The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What's the first thing you do after getting home from work?

I was just wondering because well, when I was working the first thing I did was take my bra off coz it bothered me. Then I put my hair into a ponytail unless it already was in a ponytail. It felt like I was shedding the entire day to do those two things--like, ahhhh--now I can relax .
Does anyone else have a "now I'm home" ritual?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
AlphaRaptor
Kid Genius

When the schoolday's over I go to soccer/basketball/whatever practice. When I get home I usually go online chat or make plans for later, or change into my baithing suit and hop in my hot tub.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Take my shoes and socks off. I hate wearing shoes. Though 99% of the time I'm wearing sandals to help counteract this suffering.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
glatt

When I get home, I hug and kiss my wife and kids, and go change into shorts and a t-shirt in the summer, or jeans, slippers, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt in the winter. By then, my wife has finished up making dinner (she rocks!) so we all sit down to eat.

Sometimes in the summer, I stand in front of the fan in our room while I'm changing, to cool off from the long hot walk home from the Metro in the humid D.C. area. That's in addition to the air conditioning.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The first thing I do after work is go to the gym. Then I catch a bite to eat. I eat out all the time because I am alone. Then I go home, take a shower, and usually either pop in a video from netflix, or read a book. Of course all this will change when my wife gets her visa and comes to America.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #6
Wilder
Lead Subordinate

Check my email then I go for a run (if I am not to lazy that day)
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I work at home. The transition from work to home usually involves alt-tab.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

The first thing I do when I get home, is answer my phone, because one of my contractors is telling me he needs to show me something on site.

An hour later, I get home again, this time dusted in dirt and/or sewage from the site. I open my car door, get out, and as I'm closing it, I whang my knee. I limp, almost tripping over a pumpkin vine i've named Napoleon because it's killing everything else in my yard, and I silently wish Godspeed to my cayenne peppers, which have been getting rained out lately, and have been valiantly fighting off the pumpkin armada.

As I approach the front door, I repeatedly pray that the dog hasn't pinched one out because of my detour earlier, and I open the door and stand aside.

Immediately a flying dog launches through the air, and lands on the grass in a squatted position. I turn away, as I respect the dog's dignity, and it saunters back into the house, wondering who owns who as I stoop and scoop.

Into the house, and I make a traditional French omelette (10 steps!!) with chives from outside. I do this, because all I can really afford for the next 2 weeks is eggs and campbell's soup.

What follows is usually blurred by alcohol.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Carbonated Brains--#1) why are there 10 steps in a French omelette and #2) eggs and campbell's soup is OK as long as you've got internet service, right?

See--I hijack even my OWN thread...
Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

i work from home so i switch off my work computer, look at all of the things i should have done today, then i walk into the bedroom put on my swimsuit and join my wife and son in the pool. a little bit later i fire up the grill, throw a slab of something sweet on it and enjoy the evening.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:11 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i work from home so i switch off my work computer, look at all of the things i should have done today, then i walk into the bedroom put on my swimsuit and join my wife and son in the pool. a little bit later i fire up the grill, throw a slab of something sweet on it and enjoy the evening.
I want that life. Except a husband instead of a wife...for various reasons. Of course, thinking it over, an extra wife around might be nice...I could foist all the cooking/cleaning on to her...not that I would!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
Carbonated_Brains

French Omelette:

1) Warm the eggs to room temperature in hot water for 5 minutes.
2) Season the eggs with a bit of fine grained salt.
3) Beat the eggs with a fork, in a small bowl.
4) Pre-heat the pan, empty, to let the metal expand and close any tiny scratches or cracks in the finish. Butter the pan with a basting brush.
5) Pour eggs into middle of pan, and then stir vigorously for 5 seconds with a spatula.
6) When eggs are clotted, lift and swirl the pan so the liquid, top part of the omelette pours off the egg and onto the outskirts of the pan.
7) Do absolutely nothing for ten seconds.
8) Jiggle the pan to loosen the omelette, so it will slide off.
9) Using an underhand frying pan grip, fold the omelette 1/3 over using a spatula, and then slowly slide onto a plate, further folding it as you do so, to create a perfect enveloped omelette.
10) Slather on a bit of butter, and dump on your herbs.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I want a whole lotta cellarites to cook for me...it may be my new dream...
Old 08-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #14
Carbonated_Brains

Before, or after I take that cooking class in Tuscany?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

How 'bout WHILE you take that cooking class in Tuscany? Can I come with???