Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

F*ck it to hell in a handbasket

Cancer that is.

there may be 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon, but cancer comes back around to kick you in the balls in about 3 degrees I reckon....

Many of you know my best friend is fighting advanced breast cancer. I was reading our local online newspaper and there was an article by a guy whose wife is even younger, with a similar diagnosis and treatment timeframe and same hospital, so I read on for a bit, and he mentioned a guy he just met who is also very young for his cancer diagnosis of Multiple Myeloma (uncurable). treatment at same hospital, just started chemo.

So i was reading that guy's blog and apparently he was a kicker for U of Michigan football team and he linked to a video of him scoring the winning field goal inthe dying seconds of a game against washington in 2002. I thought 2002, well we already owned this house then, but I wonder if he did know they guy who lived here before us -also a U of m football player. I don't know this guy personally, but he's a neighbor and close frinds with several of my pottery friends, so I sorta feel like I know him because they talk about him a lot and think it's funny we bought his wife's house. plus we inherited the remnants of his football shrine in the basement.

So anyway, I was pissed off with all this cancer shit and googled him for shits and grins and guess what.... he has terminal lung cancer, despite never smoking. his oldest kid is 10.

Fuck this fuckety fucking thing.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

fuckit
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
So anyway, I was pissed off with all this cancer shit and googled him for shits and grins and guess what.... he has terminal lung cancer, despite never smoking. his oldest kid is 10.

Fuck this fuckety fucking thing.
Shit like this makes you wonder why bother quitting smoking.

(Except that it smells awful and is expensive.)

Or quit doing any other thing you enjoy because someday you might suffer ill health from it. Because you might ANYWAY.

Damn depressing.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Fuck cancer.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Nirvana
Back in 10

Cancer can eat shit and die!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Shit like this makes you wonder why bother quitting smoking.
(Except that it smells awful and is expensive.)
Or quit doing any other thing you enjoy because someday you might suffer ill health from it. Because you might ANYWAY.
Damn depressing.
Kinda get what you mean, Juni, but to me it's like saying, "Makes you wonder why you look both ways crossing the road?"

I mean I'm a horrible poster child for the attitude that you should look after yourself, but I'm not auditioning as one. It's horrible, horrible when people who should have "deserved" better suffer. But that's nature. There is no rhyme and reason. We're sentient. We can make choices. And the majority of people will live or die by the choices they make. Some are a case of statistics (cancer more likely if you make certain choices) some are random (you walked into the McDonalds which the gunman had an issue with).

I had three grandparents who died young because they chose to live as they wanted. In an unhealthy way. Two from ignorance, one by choice. Separately, my Great Aunt followed the same lifestyle and lived to a reasonable age. Maybe self-denial would have made all of them miserable, but I don't know the absence of it made Alice any happier.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Juniper
I know, right?

Well, don't get me wrong. I quit smoking about 8 years ago and I'm glad I did. But NOW I have high blood pressure anyway. My uncle died of lung cancer and he only smoked for a brief period in his 20s. My grandma smoked every day since she was 15 and lived to be 93. You just never know what life has in store for you.

Some of the most healthy people I know are the ones who have to deal with breast cancer or other crap, while those who abuse their bodies regularly live to ripe old ages.

Maybe it's the good who die young, just like the song says. If that's the case, I'm gonna be around a while.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote