Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Doesn't Firefox auto-update?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #1397
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Not if it's on my computer.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #1398
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh hey, Grav, I hear you updated Firefox, an' shit. How's that workin out?
Not tooooo goooood...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #1399
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Now it doesn't work in new, different ways. <-- me after updating
Old 02-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #1400
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

GODDAMMIT my credit card number got stolen again.

It's fine, I'm not liable. But I have to cancel the card, and wait ten days to get a new one, and call all the recurring-charge people and give them a new number, and I always forget someone and have a declined charge and look like a freaking deadbeat...

Does this happen to anyone else as often as it does to me? We're talking at least once a year--and the last time was literally just four months ago. I'm not shopping at sketchy places. I have the stupid chip. What the hell?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #1401
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

:fingerscrossed: hasn't happened to me yet

But, there is forever another local story about someone putting a skimmer on an ATM or gas pump, or some starbucks employee found running someone's card the day after they got a latte at drive-thru...

They say if you enter your PIN, to cover the keys with your other hand, so if there's a camera on it, they can't pick up your number. I'm not only covering it, I'm practically doing sleight of hand. Did I hit the "7" or didn't I? Did I just use the thumb on my cover hand, or was that misdirection? You can't record the beep motherfuckers!

Is it possible to get, like, a visa gift card, not connected to the rest of one's life, and use that for the little daily transactions, and just put more money on it every month or two?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #1402
monster
I hear them call the tide

Why do you have to wait ten days? They overnight ours when this happens. Which is two times so far, I think. Once from a hotel in Canada and once via a skimmer in a gas station here in AA. Oh and once when I temporarily lost mine.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #1403
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Part of me thinks there's like a single vendor who is repeatedly fucking me over, and I should experiment by getting another brand new card and putting just one thing on it. Then if it gets stolen, I'll know who did it. If I make it 6 months, I'll move one more vendor over and keep waiting. I will hunt these shitheads down like I'm Liam fucking Neeson.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #1404
monster
I hear them call the tide

they totally picked the wrong card number to rip off. They have no idea how afraid they ought to be. Go Fob!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #1405
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The parents get a temporary, one-time-use number anytime they buy something on the web or over the phone.

It's a pain, but they ain't been got.

Yet.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #1406
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Damn, that sucks. I've not had the problem, but like UT said, use a prepaid card not attached to your accounts. I recently got a US Bank Reliacard. Not only is it completely separate from your personal accounts, but I get an email & text the moment anything goes through - literally. I got gas at a Wawa yesterday and before I screwed on the gas cap and got in the car I had already received a text of the transaction.
I might be a little bit of a control freak, but that right there is the awesum!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1407
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I pay cash unless it's online, but I'm covered for anything I didn't buy.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #1408
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
GODDAMMIT my credit card number got stolen again.

It's fine, I'm not liable.

Does this happen to anyone else as often as it does to me? I'm not shopping at sketchy places. I have the stupid chip. What the hell?
I'm extremely glad to read you're not liable! My biker neighbor had his credit info stolen off a hotel room card key and someone tried to buy like $700 worth of telemarketing equipment with it. Luckily his bank's familiar with his lifestyle and spending habits and had denied the charge before even telling him about it .

Doesn't happen to me as often...only about every other year when someone hacks a local business. I don't shop shady either. Like 80% of my card usage is at the same places: our favorite grocery store, the pet store I've been a customer at for so long I'm the only one allowed to take photos because they know I don't comparison-shop, the Mexican restaurant on the north end of town, and once in a while a thrift shop from among the 3 I usually shop at (there are 4 in town but I leave the 4th for all my donations because more than once back in the day I'd see something at a favorite thrift and debate buying it before remembering I'd donated it in the first place!). But my bank's zero-tolerance policy is that if a local business is hacked, first they reissue all customer cards and then they notify the customers. I like that they prioritize information safety, even if they do so to the point that my computer is too old to run a browser compatible with their online banking safety measures.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #1409
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Doesn't Firefox auto-update?
Mine always has, but recently I've been having this issue where something claiming to be a vital Firefox update keeps hijacking my browser! I do not trust a browser hijack with no information about the nature of the update, so I have always hit Cancel and been able to proceed with my surfing just fine. Never happens more than once a day, sometimes only once a week.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #1410
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Damn, that sucks. I've not had the problem, but like UT said, use a prepaid card not attached to your accounts. I recently got a US Bank Reliacard. Not only is it completely separate from your personal accounts, but I get an email & text the moment anything goes through - literally. I got gas at a Wawa yesterday and before I screwed on the gas cap and got in the car I had already received a text of the transaction.
I might be a little bit of a control freak, but that right there is the awesum!
There are 2 hitches I've run into over all the years with prepaid cards.

I got one once for the specific reason that I would be traveling, had promised to cover the motel room the 1 night we needed it, and I deliberately put more on the card than I knew the room would cost. Turns out it wasn't enough! Unused card with full original balance was rejected at the front desk. I called the phone number on the back and finally got to someone who told me the problem--the motel must have changed some policy somewhere and not told us. I called bullshit on the grounds that my neighbor had, back then, a 14-year history of trouble-free stays at the place and no they had NOT changed policies without telling us. He now has a 22-year history of otherwise trouble-free stays at the same place.

Finally the card people admitted the real truth: "We require a full 20% over the cost of the room to honor the card. It's to cover toiletries, vandalism, and missing towels." I snarled back that I did not enjoy being treated like a thief and that I hoped the call was being recorded because "this whole situation has pushed me into a panic attack that may require an emergency room visit in a state where my medical insurance is not honored and I do not believe this represents appropriate customer service!" And with that I hung up on the poor service drone who had no authority to help me. The motel in question is in Idaho.

Also, while visiting the Oregon Zoo, which is built up the side of a very large hill, I attempted to use a different prepaid card to secure the deposit on a wheelchair for the biker neighbor. He has cerebral palsy and his feet are on sideways, so hills are bad. The card was refused because it did not have my name or photo on it. Now I just either take cash or grit my teeth and keep a CLOSE eye on my debit card. At least my bank is accustomed, after 8 years, to my sudden flurry of small spending 700+ miles from home every July. So far as I know they have never denied any of those charges .

Tags
limburger