Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #16
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitspapa
Must be fun in an airplane. I guess it happens all the time, and isn't too big a deal...
I don't see how the hell anyone could survive that plane strike. Guess it's like XOB said ....Looking for earth... Good thing those poor bastards weren't grounded.

And o yeah: I've learned lightning strikes FROM THE GROUND UP. It takes the pos. plus neg. to make it happen. Evidently (in my image) the pos met neg at about 60 feet above terra firma. No need to be afraid.... I think if lightning wants you, it gets you. Pardon me while I say ten Hail Marys.....Capnhowdy is NOT really a dark being....... I promise, God..... Oh what the hell.....I'll take my chanc.......BLIP!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
Bitman
cellar smellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
With rubber tires. Don't forget that part.
Rubber tires don't help. The lightning already jumped through a mile of air, what's another 10 inches? It's the faraday cage that saves you.

We just saw the lightning show at the science museum in Bahston. Lady put her hands on the inside wall of the cage while it got whacked with lightning. So the shifter's probly safe too.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Was recently kayaking on a large open section of the river when a very strong and windy thunderstorm finally caught up with me. So where is the best place to be? Well, what does lightning seek? Conductive earth. A bad spot might be on the shore. Then your body becomes a path from sky to conductive earth. Same might be said of a rock in the middle of the river. When lightning struck the water, divers who were free floating were unaffected. But those touching the bottom felt some shock. IOW I just stayed in my boat and kept paddling. Meanwhile, the paddle is wood. The boat is fiber glass. Lightning is more likely to find other humans better connected to earth.

BTW it is also a myth that lightning strikes highest points. Often lightning strikes farther down the mountainside - where more conductive earth is located. Don't get in the way of 18 wheelers or lightning. Both go where THEY want to go. Better to give both a path where they want to go.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy

And o yeah: I've learned lightning strikes FROM THE GROUND UP. It takes the pos. plus neg. to make it happen. Evidently (in my image) the pos met neg at about 60 feet above terra firma.
I remember reading a Popular Science, about the time movable type was invented, that on rare occasions lightning jumps from the earth to cloud rather than the other way around. They called it "super lightning" and said it was very strong.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitman
Rubber tires don't help. The lightning already jumped through a mile of air, what's another 10 inches? It's the faraday cage that saves you.

We just saw the lightning show at the science museum in Bahston. Lady put her hands on the inside wall of the cage while it got whacked with lightning. So the shifter's probly safe too.
But that's what they told me in Driver's Ed in the 10th grade. You mean they lied?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #21
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

[quote] BTW it is also a myth that lightning strikes highest points. Often lightning strikes farther down the mountainside - where more conductive earth is located.[quote] tw

True... If you look at the first image, there were lots of places it could have struck that were much higher than the tree that was "chosen".