The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #3421
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Too many kids get put needlessly onto meds for 'problems' which aren't medical.

But...some kids need those meds. From your description, your little boy's brain chemistry is painting him a very hostile and unforgiving world. Sounds like your therapist's experience with his own son is worth some thought. You may be able to save li'l lookout a lot of unhappiness.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #3422
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

The world isn't hostile and unforgiving?

Meds please.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #3423
monster
I hear them call the tide

Lookout, it's not necessarily a life sentence, growing up is hard enough as it is. Meds can help the sufferer while they deal with the regular growing up stuff and aquire coping strategies. As they mature and have made sense of some of their little bit of the world, many people are able to wean themselves off the meds. Michael Phelps for example.

I'm a knee-jerk anti-meds person too, but in this case it sounds like meds may be in the best interests of LL right now.

God luck to all of you, I hope LL feels happier soon.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #3424
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Lookout-

As far as little lookout is concerned:I would definitely go with a second opinion before meds. It could not hurt. And I think it's worth it. Please take him to someone else to get another diagnosis, this sounds irregular, maybe he just needs time and therapy to become his natural self again. This could be a depressive phase that even normal people go through.

Different therapists advise different things and unfortunately, some are more acute than others. Second opinion that situation, stat!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #3425
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Dana: If The Bill is anything to go by, there WILL be paperwork, and lots of it. Refusing a prisoner medical treatment is outrageous, and if you have the time and energy to spare I would encourage you to look into it; but don't spend time you could better use elsewhere. That cop does need a boot up the bum.

I imagine you'd have the political connections to at least find out in advance the name of the paperwork you are looking for - maybe the "custody records" or something. Knowing what you need before you face the bureaucracy will help.

Lookout: best of luck with LL. That lad rocks and I hope he comes through this all intact. I agree with your opinions and default avoidance of meds, but if he needs them, he needs them, and I am sure you'd be using them as part of a complete cognitive/behavioural programme and get him off the pills ASAP. Give the lad a from us all.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #3426
monster

Just learned a friemd underwent a mastectomy for breast cancer. It wasn't at all advanced, but there were several other "dubious" spots that would need to be watched and she's a single mom of two with a loser ex, huge un-dumpable mortgage, full-time job..... so she didn't want the constant fight and worry and uncertainty and chance of missing something and leaving her children....
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #3427
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Sounds like she made a tough, but good decision monster. I'm sure you'll be able to give her plenty of support through the next while till she gets used to the way her body is now. I hope she's coping ok with it all. I can't imagine going through that process.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #3428
monster

She hardly told anybody either, so it's hard to know when to step in and when to back off. I taught math to one of her daughters yesterday and she seemed to be holding up well, laughing and getting on with it (I heard there were a few meltdowns on the day of surgery...). here's hoping the worst is past, I don't know if she'll have to do chemo or anything. She has her mom with her, al least, though, who seems to be a tower of strength.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #3429
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

my thoughts are with her, monster. I can't imagine...I only have a few scars but it has changed the way I look at myself---to lose a breast---I don't know if I could have held up. Peace to her and her family.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #3430
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm sure she's glad to have you there for her, monster, even if she's not making a big deal about it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #3431
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm collecting Jim Shore figurines and I can't help myself!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #3432
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I made a total rookie mistake today. (You don't just run backups. You also do test restores periodically to make sure they're running PROPERLY.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #3433
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Heh. At a previous employer, they were migrating email over to a new server, and somehow got it wrong, deleting every single email account in the company, along with all associated emails, addressbooks, etc.

It was only then that they discovered they'd been doing backups incorrectly for four years. "Test restore? What's that?"

Which is to say, at least rookie mistakes still way better than firing mistakes, right?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #3434
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I'm collecting Jim Shore figurines and I can't help myself!
But, but, they're so, so, acceptable/normal/middle class.
Hell, they won't offend a n y o n e.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #3435
Cloud

Dr. called--wants to see me re: my sonogram results.

probably means uterine cysts, ovarian cysts, cancer, or something else wrong in there.

I'm a bit scared.

Tags
swiss