The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #16
Brent
Banned

USA is most beautiful place for visitor. You said you live in USA. Then you must be more experienced then a visitor. USA also attracts visitors for its brilliant and excellent building structures technique. I also plan for trip in USA. Would you like to share your knowledge about its most beautiful attractions..? I will suggest you Beijing city of china for a trip. This is a historical place and best for nature lovers.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

There are great places to visit and wonderful things to see all across the country. Do you know more specifically where you will be or would like to be visiting? I know a lot about the West, having spent much of my life here, but I've traveled to almost every state. And we have lots of other members here that have more local knowledge. Where did you have in mind?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #18
Billy
Professor

NYC: want to watch one opera, dance or show in Broadway. MoMA. Some book stores and design shops. Gallery...
Take a walk in Central Park.
Read some NY Times.
I know American food probably not good for Asian. I will stay in an apartment hotel in Times Square area. I probably cook sometimes.

Seattle: Know this city from Tom Hanks film Sleepless Seattle.
Not sure visit LA/SF
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #19
Griff
still says videotape

That sounds like a wonderful adventure Billy!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
NYC: want to watch one opera, dance or show in Broadway. MoMA. Some book stores and design shops. Gallery...
Take a walk in Central Park.
Read some NY Times.
I know American food probably not good for Asian. I will stay in an apartment hotel in Times Square area. I probably cook sometimes.

Seattle: Know this city from Tom Hanks film Sleepless Seattle.
Not sure visit LA/SF
Check out this thread, Billy. There's a lot of Seattle in it.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

In the interest of equal time (kinda), check out this thread, dwellars. There's a lot of Billy in it.

I found it by luck and discovered that Billy joined the cellar before I did, among many other interesting aspects of Billy's ideas and opinions. I'm looking forward to meeting him more than ever.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #22
Billy
Professor

Thank you. lazy to post recently. Hope to see you in person next month.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Hey Billy, glad to see you back.

I'm a NYC native, don't listen to Bruce, NYC is the real USA. There are a million awesome things to do in the city. I'll compile a list for you and post it. Sadly, I live 3 hours away and don't think I can make it there to be your tour guide.

Right now there is a huge political fuss where the current mayor, DiBlasio is trying to ban the 150 year old tradition of horse drawn carriages through Central Park. It seems the stables where the horses are kept on on some very valuable real estate that some of his political contributors want to take over. You may want to put a carriage ride through the park on your list of things to do, it may be the last time anyone can do that depending on the political winds.

As for food, there are restaurants with food from every nation in the world. Most of it very good and surprisingly inexpensive considering how expensive nearly everything else in NYC is.

More later.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2014/12/10...-f-a-football/
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #25
Billy
Professor

Thank for your good suggestions. I will arrive to NYC in the afternoon of December 22nd. I will stay in a hotel close to Times Square until December 27th. I will have Christmas Eve and Xmas with a friend in Long Island.
Fly to LA on December 27th. Stay in Hollywood until 29th/30th. Afterwards, drive to Las Vegas. Have the Silvester there.
Do a short stay in Seattle before fly back Germany on Jan 4th.
Please let me know if anybody need something from Europe.

I think that NYC is real USA and not real USA too... Most people know USA from NYC... For sure, it is too commercial to be real life for most people.
MoMA on my top list.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #26
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Maybe I'll see you around LA, Billy. :-)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #27
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Here's a short list of places and attractions.

Brooklyn bridge - My wife's great grandfather was an engineer wo worked on the bridge. It's a cultural icon and only a few blocks away from:

Chinatown (probably a busman's holiday for you

Little Italy - Fantastic food and other stuff

Grand Central Terminal food, history, tours, architecture, throngs, and chaos.

Macy's at Herald Square - Actually it will be insane right before Christmas, but

Herald Square park is nice, if small. There is a great clock there with two bronze blacksmiths hitting a bell with their hammers every hour. It was recently restored And, apparently, there is an owl statue on the side of the clock whose eyes glow after dark.

Empire State Bldg - They sell tickets to go up top. It's pretty cool to look at afterdark, from a distance. Theylight it all up with different color schemes.

American Museum of Natural History - Dinosaurs, Dioramas, cool stuff. You probably have better fossils in China.
Check out The Shake Shack for classic American burgers, fries, and milk shakes. It's right across the street from the museum. Actually they are all over the city.

Metropolitan Museum of Art - You could spend a lifetime in here.

The Cloisters From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Cloisters is a museum located in Fort Tryon Park in the Washington Heights section of Upper Manhattan, New York City. It is a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, used to exhibit the museum's extensive collection of art, architecture and artifacts from Medieval Europe.

The Cloisters is situated on a hill overlooking the Hudson River, and incorporates parts from five European abbeys which were disassembled and shipped to New York City, where, between 1934 and 1939, they were reconstructed and integrated together with new buildings in the medieval style designed by Charles Collens. The area around the buildings was landscaped with gardens planted according to horticultural information obtained from medieval manuscripts and artifacts, and the structure includes multiple medieval-style cloistered herb gardens.
New York Public Library - Iconic Stone lions out front and an amazing beautiful library inside. On Fifth Avenue and 42nd st.

Scott's Pizza Tours - www.scottspizzatours.com This guy loves pizza and eats it every day. He leads tours on foot or by bus around NY and the five boroughs and tells you everything you could possibly know about pizza. And you get to eat pizza. It's fun. Tours sell out quickly, book now.

The Film Forum - The Maltese Falcon is playing on the night of the 22nd. Check the schedule: http://filmforum.org/coming_soon

Central park - Take a carriage ride or a stroll. It's a huge park.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #28
Billy
Professor

The list is very long. I think that I need move there to finish it...
My colleagues complain the American food, too heavy, too fat, not healthy at all...
Like NYC from show Friends and Sex & the City...
Old 12-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #29
glatt

There is healthy food and unhealthy food. If you choose the unhealthy food, you'll be eating unhealthy food. If you choose the healthy food, you will be eating healthy food.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Yes, any of the vegetarian or "natural" food restaurants will be less heavy and rich.

Yes, people can spend a lifetime in NYC and not see all of it.