The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #2956
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
*waves at Grav*
back!

Damn, girl, that sounds like a handful. No wonder you've been upstairs, instead of downstairs in Teh Cellar. Like Bruce said, though, once you get the hang of things and start getting a better grip on the system, you'll have them by the short and curlies in no time.

Work your work, Dana, just come downstairs every now and then.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #2957
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Good to hear from you Dana! I know what you mean about jobs where there aren't enough hours in the day...my time in Higher Ed was just that. It takes all your mental energy all the time.

One day you'll look back and be all like "Pfffft, I got this!"
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #2958
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This is why our insurance claims department is constantly putting me on hold...
I'm curious, not suggesting anything but just curious, if let's say having a lawyer who specializes in shit like this would be worth having on retainer, someone who can just make the call and by his or her mere presence ramps the whole thing into "Let's fast track this shit because they're not fucking around."

Anonymous has something to say about this, I think.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #2959
anonymous
Operations Operative

Indeed I do.

During the course of my dealing with foreclosure proceedings with my bank, I was eventually served and the bank had gotten the ball rolling towards getting a court judgement. I still had the very remote possibility of being approved for a modification if I managed to get a $65K a year job within a month or so... Not likely.

I figured my best shot was to stall for time and so I found a lawyer who would represent me through out the proceedings for a flat rate. Our plan was to drag this out as long as we could so I had more time to find a FT job.

When we showed up for the first meeting with the bank's attorney's we left with the agreement that I would fill out, yet again, an ass load of paper work in aid of applying for another modification that would need to be reviewed, misplaced, bounced around and then denied. We set a date for the next meeting to be in mid to late October.

Three days after the meeting, the bank sent me a pre-approved provisional modification, where I need to make three trial payments, on time, and then I'm current, at a lower fixed interest rate, with an extended term capitalizing my unpaid interest.

I know if I hadn't gotten the lawyer, they wouldn't have made the offer.

Payment two is coming up and it's close but I'll make it.

So, I'm wondering if there is a 'not fucking around' effect that lawyers bring to these sorts of negotiations.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #2960
glatt

I think there is.

They put up all these hurdles in front of you and hope you will just give up. Enough people do give up that it works for them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #2961
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We're out of the game these days, not nearly as much weird stuff being done. No medical formulas replacing all food, no injectable B12. We do have a dual pill cam coming up in 2017, though. Those always get screwed up.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #2962
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I suspect that health insurance is a little different to home insurance. I know pet insurance and motor insurance are quite different in terms of industry norms in how things are done. The way that risk is calculated and taken account of is a little different. There's even a lot of difference between the way insurance works for landlord property insurance versus homeowner property insurance.

The difference with health insurance, as with pet insurance is that there is an assumption that all policy holders will, at some point, need to claim, and that the rate of claim will increase with age. With home insurance there is an assumption that only a percentage of policy holders will need to claim, and that of policyholders who do need to claim, a percentage will claim one off, and a percentage will claim multiple times, and that a percentage will claim quite small, whilst a percentage will claim big.

Home insurance is supposed to be there if you need it, as long as there was an insurable event covered under your policy. Health insurance is supposed to be there when you need it.

I used to assume that insurance companies (home insurance, not health insurance) just looked for reasons to not pay out, but my experience, both as a customer who had to claim on pet insurance and now as a trainee claims handler (well, just claims handler now :P) is that the approach is more about precision than anything. The basic principle is that they set out, as an insurer, their appetite for risk, and offer cover for specified and generally defined perils and their effects, to specified limits and with an agreed excess and set of conditions. Most of those conditions are common sense - such as maintenance of a roof. In insurance terms, there is a vast difference between a storm of sufficient intensity damaging your roof, and a roof that hasn't been maintained in two decades, and the tiles of which are already loose, springing a leak from an average rainfall. The first is an unforeseen event, and the latter is a predictable consequence of not getting a roofer in.

The basic principle is to indemnify the customer - put them back in the place they were before the unforeseen event happened. That means sometimes, if there's enough wriggle room written into the policy, then best practice is to try to make it happen within the terms of the policy - would you class a hearing aid as a 'personal item' or a piece of 'technology and entertainment e.g audio device'? It isn't specifically mentioned as either...which means it isn't specifically excluded from either cover option.

I spend way more of my time (as do most of the handlers I have seen working) trying to make a claim happen than trying to knock it back.

Sometimes the indemnity mission can lead to things that might seem unfair, or maddeningly pedantic to some. Like if one chair in a matching set is damaged can't be repaired, or can be repaired but will not look the same as the remaining set of chairs - is it indemnifying the customer to completely renew the entire set? Are we then paying for a customer who has damaged a chair to have a complete upgrade of their furniture? On the other hand, if we restore them to the position of having a complete set of furniture, but one piece no longer matches the others, then have we actually indemnified them? They are no longer in the position of having a matching set of chairs ;p

Last edited by DanaC; 09-26-2016 at 02:40 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #2963
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Has anyone heard from John Sellers? I'm worried sick
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #2964
Griff
still says videotape

Did you just...
Old 09-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #2965
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Has anyone heard from John Sellers? I'm worried sick
I solled
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #2966
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Solled?

Did you shit out loud?!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #2967
monster
I hear them call the tide

yes. very loud. or snorted
Old 09-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #2968
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I wish Urbane Guerilla was actively posting here this political season. themercenary too...
Old 09-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #2969
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I wish Urbane Guerilla was actively posting here this political season. the mercenary too...
Me too.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #2970
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!