The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2/16/2004: Guitar sculpture

SteveDallas passes along this "sculpture" - 35 feet high, consisting of 600 guitars. And a few other instruments in there as well, it looks like. It's from an exhibit at the Experience Music Project in Seattle.

full story
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
MachineyBear
Romantic Necromancer

Hard hats required..

Watch for falling Rock.
MachineyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
mrnoodle
bent

Can you imagine trying to keep it in tune?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I seriously hope that no primo instruments were interred in that monstrosity...
Old 02-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe it looks better from the bottom, Els.
That museum has online interactives where you can learn just how famous guitar rifts are played and how to sing harmony.
CAUTION going to their site will cause you to piss away many days of your life.
And it's all from Microsoft profits.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Torrere
a real smartass

Hm. I wonder if I should go check that out someday soon.

There's a monorail that goes almost the entire distance between the EMP and where I work.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
tjennings
Belt Conveyor

Looks like there's still room for more at the top. Is it a work in progress, or is that a receeding guitar line?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #8
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

anyone think this is a bit wasteful?

I know that we need to spend $ on art. But man oh man what a blatant slap in the face to the 'music for kids' programs at struggling underpriviledged schools that could have benefited from a guitar.

Perhaps we'll see a conglomeration of 10,000 useful text books next.

Perhaps I'm stretching a bit here but did anyone else think the same thing?

Maybe there was some due-diligence here and they all had some sort of major defect, like a hole in the back or something.

-mike
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Re: anyone think this is a bit wasteful?

Quote:
Originally posted by mlandman
I know that we need to spend $ on art. But man oh man what a blatant slap in the face to the 'music for kids' programs at struggling underpriviledged schools that could have benefited from a guitar.
Since when has it become practice for those with excess to give to those in need? Sure, some do. But as a whole? No. Surely you've heard the phrase "He who dies with the most toys wins." (Yes, I've heard the alternate, ...still dies.) When you go out to a fancy restraunt, stay in a motel, isn't that a slap in the face to the starving homeless? I mean, you already have food at home, and a place to live. Here you are going out to eat when you don't have to. Staying in a place you don't have to. Vacationing? Ha! Well, you get the idea.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Consumption for the purpose of personal fulfillment is not a vice. It is built into us, and thank goodness, because it's what keeps the human race progressing ahead.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
ukamikanasi
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Dude, it's not like it was funded by taxpayers. The entire museum was built by a rich guy.
ukamikanasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
russotto
Professor

Re: Re: anyone think this is a bit wasteful?

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Here you are going out to eat when you don't have to. Staying in a place you don't have to. Vacationing? Ha! Well, you get the idea.

Quzah.
Yeah, and every time I go out to eat I'm helping pay the salaries of everyone from the chefs through the wait staff down to the dishwashers. When I go to a hotel, same thing. When I stay at home, I help them not at all. So seen that way, the selfish thing is staying and eating at home and the way to help those less fortunate is to indulge in more luxuries which require their services to produce.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:08 PM   #13
warch
lurkin old school

I know a little about the architecture of EMP- Frank Gehry designed it and the inspiration was from Seattle's Jimi Hendrix- a smashed fender guitar. (another example of artistic waste perhaps- but memorable performance) Ive never seen the place but understand that some (if not all) of the colors on the crazy crushed- looking exterior correspond to selected fender finishes. And there are glass panels that are meant to reference the neck and frets. The concert space is s'posta be good. Anyone been to a show there?

They're currently showing a Springsteen exhibition that I helped a tiny bit with...I'll give that a tout!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I feel a little better after looking at EMP's site. This sculpture is a bit more than that...it actually plays music on many of the instruments embedded in it! It is all midi controlled, right down to mechanical string pluckers for the guitars...
Old 02-17-2004, 06:12 PM   #15
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

It's also apparent that it isn't just guitars. There appear to be numerous drums and at least one synth/keyboard in the mix.

However, what you don't see is the guy on the back side of this, that has this all strapped to his back, with a monkey on his head clanging symbols.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote