The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-16-2002, 02:20 PM   #31
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

I like the idea of IRC here. Availible anywhere, client or browser. But isnt there some Aol/Aim type server availible? I know its out there, but the name evades me right now.

Ahh! Thank you sourceforge, its Jabber. Doesnt look like its what I thought it was tho.

If you need any help, I will be glad to try. Community! Horray!
Old 01-18-2002, 03:08 AM   #32
Nic Name
retired

I guess if there was a Forum for Conspiracy Theories, we could discuss stuff like this.

I never did like the "official explanation" of this accident.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 09:00 AM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

World Net Daily wrote over 200 stories on Y2K including a few that were really paranoid, saying the administration was going to use it as an excuse to declare martial law and stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:10 PM   #34
jaguar
whig

what's happening with that bais cchat client thingy?
Old 01-18-2002, 06:51 PM   #35
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nobody said they wanted it so I let it drop. People want IRC so they can run their own clients, but I don't want to run a server here, so I dunno what goes next.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:03 PM   #36
dave

I might be willing to run a server. Maybe.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:22 PM   #37
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

I'd give it 3, maybe 4 weeks before a swarm of 14 year-olds sets up hundreds of bots that watch it constantly and ruin it for everybody.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:30 PM   #38
dave

Hence setting access controls And being an Oper is a wonderful thing. Right along side of the magical K line
Old 01-19-2002, 05:01 PM   #39
Nic Name
retired

With the overwhelming popularity of Image of the Day, compared to other forums, perhaps there is an opportunity for Cartoon of the Day.

By their very nature, pictorial cartoons are thought provoking, topical, visual, and often controversial ... and just sooooo funny.

The value-add of the Cellar is the discussion of the cartoon amongst the community.

For example:
Old 01-19-2002, 05:10 PM   #40
dave

What about political cartoons? Those seem to fit that definition too...
Old 01-19-2002, 07:06 PM   #41
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The overwhelming thing with any X of the day is coming up with a new X every single day.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #42
jaguar
whig

Mabye not every day, sporadic, if i get a scanner (which is likely) iull have plenty of classics to put up for a start. I like the idea nic. It woudl really hlep livin up currant affiars too.

LOL hubris boy i *love* the sig

for example?
I love non-sequitor, i'm blessed to get it in the paper every day.

or my personal favorite

sorry about the size but its sooo good, iv'e got a friend that write beautiful stories, occasionally interjected iwth really, really, really warped, dark, deeply distrubing ones just to fuck with the year-book writers heads.

Last edited by jaguar; 01-19-2002 at 07:51 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 12:29 AM   #43
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

this has nothing to do with political cartoonage and really, i didn't read the entire thread, but i'd have to say this is a pretty funny cartoon.

dilbert cracks me up.
Attached Images

jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 01:28 AM   #44
dave

hehehehehe dilbert isn't always great, but when it's on, it's ON.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:10 AM   #45
Nic Name
retired

X of the day, is only overwhelming if only one person is responsible for sourcing it.

I gather that your concept for IotD was originally that you would source, choose and post the IotD, and the members would discuss it. IotD was probably an original forum a year ago, when there were only a handful of members, and yet, it has worked well and grown into the most popular forum.

Obviously, it's even better if the whole community participates. And with over 300 members, growing daily now, I don't think there would be any problem with good content in any X of the Day that were a popular subject.

The key may be to avoid being too specific in the thread topic, by being more inclusive in the title, where possible. That's why I suggested Cartoon of the Day, rather than Political Cartoon of the Day. The first includes content from the latter, but not vice versa.

I think the cartoons submitted in the reply posts above "illustrate" my point, that this is an excellent medium for sharing graphics, as well as community discussion of those graphics.

By the way, judging from the "conversations" in other threads, it might also be a good idea to start a forum called something like Pet Paradise, where members can share their love for particular animals, along with their pics and stories, etc. With the number of members who likely have pets of various kinds, this could be a huge interest group. (The subject of pets has a strong effect on community, because it discloses "personal" details that show the personality to the individual members.)

As well, I thought there was a pretty favorable response to the idea of Cities as a main forum topic with specific cities as sub-forum headings within which members could develop threads relevant to that city, as has happened with Philadelphia. (I think that thread ideas in one city would be food for thought, and would "spawn" similar threads in other cities.)

If you want to get that started soon, by creating a Cities forum and moving Philadelphia into that, and adding Toronto, I would help start some initial threads in Toronto, to show some of the potential. Other members may ask you to create forums for specific cities they are in, or you could seed the Cities forum at the initial setup with a few large cities to get it going faster. You may have a good idea from the members' profiles which cities may be of interest.

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-20-2002 at 09:39 AM.