The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Snakeadelic
Banned

Fandoms, Headcanons, OTPs, Shipping...

I am routinely astonished at how the Internet has changed being a fan of any visual medium these days. Some of it's terrifying (slash fic freaks me out), some of it's disturbing (waaayyyyyyy too much emotional investment to look healthy from the outside), and some is just flat hilarious.

I do claim membership in several fandoms: Supernatural, MCU, and Godzilla are my primaries. I have SO MANY memes & Tumblr posts saved off it's just approaching ludicrous.

I've written a few MCU-related headcanons, but have not published. I don't read or write actual fanfic because I knew a girl in high school back in the late 80s who wrote fanfic...for a cartoon. "Drac Pack." Just, um, NO.

Not into the "shipping" thing other than finding some of the fan art hilarious. Ditto the One True Pairing thing.

Anybody else into any of these, know a shipper, have opinions, etc? If anyone's interested I can post up a few of my very favorite memes & other images.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I have some pages of stuff I wrote in the style of Gunsmoke. Using the characters, personalities, towns, culture, the Gunsmoke universe, if you will.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

Gunsmoke fanfic actually sounds kinda fun! I bet my biker neighbor, who has a MASSIVE collection of westerns on DVD, would love it. It's not the kind of source material that routinely gets noticed these days, so kudos for creativity there!

I suppose some of my (not for publication) writing could be considered fanfic here and there. The core characters are mostly musicians and their support networks, both personal and professional, and since I've avoided letting the timeline include any fixed points from actual history, once in a while I throw moments with actual live musicians into the mix.

As for the One True Pairing part, I read maaannnnnnnyyyyyyy things about the Twilight series of books, one of which was about the 'Mary Sue' character trope. This is when your protagonist is so good at everything in life but like 1 or 2 things--they're clumsy, they have no fashion sense, their friend-making skills suck, whatever. I started wondering if my own fictitious leading lady was a Mary Sue, because in the original story I started working on 25 years ago she is part of the OTP.

So I started alternate storylines, just to see if I could broaden her spectrum of flaws. She's socially naive at the beginning, believes firmly in free will but refuses to consider or respect her own, and sets aside her own wishes and desires for the good of others often enough to have a minor martyrdom issue. Now I have, lemme think...a total of 6 differing storylines in the same setting (Los Angeles, roughly 1980-something at the start). First thing I did was kill the other half of her OTP. Twice. The original storyline begins Act II with the death of a different major character, so I wrote storylines where he survives but others do not.

And that is why, when I decide to sit down for a day of writing to blow off stress, I tell my nearest & dearest "I'm gonna go beat the hell out of my imaginary friends for a while." So far, the female protagonist is the only major character I haven't killed, since she's the origin of the entire story and I haven't yet had an epiphany about what might happen to the other characters without her to be the constant point of connection.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I struggle with the extra-canon stuff. Though I love creative expressions around those fandoms. I mainly stick to the tribute videos and fan-made trailers - some of which are funky, and some of which are their own little form of art.

I find it difficult to connect with the fan fic stuff though. I think my orientation to it is quite similar to my attitude towards counter-factual history: 'yeah, that's interesting but it is not what happened'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nowadays, fashionable trumps factual.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...fashionable trump...
Here's a fashionable Trump:

Name:  trump.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  55.5 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Snakeadelic
Banned

AAAAAAAHHHHHH please no Trumping! Ack!!!

Ahem.

Post what you like, but be aware that if I ever write ANY fiction about those people their ends will be messy and painful "on paper" as we used to say.

It is, indeed, highly fashionable at this point to describe oneself as a fanfic writer. Hey, they're legit now that one of them turned every arrestable sexual predation they could think of into a bestselling book and movie. I've read excerpts from the infamous 50 Shades, which started as Twilight fanfic, and the writing itself is as awful as the views of what I learned about as BDSM that are expressed. IN MY HUMBLE GODDAMN OPINION.

I love some of the "traditional art" fan stuff. There's a painting set with Thor and Loki and lots of lightning, I've seen 2 different pieces clearly from the same artist, that are just gorgeous. Another favorite appears to be high-end markers or very precise watercolor and shows just the hands to their elbows as Thor tries to hold Loki from falling off the Bifrost. Beautiful work, that one. And there are some gorgeous fan arts of my other favorite, which is of course Winter Soldier stuff.

For short-form written, I love the headcanons, especially Bland Marvel Headcanons (which extend past MCU to include X-Men stuff). Things like "Nick Fury has a plan for dealing with the zombie apocalypse. Also when the Girl Scouts take over the country. Not IF. WHEN." There's a longer one out there about Cap and Bucky and Girl Scout cookies hidden in the air vents of Avengers Tower that always makes me laugh.

As with any other kind of art and/or fandom, there's an ocean of swill out there that somehow manages to produce islands of spectacular beauty. I participate at any level because I have the patience to paddle through the ocean finding the islands.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Snakeadelic
Banned

If you do have a favorite fanart, headcanon, etc. feel free to link it here--if there's good stuff out there I don't want to miss it, because the ocean of swill is always, always rising...
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Snakeadelic
Banned

Meanwhile, putting this here to avoid hijacking anyone else's thread. Finally identified what is, for me, the single most annoying MCU plot hole thus far, and it's in the Captain America series. There are 2 kinds of "explain this bullsh*t" in our house when it comes to films. The first kind is "what were the writers/director/producers/actors thinking?" and the other is what the RPG group my sweetie's in call 'in-world', which means "explain this in a movie plot." I want this one resolved in-world in a future MCU movie.

Minor spoiler alert if you haven't seen all the Cap movies yet.

Civil War, summarized.
Whole World: "Eeeek, scary enhanced people don't save enough lives and politicians are freaking out so bad 117 countries wrote a 'muzzle these lunatics' treaty half of the aforementioned lunatics aren't crazy about signing."
Avengers: -bickering, snarking, foul language, character development
Whole World: Tunes in the signing of the Accords. "EEEEAAAGGGHHHH we gotta get this Winter Soldier guy cuz he's the scariest one of all! Worldwide manhunt!"
Actual Winter Soldier: "Damn, that newsstand guy made me and I didn't even get my lunch from the market. Wait, why is Captain America in my apartment in Bucharest? OH CRAP SWAT TEAM!"
Fast-forward to big airport showdown scene. You have Cap and I think it's Iron Man & War Machine. Much posturing, machismo, and some political rhetoric.
Captain America: "And there are five more just like him in Siberia. We can't let the maniac who turned the activated Winter Soldier loose in a major metro area without a mission other than 'survive at any cost' thaw them all out."
Suit Guys: --totally ignore that crucial and horrifying detail--
T'Challa: Thinks to himself 'Maybe if they do get past us I should follow them, but only so I can kill Barnes'. Ends up with a beautiful *character develops loudly* moment in Siberia.

When the entire world went batsh*t thinking there was ONE Winter Soldier, Tony and Rhodes should have crapped their suits hearing there are five more without having to hear the part about "less controllable, speak 30 languages combined, more kills than anyone else in Hydra history and that was pre-serum..."