The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It was suggested that this thread be moved to Cellar Comments and Suggestions.

Also, Cellar Comments and Suggestions is hereby renamed to Cellar Meta since it has always covered more than just comments and suggestions.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #32
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

2ndeded. Furthermore, I hereby nominate BigV to the HoF just for coming up with the idea of a cool way to preserve the classic content that shows up in here.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #33
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Griff brought to my attention this speech made by Dwight D Eisenhower, his Farewell Speech. I can only give credit to Griff, since I can't find Ike's member profile. But Ike's wise words deserve preservation. No, memorization. Read the thread for yourself. You'll agree.

Cherry picking follows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Dwight D. Eisenhower
II

We now stand ten years past the midpoint of a century that has witnessed four major wars among great nations. Three of these involved our own country. Despite these holocausts America is today the strongest, the most influential and most productive nation in the world. Understandably proud of this pre-eminence, we yet realize that America's leadership and prestige depend, not merely upon our unmatched material progress, riches and military strength, but on how we use our power in the interests of world peace and human betterment.

V

Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society's future, we-you and I, and our government-must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow.

VI

Down the long lane of the history yet to be written America knows that this world of ours, ever growing smaller, must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.

Such a confederation must be one of equals. The weakest must come to the conference table with the same confidence as do we, protected as we are by our moral, economic, and military strength. That table, though scarred by many past frustrations, cannot be abandoned for the certain agony of the battlefield.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #34
Ike
former President of these United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Griff brought to my attention this speech made by Dwight D Eisenhower, his Farewell Speech. I can only give credit to Griff, since I can't find Ike's member profile. But Ike's wise words deserve preservation. No, memorization. Read the thread for yourself. You'll agree.

Cherry picking follows...
I appreciate the kind words Citizen V. Griff was also kind enough to set up this account for me to share with anyone who wants to speak with my authority. hmmmm.... password password
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #35
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

How did the Republican Party go from "preserving assets for the future" to "grab as much as you can while you can" in 50 years?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #36
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Although he's no longer with us, IMO any Hall of Fame should include a mention of richh.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

"TW is not a Marxist. You are not a Libertarian. Elvis is still dead. Life goes on."

Richlevy makes my eyes water.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #38
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
"TW is not a Marxist. You are not a Libertarian. Elvis is still dead. Life goes on."

Richlevy makes my eyes water.
The original UG post that brought about Richlevy's reply made my eyes water.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #39
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I put myself on ignore once. Then the phone rang. It was Steven Wright. He told me to knock it off.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #40
lookout123
changed his status to single

thanks for saving that one LJ. Beestie - that is the funniest shit ever. thanks for the laugh. I remember going on the biggest Steven Wright kick years ago. The guys material just killed me.

"Nobody cares when I do important stuff. I can make birds levitate. See? Nobody cares."
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #41
Torrere
a real smartass

From the "why are there immigration laws" thread come these posts:

Originally posted by Beestie
You are both correct. Sort of. Immigration laws pacify the isolationists. The utter lack of enforcement pacifies big business. The paradox pacifies the intellectuals. The highly publicized spot enforcement pacifies the rest.

Immigration is a politicians' wet dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Since government is really just an artifact of tribal society, promoting fear of the other is governments most important job.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From Rumsfeld Rebuked by Retired Generals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouselle
I see, thanks. I thought it was probably a very dumb question, but figured staying ignorant was even dumber.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From skewed ideologies = cultish brainwashing ? I didn't want this post to be lost. Thanks Griff.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #44
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
The real war is here at home. Where our Constitution is attacked and our civil liberties are the casualties. Where the co-equal branches of government are besieged and the citizens are prisoners, suspects, subjects of investigation. All under the color of authority. "Dissent is unpatriotic" you scream. Come a little closer, ok? FUCK YOU.

Hey, really, I'm not talking to you to persuade you. I have long since concluded that your mind, which may or may not be open, is so firmly sealed up your butt that nothing can get in. Fine. You're more useful as a negative example anyway.
Sometimes things are Hall of Fame because of who wrote it. V does not use expletives so you hear it when he says it.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #45
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

From here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
this quietude comes from within as much as without. as sight is half the seer and half the seen, so is contentment half the environment, and half the perceiver of the environ. wallow in joy as we've seen you wallow in misery, take this good, taste it, smell it, feel it. remember to remember it when it is needful.
I know good stuff when I see it. Bravo.