The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Inspiring messages from wealthy people about gratitude

This was in my email this morning, this author is giving a talk at our local bookstore. I was considering going to the talk until I saw this video.

As I looked at where this woman lived and the lifestyle she's affords I found it really hard to take her seriously. I find it hard to garner sympathy for people's emotional/spiritual cheerleading when the only apparent challenge they face is being happy. Not having to figure out how you are going to pay your bills and eat, or wonder whether your car will get you to work again today and if it doesn't what will you do then?

A saint can't save a sinner, only another sinner can. A bodhisattva doesn't reach down to pull you up, a bodhisattva is right there with you in the trenches giving you a boost up.

I know money doesn't buy happiness, but it certainly eases a lot of misery. Maybe it's just me but she seems like another well-off white lady reminding us to be grateful for this moment. This picture perfect moment.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Once you get above average income, there is little correlation between money and happiness.

Below average income, there is a strong correlation between poverty and unhappiness.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

More money seems to add more 'needs'. We are trying not to add to our usual list now that we are making so much more money. But the things that have been waiting so long, like a new roof and siding, new flooring and a kitchen remodel are going to happen now without all the stress. AND I am getting a brand-spanking-new car. I gotta tell you, its bring me some happiness.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Nice video, the only thing I noticed is that it's all me focused. Happiness is really found in giving for others. There is more of a correlation between giving and happiness then in wealth and happiness, more so even then wealth and giving.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Great observation. I missed that.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Spot on, joe.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I know money doesn't buy happiness...
... but it does bring choices. Given those choices it's easier to make the ones which lead to happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Great observation. I missed that.
... and choosing to make other people happy is one of them (kudos Reg J)

As other people have said, I'd be happier with more money.

But y'all know I'm silly with it anyway.
Would just be nice to spend it on good people who've been there for me in troubled times. Blood first, but Cellar second. My online family.

Then school - as troubled as my relationship with them has been recently I'd still want them to have something special. A new After School Club room or air conditioning or sports equipment - something they really need and is chosen by the school itself, rather than something flashy. I'd send them all to a theme park or something given my choice

Last edited by Sundae; 03-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote