The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #556
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Continued from previous post

Deaths

1554 – Lady Jane Grey; 1789 – Ethan Allen; 1804 – Immanuel Kant (he probably could, if he'd apply himself); 1929 – Lillie Langtry; 1942 – Grant Wood; 1971 – James Cash Penney (founded J.C. Penney dept store); 1976 – Sal Mineo; 1982 – Victor Jory; 1983 – Eubie Blake; 1985 – Nicholas Colasanto ('Coach' on Cheers); 1995 – Philip Taylor Kramer(Iron Butterfly); 2000 – Screamin' Jay Hawkins♪ ♫; 2000 – Tom Landry (must've been a sad for LumberJim); 2000 – Charles M. Schulz (Peanuts); 2008 – David Groh (Rhoda); 2011 – Betty Garrett (All In The Family, Laverne & Shirley); 2011 – Kenneth Mars (that guy who was in that thing); 2012 – David Kelly ('Granpa Joe,' in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Waking Ned Devine); 2014 – Sid Caesar; 2015 – Gary Owens

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #557
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

February 13

Today is World Radio Day. Really? Ya want me, ME, to celebrate radio?! Nice try. Fuck you, radio.

Events

1322 – The central tower of Ely Cathedral collapses on the night of 12th–13th.

1542 – Catherine Howard, the fifth wife of Henry VIII of England, is executed for adultery.

1633 – Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome for his trial before the Inquisition.

1689 – William and Mary are proclaimed co-rulers of England.

1867 – Work begins on the covering of the Senne, burying Brussels's primary river and creating the modern central boulevards.

1880 – Thomas Edison observes the Edison effect.

1913 – The 13th Dalai Lama proclaims Tibetan independence following a period of domination by Manchu Qing dynasty and initiated a period of almost four decades of independence.

1914 – Copyright: In New York City the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is established to protect the copyrighted musical compositions of its members.

1935 – A jury in Flemington, New Jersey finds Bruno Hauptmann guilty of the 1932 kidnapping and murder of the Lindbergh baby, the son of Charles Lindbergh.

1945 – World War II: Royal Air Force bombers are dispatched to Dresden, Germany to attack the city with a massive aerial bombardment.

1954 – Frank Selvy becomes the only NCAA Division I basketball player ever to score 100 points in a single game.

1955 – Israel obtains four of the seven Dead Sea Scrolls.

1960 – With the success of a nuclear test codenamed "Gerboise Bleue", France becomes the fourth country to possess nuclear weapons.

1960 – Black college students stage the first of the Nashville sit-ins at three lunch counters in Nashville, Tennessee.

1961 - Frank Sinatra launched his own record label, Reprise Records, in order to allow more artistic freedom for his own recordings. Hence, he garnered the nickname “The Chairman of the Board.” One of the label’s founding principles under Sinatra’s leadership was that each artist would have full creative freedom, and, at some point, complete ownership of their work.

1961 – An allegedly 500,000-year-old rock is discovered near Olancha, California, US, that appears to anachronistically encase a spark plug.

1967 – American researchers discover the Madrid Codices by Leonardo da Vinci in the National Library of Spain.

1970 - On this day, Friday the 13th, Black Sabbath released their debut self-titled studio album on Vertigo records in the UK. Peaking at No.8 on the charts, the album has been recognized as the first main album to be credited with the development of the heavy metal genre.

1979 – An intense windstorm strikes western Washington and sinks a 1/2-mile-long section of the Hood Canal Bridge.

1981 – A series of sewer explosions destroys more than two miles of streets in Louisville, Kentucky.

1982 - The marble slab was stolen from the grave of Lynyrd Skynyrd's singer Ronnie Van Zant, police found it two weeks later in a dried up river bed.

1983 – Two US Marshals are killed in a shootout with tax protester Gordon Kahl (<--Interesting read.) in Medina, North Dakota.

1990 – German reunification: An agreement is reached on a two-stage plan to reunite Germany.

2004 – The Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics announces the discovery of the universe's largest known diamond, white dwarf star BPM 37093. Astronomers named this star "Lucy" after The Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

2007 - Rod Stewart was paid $1,000,000 when he performed at a billionaire's birthday bash. Stewart was booked to play a half-hour gig to help Steve Schwarzman celebrate his 60th birthday held at New York's Park Avenue Armory.

2008 – Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd makes a historic apology to the Indigenous Australians and the Stolen Generations.

2011 – For the first time in more than 100 years the Umatilla, an American Indian tribe, are able to hunt and harvest a bison just outside Yellowstone National Park, restoring a centuries-old tradition guaranteed by a treaty signed in 1855.

Births

1885 – Bess Truman (35th FLOTUS); 1891 – Grant Wood; 1919 – Tennessee Ernie Ford♪ ♫; 1920 – Boudleaux Bryant♪ ♫(wrote "Rocky Top", Nazareth hit "Love Hurts", Everly Bros hits "All I Have to Do Is Dream", "Bye Bye Love" et al); 1923 – Chuck Yeager; 1932 – Susan Oliver; 1933 – Kim Novak; 1934 – George Segal; 1938 – Oliver Reed; 1941 – Bo Svenson; 1942 – Carol Lynley; 1942 – Peter Tork(The Monkees); 1943 - Bill Szymczyk♪ ♫; 1944 – Stockard Channing; 1944 – Jerry Springer ("Jerr-EE!, Jerr-EE!, Jerr-EE!"); 1947 – Stephen Hadley; 1947 – Mike 'Coach K' Krzyzewski; 1947 – Kevin Bloody Wilson♪ ♫; 1950 – Peter Gabriel♪ ♫(Genesis); 1951 – David Naughton (An American Werewolf In London, Dr. Pepper commercials); 1952 – Ed Gagliardi(Foreigner); 1955 – Scott Smith(Loverboy); 1956 – Peter Hook(Joy Division); 1957 – Tony Butler(Big Country); 1961 – Henry Rollins♪ ♫(Black Flag, Rollins Band); 1966 – Neal McDonough (Band Of Brothers, Desperate Housewives, Suits); 1974 – Robbie Williams♪ ♫; 1976 – Feist♪ ♫; 1979 – Mena Suvari (American Beauty, American Pie movies)

Deaths

1542 – Catherine Howard ("Hassaaaaan chop!"; 1728 – Cotton Mather; 1818 – George Rogers Clark; 1883 – Richard Wagner♪ ♫; 1976 – Lily Pons♪ ♫; 1996 – Martin Balsam; 2002 – Waylon 'Watasha' Jennings♪ ♫; 2014 – Ralph Waite (The Waltons, NCIS); 2016 – Antonin Scalia

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #558
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

February 14

Today is Valentine's Day. So, smell a rose, eat a piece of chocolate, get some...As for me

IIIIIIIIIIIIII ain't got nobooooooody
Nobody cares for me
Nobody cares for me
IIIIIIIIIIIIII'm so sad and looooooonely
Sad and lonely, sad and lonely
Won't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me?
'Cause I ain't so bad

Today is also V-Day, a global movement to end violence against women and girls.

Concurrently with Valentine's Day, Singles Awareness Day (SAD) is a made up thing observed today by sad, envious people no one wants to be around, who feel left out.

Events

1349 – Several hundred Jews are burned to death by mobs while the remaining Jews are forcibly removed from Strasbourg.

1400 – Richard II of England dies, most probably from starvation, in Pontefract Castle, on the orders of Henry Bolingbroke.

1778 – The United States flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time, when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte renders a nine gun salute to USS Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones.

1779 – James Cook is killed by Native Hawaiians near Kealakekua on the Island of Hawaii.

1849 – In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first serving President of the United States to have his photograph taken.

1855 – Texas is linked by telegraph to the rest of the United States, with the completion of a connection between New Orleans and Marshall, Texas.

1859 – Oregon is admitted as the 33rd U.S. state.

1899 – Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.

1900 – British forces begin the Battle of the Tugela Heights in an effort to lift the Siege of Ladysmith.

1912 – Arizona is admitted as the 48th U.S. state. It is the last state formed in the continental U.S.

1912 – The US Navy commissions its first class of diesel-powered submarines.

1924 – The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company changes its name to International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).

1929 – Saint Valentine's Day Massacre: Seven people, six of them gangster rivals of Al Capone's gang, are murdered in Chicago.

1945 – World War II: On the first day of the bombing of Dresden, the British Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Forces begin fire-bombing Dresden. In 3 days of bombing, 722 RAF, and 527 USAAF heavy bombers drop 3900 tons of bombs and incendiary devices, destroying 1600 acres of central Dresden.

Apologies, but I will have to delay the rest of today's entry. Buddy has a minor emergency. Gravdigr to the rescue!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #559
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
1929 – Saint Valentine's Day Massacre: Seven people, six of them gangster rivals of Al Capone's gang, are murdered in Chicago
But two guys got away, disguised themselves as women, and took a train to Florida.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #560
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But two guys got away, disguised themselves as women, and took a train to Florida.
That's hot; I like it!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #561
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, I just finished finishing yesterday's post.

And because someone somewhere doesn't want you to have it, it's floating about in the ether somewhere right fucking now, giving you and me the finger. Laughing.

So.

Fuck you. And fuck me. You don't get the post. And me? I get fucked twice because I wasted my fucking time making the motherfucker, and I wasted my fucking time yesterday helping out a man who is damn near 60 years old and can't manage his fucking life. So much for good deeds.

And you don't get links, or funny, happy, little smilies today, either. Wanna fight about it? Stick your head up your ass and fight for air.

Now let's see if this one flies off into the ether, too.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #562
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

February 15

1493 – While on board the Niña, Christopher Columbus writes an open letter (widely distributed upon his return to Portugal) describing his discoveries and the unexpected items he came across in the New World.

1764 – The city of St. Louis is established in Spanish Louisiana (now in Missouri, USA).

1879 – Women's rights: US President Rutherford B. Hayes signs a bill allowing female attorneys to argue cases before the Supreme Court of the United States.

1898 – The battleship USS Maine explodes and sinks in Havana harbor in Cuba, killing 274. This event leads the United States to declare war on Spain.;

1925 – The 1925 serum run to Nome: The second delivery of serum arrives in Nome, Alaska.

1933 – In Miami, Giuseppe Zangara attempts to assassinate US President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt, but instead shoots Chicago mayor Anton J. Cermak, who dies of his wounds on March 6, 1933.

1944 – World War II: The assault on Monte Cassino, Italy begins.

1946 – ENIAC, the first electronic general-purpose computer, is formally dedicated at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

1949 – Gerald Lankester Harding and Roland de Vaux begin excavations at Cave 1 of the Qumran Caves, where they will eventually discover the first seven Dead Sea Scrolls.

1954 – Canada and the United States agree to construct the Distant Early Warning Line, a system of radar stations in the far northern Arctic regions of Canada and Alaska.

1965 – A new red-and-white maple leaf design is adopted as the flag of Canada, replacing the old Canadian Red Ensign banner.

1971 – The decimalisation of British coinage is completed on Decimal Day.

1972 – Sound recordings are granted U.S. federal copyright protection for the first time.

1989 – Soviet war in Afghanistan: The Soviet Union officially announces that all of its troops have left Afghanistan.

2001 – The first draft of the complete human genome is published in Nature.

2012 – Three hundred sixty people die in a fire at a Honduran prison in the city of Comayagua.

2013 – A meteor explodes over Russia, injuring 1,500 people as a shock wave blows out windows and rocks buildings. This happens unexpectedly only hours before the expected closest ever approach of the larger and unrelated asteroid 2012 DA14.

Births

1564 – Galileo Galilei, 1797 – Henry E. Steinway, 1809 – Cyrus McCormick, 1812 – Charles Lewis Tiffany, 1820 – Susan B. Anthony, 1874 – Ernest Shackleton, 1892 – James Forrestal, 1907 – Cesar Romero, 1914 – Hale Boggs, 1914 – Kevin McCarthy, 1918 – Allan Arbus, 1918 – Hank Locklin, 1927 – Harvey Korman, 1928 – Norman Bridwell, 1931 – Claire Bloom, 1935 – Roger B. Chaffee, 1951 – Melissa Manchester, 1951 – Jane Seymour, 1954 – Matt Groening, 1955 – Janice Dickinson, 1955 – Christopher McDonald, 1957 – Jake E. Lee, 1957 – Jimmy Spencer, 1964 – Chris Farley, 1971 – Alex Borstein

Deaths

1965 – Nat King Cole, 1973 – Wally Cox, 1981 – Mike Bloomfield, 1984 – Ethel Merman, 1988 – Richard Feynman, 1996 – McLean Stevenson, 2016 – Vanity

Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #563
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Well, I just finished finishing yesterday's post.
I'm so confused.

I see yesterday's post, posted yesterday. And I see today's post, posted today.

So what got lost?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #564
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your deeds have been confirmed as good, as no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #565
glatt

Well, now looking more closely, I see yesterday's post ends in 1945.

I just assumed not much of note happened after that. I guess you were adding more. Sorry!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #566
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Do try to keep up.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #567
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Do try to keep up.

you crack me up man.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #568
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #569
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

February 16

Today the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)celebrates Day Of The Shining Star, marking the birth of the Eternal Illustrious Supreme Leader, and greatest golfer in the history of the planet, Kim Jong-il.

There are 318 days remaining in 2017.

There are 311 days until Christmas.

Events

1646 – Battle of Torrington, Devon: The last major battle of the first English Civil War.

1804 – First Barbary War: Stephen Decatur leads a raid to burn the pirate-held frigate USS Philadelphia.

1852 – Studebaker Brothers wagon company, precursor of the automobile manufacturer, is established.

1874 – The Silver Dollar becomes legal US tender.

1923 – Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun, King Tut.

1933 – The Blaine Act ends Prohibition in the United States. And there was much rejoicing.

1937 – Wallace H. Carothers receives a United States patent for nylon.

1940 – World War II: Altmark Incident: The German tanker Altmark is boarded by sailors from the British destroyer HMS Cossack. 299 British prisoners are freed.

1945 – World War II: American forces land on Corregidor Island in the Philippines.

1959 – Fidel Castro becomes Premier of Cuba after dictator Fulgencio Batista was overthrown on January 1.

1960 – The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton begins Operation Sandblast, setting sail from New London, Connecticut, to begin the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.

1968 – In Haleyville, Alabama, the first 9-1-1 emergency telephone system goes into service.

1978 – The first computer bulletin board system is created (CBBS in Chicago).

1983 – The Ash Wednesday bushfires in Victoria and South Australia kill 75.

1985 – Hezbollah (Party of God) is founded.

1986 – The Soviet liner MS Mikhail Lermontov runs aground in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.

1987 – The trial of John Demjanjuk, accused of being a Nazi guard dubbed "Ivan the Terrible" in Treblinka extermination camp, starts in Jerusalem.

1991 - The Simpsons were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do The Bartman'. The song was written by Michael Jackson and Bryan Lorenand, The Simpsons became the first cartoon characters to make No.1 since The Archies' hit 'Sugar Sugar' in 1969. Jackson was a massive fan of The Simpsons and had called the producers one night offering to write Bart a number one single and do a guest spot on the show.

2005 – The National Hockey League cancels the entire 2004–05 regular season and playoffs.

2006 – The last Mobile army surgical hospital (MASH) is decommissioned by the United States Army.

Births

1812 – Henry Wilson (18th VPOTUS); 1843 – Henry M. Leland (founded Cadillac and Lincoln); 1898 – Katharine Cornell; 1901 – Chester Morris (played Boston Blackie); 1903 – Edgar Bergen; 1909 – Hugh Beaumont ('Ward Cleaver' on Leave It To Beaver); 1909 – Richard McDonald (co-founded McDonald's); 1914 – Jimmy Wakely♪ ♫(one of the last singing cowboys); 1920 – Anna Mae Hays (1st female General in US Armed Forces); 1926 – Margot Frank (older sister of Anne Frank); 1935 – Brian Bedford; 1935 – Sonny Bono♪ ♫; 1941 – Kim Jong-il; 1952 – William Katt; 1952 – James Ingram♪ ♫; 1954 – Margaux Hemingway; 1957 – LeVar Burton; 1958 - Ice-T (Tracy Marrow)♪ ♫; 1959 – John McEnroe; 1960 – Pete Willis(Def Leppard); 1961 – Andy Taylor(Duran Duran, Power Station); 1964 – Christopher Eccleston (the 9th Doctor Who); 1972 – Jerome Bettis; 1972 – Sarah Clarke; 1977 – Ian Clarke (founded Freenet); 1979 – Valentino Rossi (motorcycle racer)

Deaths

1928 – Eddie Foy, Sr.; 1967 – Smiley Burnette♪ ♫; 1974 – John Garand (designed the M1 Garand Rifle); 1996 – Roger Bowen ('Col. Henry Blake' in M*A*S*H (movie); 1996 – Brownie McGhee♪ ♫; 2000 – Lila Kedrova (Zorba The Greek); 2000 – Karsten Solheim (founded PING golf equipment); 2001 – Howard W. Koch (producer The Manchurian Candidate (1962), The Odd Couple (1968), Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Airplane!); 2001 – William Masters (of Masters & Johnson); 2013 – Tony Sheridan♪ ♫(the only non-Beatle to appear as lead singer on a Beatles recording that charted as a single); 2015 – Lesley Gore♪ ♫(sang "It's My Party"); 2016 – Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #570
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Eternal Illustrious Supreme Leader, and greatest golfer in the history of the planet, Kim Jong-il.
You mean Fatty II, Fatty I's son and father of Fatty III.