The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #91
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P View Post
above us on the food chain would be viruses, bacteria, who feed off a lot of life forms, including us. we might consume fungus, but that does not rank us higher on the food chain than the life forms mentioned above.
♪♫♫♪♫ The ciiiircle oooof liiiiiiife! ♪♫♫♪♫
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #92
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

More squares.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #93
Pie
Gone and done

It's supposed to be musical notes. Sorry.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #94
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

whip

Imagine the world without humans. I am sure you have some image in your head. What does it look like?

Where is the purpose in that?

Don't mention man or what he has done to ruin it.
Just the natural world as it would be without man.
What purpose would there be in that?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #95
Z҉A҉L҉G҉O
He Waits Behind The Wall

The purpose of a world without man is the same as the purpose of a world with man.
Both comprise the null set.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #96
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
whip

Imagine the world without humans. I am sure you have some image in your head. What does it look like?
i'm obviously not a religious person, but i have studied religion.
while studying christianity, i did picture what heaven would be like....and you've just described my image exactly.

Quote:
Where is the purpose in that?
you're speaking like there's some kind of purpose with us in this world.

Quote:
Don't mention man or what he has done to ruin it.
Just the natural world as it would be without man.
What purpose would there be in that?
i'm thinking of the cement prison that we've built on top of the pillow that existed
i'm thinking of the waters and air being clean.
to sum it up for ya, my images of hell, is that which i've witnessed in this life on this earth we fantasies is ours.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #97
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:

i'm thinking of the cement prison that we've built on top of the pillow that existed
to sum it up for ya, my images of hell, is that which i've witnessed in this life on this earth we fantasies is ours.
You live in Canada right?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #98
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You live in Canada right?
oui, however, i have travelled 13 years of my life.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #99
skysidhe

Zalgo said what I was looking for or it is at least it is what I was thinking as well.

There isn't a difference. Except the world is a natural world. Maybe if man lived like the American Indians you would find that respect toward the earth those humans had more redeeming.

Quote:
i'm obviously not a religious person, but i have studied religion.
while studying christianity, i did picture what heaven would be like....and you've just described my image exactly.
I think this bothers you more than you want to admit. I think you want there to be a god and heaven.

Quote:
you're speaking like there's some kind of purpose with us in this world.
No you are. You keep talking about pink unicorns, religion, the church,pressing the button if someone cannot give you one purpose for the existence of humans and I haven't seen one person arguing that point on a religious level.

Quote:
ok

I don't think anyone would argue with that and so it is the heart of the matter finally? I apologize for my confusion but this has been a meandering course of contradictions.

Man's purpose then should be proactive if something about the world is wrong. Man's purpose is always try to improve,learn and become a contributing member for the good of the world in which they live.

Again why not join Greenpeace or some organization like it. There are many that support the natural world.

Man's purpose is to do good in the world before one takes his last breath. That brings meaning to it. Everyone's purpose is different.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #100
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
There isn't a difference. Except the world is a natural world. Maybe if man lived like the American Indians you would find that respect toward the earth those humans had more redeeming.
American Indians still destroyed the environment, there is really nothing anyone can do to avoid it. Hell, even other animals do it to a point. Cows will eat all the grass in a particular field and will have to move on to another. Humans do the same but just on a much larger scale.

Its just that problems occur when a population stops being self-sustainable.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #101
SamIam

All this crap about purpose is extremely beside the point. As the Buddha said, we all suffer. We suffer because of our desires. Always we are pulling things toward us or pushing them away. All we have of life is this present moment. The past is gone and the future never comes because its always just today. Treat other beings (especially cats) with kindness and strive to do right action and calm the mind. That's it. No pink unicorns needed. You argue about purposes while your life passes you by.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #102
skysidhe

My point pierce was they originally tried to live in 'harmony' with the land. Nothing is absolute.

Which just reminded me of 'green' technology which attempts to make society become responsible for the earth.

lol sam. ( the part about cats )
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #103
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
My point pierce was they originally tried to live in 'harmony' with the land. Nothing is absolute.
That is more of a stereotype then anything. Every culture destroys it environment. It is true that some native populations were much more respectful to the environment then most "Old World" populations, but I think a lot of "natives living in harmony with the Earth" stuff is highly romanticized, especially when you generalize the entire group of American Indians.

Also, my point is not to be picky but to show that populations that live in harmony with the Earth are extremely rare and romanticized. It is also something that would be impossible for a non-hunter gatherer society to achieve. That is why I would stress sustainability over anything.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 AM   #104
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Quote:
ok

I don't think anyone would argue with that and so it is the heart of the matter finally? I apologize for my confusion but this has been a meandering course of contradictions.
Wrong, I will. The reason for all that concrete, is people were tired of wallowing in the mud, you describe an a "pillow".
You wax poetic about unfettered nature, like the world without people would be a giant Maxfield Parrish painting. Bullshit, go camping in the rain.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #105
regular.joe
Старый сержант

What I think this has been, is an exorcise in mongoso Ego. Really, I'm so damn smart that I know everyone else in the world, that's right, everyone...the entire human race is fucking this place up. It would be better if they were all just gone.

Sure, we will all just drop dead, just for you.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote