The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

I Saw Her In The Vegetable Section

For about a year now I've seen her on her recreational walks around the neighborhood. As the weekend anchor for one of our city's TV stations, she's about as close to a "celebrity" as we have. Because my schedule and lifestyle leads me to watching her weekend newscasts, she is more the "face" of the TV station for me than the others on its staff; one of which is sort of an icon for the city.

I always said to myself "One of these days I'm just gonna introduce myself and tell her I watch and enjoy her Sunday morning broadcast." And that would not be a lie; she takes more of a mellow approach to news, as opposed to the "in your face" style of the weekday shows.

So there she was, in the vegetable section of the supermarket. Should I boldly walk up and introduce myself? I think I went into auto-mode as I did just that. She was very nice. We chatted just a bit, I shook her hand, complimented her weekend anchoring, and went on my way with my little green bachelor grocery basket.

I felt that there could have been so much more. How can a guy know where he stands in such a situation? "Am I coming off creepy? How many other people recognize her and fawn over her semi-celebrity status?"

Let's face it, weekend newscasters are the benchwarmers in the major-market TV news biz. I usually get the feeling that most of them are destined to ALWAYS be the weekend anchor; try as they do, they just don't have that extra "something" that elevates them to the weekday slot.

But they still are ON TV! Just those few hours of face-time every weekend gives them some status; at least more than myself. So they remain semi-intimidating to your average Joe like me.

"What should I do? Am I even really attracted to her beyond the fact that I see her on TV? She's probably married (but I saw no ring). Wouldn't re-introducing myself and giving her my card come off as fucking creepy? But how else could a potential relationship (and I don't even know if that could ever happen or even if that's what I would want) get started?

As I placed my Shittake mushrooms in my little green bachelor basket, I saw her turn down aisle 8. "Maybe I'll just do it. What would be the harm? Oh God."

You women should be listening here; it doesn't matter if you are a weekend news anchor, men just get a bit flustered when they have to make "that move," the action of interaction that gets things started. Sure, women have become more adept at doing that, but I still think the expectation is that it's the man who has to take that risk.

"OK. She's at the dairy section. No narrow aisle to confine us. OK. Here goes..."

I said somthing really stupid like "Sorry to be so forward but..." and then I gave her my card (I work for the National Park Service, so that's kind of a buffer). To my surprise, she said "Oh, let me give you mine." Wow. That wasn't that hard.

And then I read her bio on the TV station's Web page. It said she was married with two kids. But I think she's divorced, because I've never seen her with husband, and she dyed her hair since coming to my city. Whatever. At least I tried, and who knows what the future may bring? Maybe we'll be just friends. And that's fine with me. I bet a weekend news anchor could use some friends.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

my $.02 is if you get the chance again, go for it and see what happens. what have you got to lose? and btw, i recently went on a couple of dates with one of phoenix's tv news folks, not an anchor, but recognizeable. she said that many of them are single because no decent guys ask them out because they are intimidated by the "tv thing". as she put it - "i'm just a girl with a bunch of makeup who can speak clearly and sound like i know what i'm talking about".
Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Quote:
she said that many of them are single because no decent guys ask them out because they are intimidated by the "tv thing". as she put it
Wow. I actually thought about that very concept. Kinda makes sense when you think about it.

Maybe I should just be that bold, assertive guy who is not intimidated by the "tv thing."

I still worry about the bio that says she is married. Hell, if she's divorced, I'm good with kids. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't know about Atlanta, but the Philly weekend anchors are waiting for a regular slot on the morning news so they can work up to the evening news then the National news.

In reality, most will have to leave town for a shot at moving up and while they are biding their time, working a day or two each week, they're making several hundred thousand dollars a year more than I do.

Go for it, you could become Mr Weekend Anchor.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

She came in through the bathroom window
protected by a silver spoon
But now she sucks her thumb and wonders
By the banks of her own lagoon
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

For a while, my cousin was dating one of the local on-air newsies, but I'm not sure if she was an anchor, possibly one of the roving reporters who air segments.

If you want to see a strange market, go to California. All of the female anchors there seem to be ex-fashion models. This makes for some truly inane on-air chatter, especially when discussing social events and the fashions worn to such.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
Flint
Snowflake

Good for you. Going back and talking to her is one more step than I would have done.
I would've stopped at thinking about it, and then always regretting not doing it, forever.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Very gutsy move Pangloss. That is a difficult dynamic for all involved. I used to see one of our crews out quite a lot, but there were no Griff Types.

One of our stations has been running favorite teachers thing where kids submit a teachers name and they get interviewed. The woman who does the interviews is supposed to be really pretty. The backup sports guy/ producer has started fencing at my daughters club and we were talking with another Dad who teaches in a local district with a really handsome young teacher that the girls keep submitting, since he's so cute. He didn't want to have anything to do with the interview because he knows it has nothing to do with his teaching competence. He's new and has a lot to learn. He finally said yes, promising himself he was going to ask the reporter out after the interview. The station sent one of the guys over instead.

Last edited by Griff; 11-12-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
...talking with another Dad who teaches in a local district with a really handsome young teacher that the girls keep submitting, since he's so cute.
He didn't want to have anything to do with the interview because he knows it has nothing to do with his teaching competence.
He finally said yes, promising himself he was going to ask the reporter out after the interview. The station sent one of the guys over instead.
Did he ask the reporter out afterwards?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Act Two

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a movie; not one of those existential movies where random shit happens, but a highly scripted movie, where coincidence is used to move the plot along.

The following is all true:

After yesterday's encounter with the pretty weekend newscaster, and our business card exchange, I felt pretty good; probably why I posted a note here. So, this morning, after about a good month-and-a half, I decdided to do a sit-down bagel and lox and Sunday NYT solo breakfast at the only deli in Atlanta that is actually a real deli, complete with NY Jews that know about bagels and cream cheese and lox and such. As a Goy, I just LOVE a good jewish deli.

So, there I am, reading my paper and eating my bagel with "belly lox" when, across the dining room, THERE SHE IS, WITH A GUY!!!!

This small world of mine just got smaller. The boyfriend/husband thing kinda took the wind out of my sails, but it was weird, almost like destiny. Seriously, I haven't been to this deli in soooooo long; and there she was. Oy!!

Whatever. I'll send her an e-mail tomorrow just to say "thanks for your card," keep it cool. Hey, like anyone, maybe she's keeping her options open. Just be yourself, right? Don't burn bridges, right? You never know, right? It is a movie, after all.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
SeleneRati
Come Spoon With Me

I'm glad to see that you are at least trying. Good luck to you whatever happens.
- Robert Fritz
SeleneRati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Quote:
SeleneRati
Is that Hindi? The "rati" part reminds me of Indian names.

Thanks for the encouragement. But I always wonder if I'm better off alone anyway. I'm one of those "grass is always greener" people.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Maybe the guy she was with was her brother? I think you should just ask her out for lunch or something. Discuss current events or something. If she is indeed married still, she'll be sure to tell you. Nothing ventured nothing gained. That's what I think.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or he might be gay....a cow orker... old friend.... brother-in-law.....married.
Millions of possibilities, she's still fair game. At worst, she might turn out to be a good friend. Roll on.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Yeah

Quote:
Roll on.
Like the deodorant!!! Ban Roll-on!!!

Thanks guys.... I was thinking that guy could be the brother, or the "cow orker."

Whatever. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I already wrote the e-mail message...just wanted to wait a day or two so as not to seem desperate.