Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #691
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

@DanaC

Don't be subtle.

Be plain. Be clear. Yes, we xys appreciate it, I know this one does.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #692
Ibby
erika

A guy I knew from maryland is dead.

I wasn't too good friends with him, never really talked to him, but caro was going to go to his band's gig the very day after it happened. She's really upset, as are most of my friends in the states.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...al_sports_util
Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #693
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
*laughs* I know. Politics is a very, dirty business. There are times I enjoy that side of it...and times I really don't.
Another Cicero Anecdote:
I was on a certain board that shall go unnamed here on the Cellar that was highly political and very involved with law (high profile here in the U.S). I was constantly being attacked verbally by this person at board meetings and through e-mails...and he was sending out nasty e-mails about me behind my back to the other members. He was trying to get me removed from the board which I had been a part of for 3 years, and he was a new member. Within a couple of months I did not respond to any of his personal and political attacks with any fervor, and he ended up digging his own grave and lying in it within a short period, and he was asked to resign in a not so civil manner. I had nothing to do at all with his removal from the board, but I did get to cast a vote in favor of when the time came.

Moral of the story...Do not be baited and then bite, as he will surely cause his own destruction. All you have to do is offer peace, be patient, and sit back and watch the flames lick higher and higher.

Just read your post Ibram...sorry about your acquaintance. It sounds like you are there for your friend that was deeply affected by it. Nice work.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #694
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Upsetting? Eh. More like a comedy of errors.

Wednesday evening I stupidly left the lights in my car on. (The alarm that's supposed to alert me to this doesn't work. Or rather, it rings all the time when the door is open, so I'm used to ignoring it.) I jump started the car from our minivan.

Thursday at work I ONCE AGAIN left the lights on. I waited for AAA to come do a jump start. After my 30 min. drive home, I waited a few minutes and tried to start the car. It was fine.

But I guess it really wasn't--I could tell as soon as I put my key in this morning that the battery was half dead. Not that surprising; it's over four years old. So I drove my daughter to school in the minivan and then went to Auto Zone for a battery.

It took about 5 minutes to place the new battery in and attach the cables and, lo and behold, the car started just fine. At this point I was looking at being 10 or 15 minutes late for work--not bad, all things considered. All I had to do was put on the bolts that hold the battery in place.

Oops. I dropped one. Unfortunately it didn't just fall all the way through to the ground. It took me some time to fish it out. In order to do so I had to get the battery out of the way, so I now put it back in and reattached the cables. The - cable was sliding around on the terminal, so I tightened it up a bit. And the conector just broke in two.n

Now, I'm not very strong, so anything I can destroy with my bare hands is in pretty bad shape. So, one more trip to Auto Zone for a new connector. (Not to mention a can of hand-cleaning glop.) This time everything went well and I got the battery connected and bolted down, and got to work an hour late.

(Bonus: One fun thing I got to do after arriving was to explain, fruitlessly, to a vendor that "GMT" and "London time" are not the same thing, because GMT doesn't change for Summer Time.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #695
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Nice story, SteveDallas!
A personal tip: if you change the oil in your car yourself, always remember to replace the oil drain plug before you pour in 3.5 liters of new oil.
And always, always, keep a few old towels in your car... so many uses.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #696
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
Upsetting? Eh. More like a comedy of errors.

Wednesday evening I stupidly left the lights in my car on. (The alarm that's supposed to alert me to this doesn't work. Or rather, it rings all the time when the door is open, so I'm used to ignoring it.) I jump started the car from our minivan.

Thursday at work I ONCE AGAIN left the lights on. I waited for AAA to come do a jump start. After my 30 min. drive home, I waited a few minutes and tried to start the car. It was fine.

But I guess it really wasn't--I could tell as soon as I put my key in this morning that the battery was half dead. Not that surprising; it's over four years old. So I drove my daughter to school in the minivan and then went to Auto Zone for a battery.

It took about 5 minutes to place the new battery in and attach the cables and, lo and behold, the car started just fine. At this point I was looking at being 10 or 15 minutes late for work--not bad, all things considered. All I had to do was put on the bolts that hold the battery in place.

Oops. I dropped one. Unfortunately it didn't just fall all the way through to the ground. It took me some time to fish it out. In order to do so I had to get the battery out of the way, so I now put it back in and reattached the cables. The - cable was sliding around on the terminal, so I tightened it up a bit. And the conector just broke in two.n

Now, I'm not very strong, so anything I can destroy with my bare hands is in pretty bad shape. So, one more trip to Auto Zone for a new connector. (Not to mention a can of hand-cleaning glop.) This time everything went well and I got the battery connected and bolted down, and got to work an hour late.

(Bonus: One fun thing I got to do after arriving was to explain, fruitlessly, to a vendor that "GMT" and "London time" are not the same thing, because GMT doesn't change for Summer Time.)

This was us recently. But after the last time we bought a charged battery starter thing so I can jump it myself
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #697
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I've actually thought of that--what kind did you get?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #698
monster

a yellow one
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #699
monster

Everstart, apparently. it was about $40 iirc
Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #700
jinx
Come on, cat.

Jim bought me one of those when my blue jeep kept turning its lights on by itself and draining the battery. It's yellow too.

What's upsetting me today? The cellar sucks lately.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #701
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Headaches every fucking day for I don't know how long now. The neurotic thing is I keep feeling like the weight of my hair is somehow partly responsible and if I cut it all off this will be better.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #702
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Your hair could be contributing?

How is everything with bub going?

Oh and Jinx....2nded
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #703
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Yah clod I mentioned this in gabbly but I dunno if you heard me over the chaos so...

I spent several months growing my hair out to a nice length that I was satisfied with..and started having migranes...alot....so I decided it was probably partly due to my hair...and went and had it cut

didn't help at all.

P.S. 3rded jinx
Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #704
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I 4ted
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #705
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts
How is everything with bub going?
This question does not make any sense to me.

But don't worry, I'm not going to go all nutty and shave my head or anything. I just get grumpy when I get headaches, and my hair getting in my way puts me in a worse mood. I've cut my hair short several times before, it was like that back when I very first joined the cellar... Ah, good times.

This is what I try to go for, but it never quite works out looking like this of course:
Attached Images

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss