The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Extreme Political Attitudes

Extreme political attitudes. There certainly is a lot of it going on, we blame a lot of it on bought & paid for politicians and their masters. But they keep getting reelected so there must be voters who share these attitudes.
From Psychological Science.

Quote:
Having to explain how a political policy works leads people to express less extreme attitudes toward the policy, according to new research published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science. The research suggests that people may hold extreme policy positions because they are under an illusion of understanding -- attempting to explain the nuts and bolts of how a policy works forces them to acknowledge that they don't know as much about the policy as they initially thought.
Quote:
In their first study, the researchers asked participants taking an online survey to rate how well they understood six political policies, including raising the retirement age for Social Security, instituting a national flat tax, and implementing merit-based pay for teachers. The participants were randomly assigned to explain two of the policies and then asked to re-rate how well they understood the policies.

As the researchers predicted, people reported lower understanding of all six policies after they had to explain them, and their positions on the policies were less extreme. In fact, the data showed that the more people's understanding decreased, the more uncertain they were about the position, and the less extreme their position was in the end.
tw will be along shortly to explain sound bites, Rush, Bush, and WMDs.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
From Psychological Science:
... As the researchers predicted, people reported lower understanding of all six policies after they had to explain them, and their positions on the policies were less extreme.
Nothing new. Adults who are still children fail to demand 'always required' reasons why and numbers. Once forced to think like an adult (a moderate), then extremist attitudes diminish.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Ah...good old Socrates.