The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 12-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Cellar Quilt

I am not a quilter or quilty person by any means, but I noticed an interest in this, so....

Who is interested in making a square for a cellar quilt -either a nice artsy patchwork square to reflect their quilting hobby, or a square cut from a piece of their old clothing, or a knitted/croched square attached to fabric.. or...or...or..... And who is interested in putting it together?

Sounds like we would need a volunteer to sew them all together, and someone to do the quilt thing, and maybe even another person to be the square receiver.... then we could auction it, all monies to support the Cellar....
Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Yay... this sounds like fun. I wish I had time for a 3rd quilt, but I could certainly do a square!

Depending on how long it takes to finish the kiddos (clearly I won't be done by Christmas) and how long to obtain enough to complete the Celler project... I may be able to do some sewing together or something... I'll have to play it by ear... in any case... I'll contribute a square for Flint and myself... and I may have leftovers from the Kids... who knows...

How fun! Long distance stitch and bitch... lol!
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I'm in.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

As I mentioned in an accidental thread jack, I'll put the front, batting, and backing together!
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
glatt

I don't know anything about quilting and don't really sew, but if someone wants me to go through my unused rag pile to get some fabric from some old T-Shirts or maybe even kids' PJs, then just let me know.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

/thread/ You know, that just gave me a great idea... The baby quilt I made for my daughter started to fall apart at some of the seams after a few washings. It was my first and obviously I made some mistakes. I have always felt bad about that, but I could make her a new quilt out of her old baby clothes... I kept them all around in case we had another. She could even help me make it!!! /hijack/
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'd knit a square for a Cellar quilt ... the end product could be auctioned on ebay for cellar funds or for a charitable cause ...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Would this involve me actually having to sew in some way? I mean...i'm happy to cut up a piece of cloth, but I really don't get along with sewing needles. It's a mutual antipathy.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
DanaC

Would a square of Jute canvass be any good? *knows feck all about textiles other than 'don't mix colours with whites' in the wash....*

I ask because I have a small collection of Leeds University Library bags made from Jute.....but that's probably not as durable as cloth...and thinking about it would not be very soft and quilty...

Bad idea...ignore it. It'll go away.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'll knit a square, but somebody else woudl need to sew it or something.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
monster

well it seams trease is all up for the sewing business..... and yes i reckon a library bag square would be awesome -just need to back it with something else... maybe...

<<<also knows fuck all about it really.....

.....and i'm assuming knitted squares would either be fine in themselves or could be appliqued onto a backing panel..... or do we need a Cellar Afghan too?

BTW Zengum has an great idea along this general theme, but I'll wait for him to share it (bless his cotton socks, he PMd me to make sure my feelings wouldn't be hurt because his idea is better (imo) -wasn't even my idea in the first place -awesome though it is-, I just thought a new thread was required before it got lost in the abyss of good ideas)
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Juniper
I know, right?

I said I'd help some way - I could sew the squares together, or I *can* quilt or tie the thing, just don't expect perfection if it's quilted, and I hope it wouldn't be too big! A twin-size is about all I can handle.

I would think that "anything goes" but it might be nice to personalize it in some way.

Even the guys could get into this in a manly kind of way, surely there's something crafty you can do. Tie-dye a hanky. Or cut up a t-shirt with something funny on it.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #13
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If the cellar quilt is a go, I guess I can take a good patch from some suitably interesting old T-shirt, and maybe tidy up the edges a little, but that's about the limit of my sewing abilities.

Should I start the other thread, Monster?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #14
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
If the cellar quilt is a go, I guess I can take a good patch from some suitably interesting old T-shirt, and maybe tidy up the edges a little, but that's about the limit of my sewing abilities.

Should I start the other thread, Monster?
FFS yes, or just add it here...

get on with it!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
DanaC

Tie-dying hankies is manly?