The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

6*9=42

I know I haven't been around the old boards in a long, long time, and I doubt any of you would ever remember me (I wasn't all that interesting), but as I was flipping through my copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I came across something that, if my math is correct, could be very interesting. Those of you who have read the book (Slartibartfast, I'm calling you out), remember that the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is 42, and this makes little sense until the discover the question, "What is 6 * 9?", at which point it makes no sense whatsoever. However, if you change the number base, you can actually make that a true equation. The values of 6 and 9 remain unchanged when converted from base 10 to base 13, however the value 42 in base 13 is, voila, 54 in base 10. So the question is, did Doug Adams intend this to be true, or was it supposed to be something ridiculous and, by pure chance, ended up a true equation?

Opinions appreciated

Steve
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Also, for the record, the reason I came here first to ask this was because this is where I first read about Towel Day, and that little joke got me interested in reading the Hitchhiker series
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I remember you man, welcome any time, for any reason.

Back in the day I remember an interview with Douglas Adams, in which he said that people had come up to him with that revelation and it was a surprise to him and not what he actually intended. But a nice surprise.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

That book changed my life. I'm a lot more relaxed now. Is there gonna be a movie?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

Ayup.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

movie!

I had heard rumours about a movie, but I thought that the project had been dropped when Adams died. This is such incredible greatness.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #7
perth
Strong Silent Type

One can hope.

Of course, when Malkovich is involved, you cna for the most part expect it to be good. If I remember right, the character Malkovich is playing was specifically written by Adams with him in mind. Read an interview a while back with the guy who took over script treatment after Adams' death, and it was a pretty good read. I'll try to scare it up here...
Old 08-13-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

Here we go. He seems to have an appreciation for the source material. For the most part, he's just filling out and cleaning up the script Adams wrote himself.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Douglas Adams said that nobody writes jokes in base 13.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #10
headsplice
Relaxed

[Bubble bursting]Isn't the question, 'What is six times seven?'
Old 08-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

No, it is not. At least, not in the radio show and the TV miniseries. I haven't read the book recently, so that may be one of the differences - but I don't think so.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsplice
[Bubble bursting]Isn't the question, 'What is six times seven?'

When they're trying to determine the question (having the answer, and being five minutes from the question when the earth, which was really a giant, organic computer commissioned by mice, is blown to bits to make way for an interstellar by-pass), they consider "What is six times seven?", then decide it's too straightforward. I believe that "How many roads must a man walk down?" was also tried.

God(s), it's hard to explain Adams.

---Friedrich Nietzsche