The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #76
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Considering the closed method of money transfer in the Islamic world I am sure it would be difficult to follow the money trail. Sort of like following the money trail of a Synagogue, the donors are hidden.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #77
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Let them build it... then we can crash a plane into it.
One can only hope you're a pilot.

Even bringing up something tw said about a zillion years ago didn't divert this post from being one of the most hateful things I've ever read, and not just toward the muslims: it was quite disrespectful to 9/11 survivors as well. I was going to ignore the ugliness, but hey, you know me.

I think merc just likes to *shock* us.

Keep up the good work, you good man deep down inside.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #78
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Considering the closed method of money transfer in the Islamic world I am sure it would be difficult to follow the money trail. Sort of like following the money trail of a Synagogue, the donors are hidden.
Agreed, they are in fact having a complete network system to transfer even a single penny according to one article I read some time ago. It will be more like trying to find sand in sand...........until/unless there is a sabotage.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #79
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I believe Mayor Bloomberg made a heroic statement here....

Bold is mine.

Quote:
<snip>
...The simple fact is this building is private property, and the owners have a right to use the building as a house of worship.

The government has no right whatsoever to deny that right - and if it were tried, the courts would almost certainly strike it down as a violation of the U.S. Constitution. Whatever you may think of the proposed mosque and community center, lost in the heat of the debate has been a basic question - should government attempt to deny private citizens the right to build a house of worship on private property based on their particular religion? That may happen in other countries, but we should never allow it to happen here. This nation was founded on the principle that the government must never choose between religions, or favor one over another.
The World Trade Center Site will forever hold a special place in our City, in our hearts. But we would be untrue to the best part of ourselves - and who we are as New Yorkers and Americans - if we said 'no' to a mosque in Lower Manhattan.
Quote:
Let us not forget that Muslims were among those murdered on 9/11 and that our Muslim neighbors grieved with us as New Yorkers and as Americans. We would betray our values - and play into our enemies' hands - if we were to treat Muslims differently than anyone else. In fact, to cave to popular sentiment would be to hand a victory to the terrorists - and we should not stand for that.

For that reason, I believe that this is an important test of the separation of church and state as we may see in our lifetime - as important a test - and it is critically important that we get it right.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #80
abbyd
Person Who Has Posted

Mayor Bloomberg is right, but I wish those Muslims would consider that going against popular sentiment doesn't help their cause much. If the majority are offended, they are right to express their opposition.

The telling thing is, there might be protests, but there won't be murders and bombs and such, as there would be in certain other countries... I think it'll be a symbol of tolerance, though I count myself as one who is offended by it at the same time.
abbyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The telling thing is, there might be protests, but there won't be murders and bombs and such, as there would be in certain other countries...
Hopefully.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #82
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyd View Post
I think it'll be a symbol of tolerance, though I count myself as one who is offended by it at the same time.
So what would you say had bin Laden been a computer scientist? Would you ban all computer stores from lower Manhattan?

11 September was not about Islam. It was 100% about bin Laden and his organization - Al Qaeda. Nothing more. You should only be offended by one thing. The American president all but protected bin Laden. Even disbanned Alec Station. Let bin Laden run free. Killed 4000 good American soldiers conducting war on a mythical enemy - while letting bin Laden run free.

If anything should offend you, it is George Jr's picture anywhere on the island of Manhattan.

Every light was flashing red. He even had a memo on his desk warning of the threat. And he did nothing – both before and after 11 September. That it is THE most offensive. He even let bin Laden run free. Then his political extremist propaganda machine invents and blames Islamofascism. That is also far more offensive.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #83
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Bin Laden reportedly died in the early 2000's. Apparently from some heart or kidney issue.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #84
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Now that they have Park Place, if they get Boardwalk we'll really be screwed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #85
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Now that they have Park Place, if they get Boardwalk we'll really be screwed.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #86
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

UT, you know when the Monopoly Board Bombers start, you're gonna be hauled in for questioning, right?

Except isn't the US version based in Atlantic City or something?
Ours is based in London, and while it misses obvious targets (excuse the language) like Downing Street, it's would certainly close down the rest of London. Kings Cross is one of the stations for example. Although oddly - no-one seems to agree where the Angel Islington actually is. Perhaps a joke by the makers - I certainly had a username "Islington" for a while, because obviously I am an angel. Until people from North London started to make assumptions. Never trust a North Londoner. Sez my Dad.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I had not thought of the international implications!

Yes, the original is based on street names in A.C.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #88
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Ours is based in London, and while it misses obvious targets (excuse the language) like Downing Street, it's would certainly close down the rest of London. Kings Cross is one of the stations for example. Although oddly - no-one seems to agree where the Angel Islington actually is. Perhaps a joke by the makers - I certainly had a username "Islington" for a while, because obviously I am an angel. Until people from North London started to make assumptions. Never trust a North Londoner. Sez my Dad.
Ever read or see "Neverwhere"? A lot of old tube stations make appearances.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #89
TheMercenary

SO the Imam of this place is totally anti-american and blame the US for 9/11. Nice....

And the people of NYC should support him because?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #90
TheMercenary

This guy frigging nails it...

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/06/pa...surprised.html