Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #1891
Griff
still says videotape

That is good news!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #1892
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Thats a good idea if I get a chip in the windshield I will call the Gore Mine and get a replacement.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #1893
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Don't work around here.

Rock flew off the rock quarry truck, and dinged the parents' Park Avenue windshield real good. The windshield with the rain detection and the this and the that, and the little different-looking place for the HUD to shine on...

The quarry ppl said sorry about your luck.

$700+. Used. Safelite guy found him one, with all the plugs/wires still attached, and installed it for $450.

Safelite guy rocks.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #1894
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Wow, good news for sure, Glinda! We've had multiple windshields destroyed by trucks flinging debris and the companies wouldn't touch it. They aren't compelled to, so good for your gravel company.

Agree with Grav, the Safelite people are fantastic - have helped us out a few times.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #1895
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When the phone rings I look at the caller ID and If I don't know who it is I don't answer. Today it reads CVS Pharmacy so I answered. A recorded message from "Microsoft" saying my PC is infected and don't use it before I call a phone number. The motherfuckers are pranking the caller ID now.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #1896
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

They say my Windows license is about to expire, but, they can renew it for me.

Just get my credit card, and....

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #1897
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've gotten a bunch of calls where it says Microsoft and didn't answer because I knew it was a scam. But now they're pranking the caller ID I can't count on it.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #1898
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
When the phone rings I look at the caller ID and If I don't know who it is I don't answer. Today it reads CVS Pharmacy so I answered. A recorded message from "Microsoft" saying my PC is infected and don't use it before I call a phone number. The motherfuckers are pranking the caller ID now.
Slight UK variation on the theme...

These scam calls send a false number but do not usually clone a legitimate number.
A quick internet search usually reveals more information.

However, recently I have found that searches increasingly result in a nil return.
I have formed the distinct impression that they generate a false number for each call.

A grade one pain in the arse.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #1899
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

For a while around here they were cloning real numbers, and I kept getting calls from people saying, "Yeah, I missed a call from this number?" and then I'd have to explain cloning and some of them would just keep insisting that I had personally called them and... didn't want to admit it for some reason? Once my sister-in-law got a cloned number that was, by complete coincidence, my actual number! Her cellphone filled in the contact info and told her it was me, so she was gobsmacked when a recording started telling her about debt reconciliation.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 AM   #1900
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Slight UK variation on the theme...

These scam calls send a false number but do not usually clone a legitimate number.
A quick internet search usually reveals more information.

However, recently I have found that searches increasingly result in a nil return.
I have formed the distinct impression that they generate a false number for each call.

A grade one pain in the arse.
Carruthers, buy a phone with BT Call Guardian on it (you don't have to have a BT contract). You'll never look back.

Sent by magick
Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 AM   #1901
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Carruthers, buy a phone with BT Call Guardian on it (you don't have to have a BT contract). You'll never look back.

Sent by magick
Thank you! I shall investigate further and forthwith!

After somebody reversed into my car and put a large crease in the backdoor, I was plagued for months by claims handling firms.

One firm spoofed numbers from around the UK and one call appeared to come from a very remote location in the Highlands.

However, I noticed that the last three digits were always the same no matter where the call was purportedly from.

I believe that the firm was finally put out of business.

Found it...

Quote:
A Bolton-based personal injuries claims management company has gone into liquidation after being fined £80,000 by a government watchdog for plaguing householders with nuisance calls.

In a deluge of consumer complaints about Direct Assist – which offers access to solicitors for claims – 801 concerns were registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and the Telephone Preference Service between January 2013 and July 2014.

Every single complaint came from individuals registered with the TPS – an opt out register from unsolicited sales or marketing calls – and who had not given permission for the company to call them.

One household reported being called 470 times by the company, while another was told by Direct Assist that they were likely to be called for three years until they made a claim, despite repeated requests for their details to be removed.
Link
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #1902
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Not pissed off today, just drained of my ability to give a shit.

I understand important things are important...

No feelings like that today. Not angry or upset, just empty.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #1903
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Every day I get a call(s) from a number that comes back to Southern New Hampshire University. Somehow I'm a-thinkin' that ain't Southern New Hampshire University.

They start at about five minutes after 8 (in the am). I finally saved the number as a contact and then I gave it its own ringtone.

A very quiet ringtone.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #1904
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Not pissed off today, just drained of my ability to give a shit.

I understand important things are important...

No feelings like that today. Not angry or upset, just empty.

Goddamn, I hate trying find the smilie I'm looking for.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #1905
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
Every day I get a call(s) from a number that comes back to Southern New Hampshire University. Somehow I'm a-thinkin' that ain't Southern New Hampshire University.

They start at about five minutes after 8 (in the am). I finally saved the number as a contact and then I gave it its own ringtone.

A very quiet ringtone.
Dude, if they're calling from a single number, just block them. I have a contact in my list called "Telemarketing Assholes," and every time I get spammed from a real number (as opposed to a spoofed one that might actually belong to someone I want to talk to someday) I add them as another cellphone owned by that contact. Block the one contact, and I'm done.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limburger