The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #286
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I never heard of this guy until I read his obituary.

Quote:
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- Wearing Superman pajamas and covered with his Batman blanket, comic book illustrator Dave Cockrum died Sunday.
The 63-year-old overhauled the X-Men comic and helped popularize the relatively obscure Marvel Comics in the 1970s. He helped turn the title into a publishing sensation and major film franchise.
Cockrum died in his favorite chair at his home in Belton, South Carolina, after a long battle with diabetes and related complications, his wife Paty Cockrum said Tuesday.
Quote:
Cockrum and Wein added their own heroes to the comic and published "Giant-Size X-Men No. 1" in 1975. Many signature characters Cockrum designed and co-created -- such as Storm, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus -- went on to become part of the "X-Men" films starring Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry.
Cockrum received no movie royalties, said family friend Clifford Meth, who organized efforts to help Cockrum and his family during his protracted medical care.
"Dave saw the movie and he cried -- not because he was bitter," Meth said. "He cried because his characters were on screen and they were living."
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #287
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Bummer. I always knew that the movie renditions of X-Men were very, very true to the characters. Now that I know one of the creators thought so, too, I feel even more enthusiastic about this particular adaptation.

For someone like me, who grew up with superheroes, the quality of big screen renditions is a matter of some import, right up there with having a proper James Bond.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #288
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

One of the few things that I disliked about the LOTR movies is that they changed the character of Faramir. I don't mind some tweaking of a story as long as they are faithful to the characters.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #289
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Peter Boyle died today. "ut'n onna itz" will never sound the same.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #290
rkzenrage

What the hell is that stuff (other than heart disease) that killed him? Never heard of it.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #291
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cell, is an incurable but treatable disease.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #292
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I'll never forget watching Young Frankenstein at the drive-in as a kid. My sister and I both got to wear pyjamas, and stay up way past our bedtimes. Every time I'd see Peter Boyle in something after that, I'm reminded of that fun night.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #293
lookout123
changed his status to single

HOLY CRAP!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #294
rkzenrage

<Feels old.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #295
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Momofuku Ando

Momofuku Ando

Quote:
TOKYO -- Momofuku Ando, the Japanese inventor of instant noodles - a dish that has sustained American college students for decades - has died. He was 96.
Quote:
In 1958, his "Chicken Ramen" - the first instant noodle - was introduced after many trials. Following its success, the company added other products, such as the "Cup Noodle" in 1971. "The Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum" opened in 1999 in Ikeda City in western Japan commemorating his inventions.
Domo arigato Ando-san.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #296
Elspode

Good long life, and he created a fundamental product. We should all be so fortunate.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #297
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Denny Doherty 1/4 of the Mamas & Papas (and the male lead on most of their tunes) has passed away at age 66.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #298
Elspode

Michelle Phillips must be feeling her own mortality rather keenly at the moment. God, I love that group.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #299
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Cass Eliots' death was the only celebrity death that ever made me cry.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #300
Explicit
Floss with my nut-hairs

John Candy

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....