The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 01-24-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
russotto
Professor

A host is a host from coast to coast
And no one connects to a host that's close
Unless the host (that isn't close)
is busy, hung, or dead

Long seen as a .signature file on Usenet, something today reminded me of it. From my office on Ninth Avenue in King of Prussia, I can't reach Fishnet (which also has offices on Ninth Avenue in King of Prussia), nor can I reach my home (just across the river). But I have no problem reaching DSLReports out in California, or the Onion wherever they are, or several sites in the UK....
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 03:24 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Heh

I remember singing that sig with a friend of mine waaaaaaaay back in 1989!

(My traceroute says Sprint is majorly hosed this afternoon.)

Not exactly similar, but... my office is about 1000 feet from my house. Yet, when I'm home and want to connect to work, I may have to go through NYC or DC depending on how I dial in.

They say Comcast will soon have its act together in getting cable to my area, in which case I'll have @Home, and maybe I'll have to go through even more to get that 1000 feet.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 08:40 AM   #3
russotto
Professor

I've seen RCN trucks in my area-- apparently RCN is in discussion with Lower Providence to get a franchise there. That would be nice, but it's still at least a year off.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:22 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yabbut I'm in Upper Providence! Office and home.
Old 01-25-2001, 11:31 AM   #5
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

hey

hi guys,

hey, i'm in N.Phila. I -can't wait- 'till *we* get Cable Modem access gawd i'm tired of sucking the internet through a 56K straw!

i gotta vent on my ISP - they've got great cust. service *during business hours*, but have a really trailer-park approach to uptime... if their servers go down after 5PM or worse, after 5PM on a Friday, they don't get to it until either the next day or the following Monday.

yeah i should switch but their admins are helpful and responsive *when they're there*, and i use their servers alot, so i guess i'm dependant.

oprativ

Innocence is negligence.
oprativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 12:05 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

^

You're not a FishNetter, are you...?
Old 01-25-2001, 01:05 PM   #7
russotto
Professor

I can't see anyone claiming Fishnet has great customer service during business hours or any other time... though if I didn't have a cold I'd be tempted to walk over there and start making a pest of myself.
Old 01-25-2001, 02:02 PM   #8
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

hi tony, thanks for the good word over in the tech thread. i guess i'm just trying to build a very attractive package.

as for the ISP, i'm an I-Bob/North American Network subscriber. kudos to their sysadmins again, but blech to their management... wait, i feel guilty saying that... they've been very helpful to me offering personalized services... but i just wish i didn't have to wait either for hours or worse, all weekend for service to be re-established when they go down on a Hard Day's Night of CGI programming or design. got SecureCRT? y0!

ps -read the history of the cellar - cool beans, glad to be a part of internet history

op

[Edited by oprativ on 01-25-2001 at 03:11 PM]

Innocence is negligence.
oprativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 09:42 PM   #9
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

As of 4:30 this afternoon, I am no longer a FishNetter -- I managed to switch over to SNiP.

I sent out a note to everyone in my address book, telling them of the change. When my college friend from Japan sent me a note back, telling me that she'd received my new address, I figured everything was *great*!

Then I remembered the sig at the begining of this thread! :-(

Quick, someone from Phoenixville e-mail me at <garlicgrower@snip.net>! ;-D

Dinara
GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
raygberg
Neophyte-in-training

What's up with Fishnet in 2007?

Hi all--hopefully someone will see this--

I've been with the Fishnet ISP since 1996. I've remained with it due to inertia as much as anything else.

Lately, when I try to visit their recent home page, I get a "404 Not Found". When I visit home.pond.com, I get their old home page from somewhere around 1999. When I try to click on their "numbers" link, I again get "404 Not Found".

Does anyone know what's happening with Fishnet? Is it time to bail out ? Is the ship sinking?

Thanks for any replies--
Ray Greenberg
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
raygberg
Neophyte-in-training

By the way, I'm still on 56K dial-up (Go ahead and laugh).

Ray Greenberg
Old 01-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I need to pay attention. I was just about to say Welcome Back Russotto - where ya been?!?!

Anybody know why he stopped posting? Skateboard accident? Ate some bad scrapple? Bueller?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ray, I remember you from when I ran Fishnet's tech side in 1996-97. (this is Tony, at one time I was toad@pond.com) (I never forget a user.) You have revived a thread from 2001.

You should leave Fishnet now, it is done. The right time to bail was 1999-2000, or for the truly visionary, in January 1998, when I left, since I was the last person interested in actually serving customers.

If you want dial-up service just go with Earthlink. If it's available in your area, you should use Verizon's FIOS.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

There's also PA.net. A small shop with good service out of Mechanicsburg, PA. They bought my old provider years ago and I've kept my old email address with them for over ten years.

But
Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

There's also PA.net. A small shop with good service out of Mechanicsburg, PA. They bought my old provider years ago and I've kept my old email address with them for over ten years.

But not over FIOS.