The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Blame Classicman and merc.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Keep in persective BP's reputation. For example, their maintenance of the Alaska pipeline is well known by all whose news is from news sources - not gossip or politically tainted sources. BP apparetly has some of the most unsafe refineries in the industry based upon the number of explosions and deaths.
I'll have to take your word for it. Got no idea which company is safer than another.

Quote:
In ironic twist, BP finalist for pollution prevention award
BP, now under federal scrutiny because of its role in the deadly Gulf of Mexico explosion and oil spill, is one of three finalists for a federal award honoring offshore oil companies for "outstanding safety and pollution prevention."

The winner of the award - chosen before the April 20 oil rig incident - was to be announced this coming Monday at a luncheon in Houston. But the U.S. Department of Interior this week postponed the awards ceremony, saying it needs to devote its resources to the ongoing situation resulting from the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion and fire.

Eleven workers are presumed dead and an estimated 5,000 barrels of oil are leaking every day from the well. The cause of the explosion is still unknown.

A spokeswoman for the Interior Department's Minerals Management Service said she did not know which of the three finalists for the non-monetary award had been selected, nor did she say whether the current circumstances could influence the decision if BP was the winner.
I would certainly hope that this would influence their decision. WTH?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

gas is up to 2.89 - was 2.67 pre-spill. sheesh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I think that was more due to the seasonal increase.
I don't believe the rate hikes from this spill have started yet.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
glatt

Why would this spill cause rate hikes? Maybe down the road if it results in greater safety regulations that cost more. But the oil lost is relatively small compared to the entire oil supply out there. It's huge in terms of an oil spill, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what we use.

BP is going to lose a lot of money, and they may raise prices a little, but if they raise them too much, people will just shop elsewhere.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Everything that happens in the free world, and the not-so-free world, is an excuse for rising gas prices. Oil as god has its shiny hand in everything!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Stormieweather seems to have cofferdams in mind. Exerpt:

Quote:
While oil continues to pour out, containment is the best strategy. BP has rushed to produce giant domes called cofferdams that it intends to place over the leaking well head, to isolate the oil from the surrounding sea. The plan would then be to pump the trapped oil and water mix into storage barges on the surface. It will take at least a week to fit these domes, and engineers are uncertain how they will perform at deep sea pressures.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #23
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

raise hikes? I imagine corporate suites dropping hankies on the floor with price increments of,2, 5,10 and 20 cent markups or downs written on them. Someone yells go and the first hankie picked up is the new price increase or decrease for the day. yay!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Who's responsible for this disaster? The Wall Street Journal says, it looks like Haliburton.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
We had a similar offshore oil leak here a few months back,..
Halliburton also was the cementer on a well that suffered a big blowout last August in the Timor Sea, off Australia. The rig there caught fire and a well leaked tens of thousands of barrels of oil over 10 weeks before it was shut down. The investigation is continuing; Halliburton declined to comment on it.

oopsie

aside- Part of the natural gas cluster foxtrot in Dimock, PA was related to improper cementing.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
I'm pissed as hell about my beautiful Clearwater beaches being ruined. Not to mention the wildlife .
I need to get out to Fort Desoto and St. Pete Beach before this makes mess makes it way south. Have a drink or three with my feet in sand while its still quartz-white.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

"Gasoline prices are rising nationwide as the summer driving season nears, and oil futures appear poised for a breakout on encouraging economic news and fears about the seriousness of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Over the last week, pump prices saw their biggest jump in more than a month, according to the Energy Department's weekly survey of U.S. filling stations.

Nationwide, the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline rose 4.9 cents to $2.898. In California it rose 3 cents to $3.118."
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #28
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Haliburton? This does not inspire confidence.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #29
GunMaster357
Professor

Reminds me of the bad days at home of Amoco Cadiz, Erika, Torrey Canyon that went to shore with full shipments of oil...

At the end of 1999, I went to help collecting oil from the Erika on the differents beaches at home...

Can you spell Sisyphus ?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #30
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
I need to get out to Fort Desoto and St. Pete Beach before this makes mess makes it way south. Have a drink or three with my feet in sand while its still quartz-white.
I know . I was going to have my daughter's 5th birthday celebration at Fort Desoto. She's never been. And now, it may never be the same again /sob.