The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aug 29th 2018: Reef

Quote:
It's not every day that you find a huge, previously undiscovered biological feature sitting right off a major U.S. coastline, but that's exactly what scientists manning the research vessel Atlantis stumbled upon while exploring some 160 miles off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina.

Quote:
There, about a half mile below the ocean's surface, lies a dense forest of deep sea coral that stretches for at least 85 miles. It's a humongous ecosystem that has probably been developing for at least a few hundred thousand years.

Quote:
The existence of the reef, which was initially flagged from sonar mapping, was officially confirmed using a pair of submersible dives. The expedition's original mission was to explore uncharted canyons, gas seeps and coral ecosystems off the Atlantic coast. No one thought that they'd find something like this, though.

Quote:
The live corals are living upon giant mounds of rubble that were constructed by the corals that came before them. It's a massive piece of scaffolding that accumulates as corals die and leave their skeletal remains behind. Cordes estimates that coral has likely been growing here for millennia. He also predicts that the reef probably plays a keystone role in the region's fisheries. The team witnessed at least one giant swordfish cruising over the corals during their time in the submersible.
Unfortunately Trump’s decision to allow offshore drilling on both coasts may kill the fishery industries for good.

link
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I enjoyed that link it was good reading. Fortunately I will probably be dead before the ocean is in my neighborhood. Buy land in the mountains for your descendants.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I live at ~400 feet above sea level, and the maximum rise is ~230 feet. I'm safe!
(Assuming they redo all the power, water, sewage and transportation infrastructure that relies on sea level being what it is).
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
glatt

Off to Google Earth...

I live at 287 feet, it claims. I work at 57 feet. Ut oh.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I live at ~400 feet above sea level, and the maximum rise is ~230 feet. I'm safe!
(Assuming they redo all the power, water, sewage and transportation infrastructure that relies on sea level being what it is).
Whats cheaper bridges or ferry boats? I imagine swimming classes will be popular in the future clothing that one can float in, stuff like that.

Well our sons won't grow up to be jet pilots as there won't be room for airports. Probably most will be in the shipping industry. Elbow room is going to be tight. If you need disability, stamps or nursing home care they will kill you and get you out the way. You can have as many children as you can afford, but after the first child the others will be sterilized. Damn I am starting to get grim.2˘.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I got mountains right here, and I got mountains out yonder, I reckon I'm safe.

Ach! The gulf! Fuck! I'm livin in a gutter!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote