Romantic Necromancer

ok, let's go on

hi Burce
alamuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #32
No_TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Many TW electronics remove their factories such as BenQ, Acer, VIA, into China mainland. So they don't hope war. No one like war, but we cannot let our land depart. We must try out best to protect our mother land.

Now the two sides all don't hope the war, but the war risk is on rocket. Hope we find other peaceful way to resolve it.
严重支持!!!!!!!!! :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
Old 07-19-2004, 08:47 PM   #33
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing But Net
Anyway, I want to ask the Chinese guys: If Taiwan declares independence, do you think there will be war? This matter is of great interest to me.
I heard one of our liberal politicians complaining last week that the Taiwan issue is the most important world problem at the moment (in his opinion), and he was disgusted that the world's media has been largely ignoring it. Until I heard this I did not realise that the topic had become such a hot issue. I know the subject flares up from time to time, but it seems that things are starting to get serious. Anyone know what has suddenly happened to stir this all up again?

I wonder what Bush will do if a military conflict does flare up between China and Taiwan. I guess the US is already fully committed elsewhere?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 PM   #34
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave
.............I guess the US is already fully committed elsewhere?

Only in terms of ground troops. We have plenty ships and missiles and other equipment.

But then again, I dont know. I'm certain someone will have more to add.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #35
No_TimE

Hope peace...
Old 07-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #36
jaguar
whig

bluesdave, a case of grumbling and echos, from what I can get my grubby paws on it seems someone tipped off a hostile intel service about something funny going on which bounced up the line resulting in the recent exercises in the region which didn't amuse china...There is a serious internal battle going on inside the chinese government at the moment.

The biggest danger is if war results due to internal.....unfriendlyness inside the chinese government at the moment, this is a real possibility. Both sides are rational and the ramifications from China would be both large and highly detrimental, I have interests in 2 facilities in China and I know if such an event occurred I'd be pulling escape clauses and getting the hell out.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #37
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Thanks Jag.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #38
Billy
Professor

I don't think China navy is strong enough. We still afraid that the USA and other western countries, especially Enlglish, will block China.

I hate any war. I don't like watch the USA and other countries's people beheaded in Iraq.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #39
Billy
Professor

I posted good Kuangfu movie pix in Entertainment. Hope you go to see and like.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I don't think China navy is strong enough. We still afraid that the USA and other western countries, especially Enlglish, will block China.

I hate any war. I don't like watch the USA and other countries's people beheaded in Iraq.
That wouldn't make sense, Billy. With all the money invested in Chinese production and being dependant on the Chinese goods, by all the western countries. Walmart wouldn't allow it.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #41
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_TimE

2. Taiwan IS A PATR OF CHINA!! Anyone attempt to disrupt China MUST will be blessed!! And Chinese goverment NEVER GIVE UP solving the problem by FORCE!! If Taiwan declares independence i think Chinese military circles won't turn a blind eye to it!! A just war may not be avoided.
Wow, when did I miss this thread (under the coy guise of a rainstorm in Beijing, probably).

Taiwan deserves its independence, particularly as a country that for 50-60 years has worked diligently at progressing its own politics and economy. In the golden ages, one would not be surprised at the prospect of a war, but this is 2004 and that is just ridiculous. Taiwan and most of eastern China are far, far beyond third-world status.

What the hell does China want with an island the size of New Jersey, anyway? To feed off its export economy, which is far superior (in proportion) to China's GDP (which actually isn't so bad, just diluted by a large population).

U.S. has pledged its support for Taiwan in the event of an assault - Naval fleet will move out of Japan and other South Pacific bases can mobilize quickly. That would be a spectacular clash of nations.

President Chen has my full support and that of my entire family as well. I hope China will come to its senses one day and rid of this ridiculous "special autonomous region" bullshit.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #42
jaguar
whig

breakingnews, you might want to read some Chinese history to understand how and why.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #43
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
breakingnews, you might want to read some Chinese history to understand how and why.
How and why what?

I won't say I'm an expert on Chinese history (not modern chinese history at least - I've studied ancient history through a few centuries ago).
Old 07-20-2004, 03:05 PM   #44
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave
I heard one of our liberal politicians complaining last week that the Taiwan issue is the most important world problem at the moment (in his opinion), and he was disgusted that the world's media has been largely ignoring it. Until I heard this I did not realise that the topic had become such a hot issue. I know the subject flares up from time to time, but it seems that things are starting to get serious. Anyone know what has suddenly happened to stir this all up again?

I wonder what Bush will do if a military conflict does flare up between China and Taiwan. I guess the US is already fully committed elsewhere?
Stirred recently because of a controversial presidential election in Taiwan in March ... Chen shui-bian, one of the stronger voices in Taiwan's bid for independence, won against a joint party of his two opponents in the prior election.

People say the election was won by too small of a margin, that Chen staged his own assassination attempt the day before the election to draw sympathy votes. Demonstrators protested night and day the minute the results were announced, right through the court's ruling that the election was valid. Probably are rallies still going on there and across the Formosa strait in China, too.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #45
jaguar
whig

One China, the idea that Taiwan and Tibet (and some other geographical oddities) has been a central part of communist national spirit for decades, what you're seeing in this thread is a demonstration of how a nationalised education designed to drive an agenda embeds an opinion in national psyche. It's all about national spirit, geopolitics and economics be damned. Thankfully economic intergration means too many people have too much to lose but it's going to be used as a pole to beat certain governmental figures around the head with and everyone will get a little uppity while they sort out who's boss.