The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

ok to just shoot people now apparently

can no longer refer to possibility of a civil war in the future tense
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

only if you're white. otherwise even the possibility you might have a gun is not ok
Old 08-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

To be fair, he's been arrested and charged with a half dozen crimes. Very curious to see if he's given more than a slap on the wrist.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
monster

which one?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
monster

The kid was only arrested after video and other public evidence was overwhelming. And he's a "kid" so..... the other one is still being paid, it seems....
Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

26 people have been shot dead so far during protesting/rioting
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
Clodfobble

Oh, for sure the kid was only arrested because of overwhelming video evidence. Thing is, if they do throw him under the bus, the law-and-order AR-15 types might turn on the cops. Like, "we showed up to do your dirty work, and this is the thanks we get?" On the other hand, maybe they'll just blame activist judges.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Guantanamo concentration camps. Secret torture chambers all over the world. When are gas chambers planned?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Not that anyone's likely to trust tw with a gun -- but if he's truly as concerned about gas chambers, and I suppose ovens, as he professes, tw would arm himself (even if he has to buy secondhand because he cannot afford more) and get competent at putting shots into the 10-ring. No evidence of this has appeared.

A concentration camp where the inmates put on an average of fifteen pounds' weight is an interesting camp indeed. Maybe they were really concentrating.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Better fat than free? I've got a wall to sell you.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
can no longer refer to possibility of a civil war in the future tense
In all seriousness, we all need to talk to people about how this could go if we don't leave our guns at home and stick to daylight peaceful protest.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
In all seriousness, we all need to talk to people about how this could go if we don't leave our guns at home and stick to daylight peaceful protest.

How it would go depends entirely on a) Who is in office delivering the spin, and b) Who owns the media delivering, cherry picking, and commenting on the delivered spin.

I honestly don't give dems a snowflake's chance in hell if it comes to a shooting war. They can't even manage an election campaign war. What makes them democrats is also what makes them unsuitable to battle, figurative or literal. They are too willing to see other's points of view and are mired in fact, ethics, and morality.

War and rules of engagement have always seemed contradictory; it's ok to kill but only if you do it this way? It's like following the Marquess of Queensberry Rules in a street fight.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
Ibby
erika

I very, very highly recommend the It Could Happen Here podcast from last year. conflict journalist Robert Evans lays out a really plausible (and so far eerily prescient) path towards a violent second civil war, and lays out steps that could be taken to help avoid it.

if it does come to a shooting war, it's likely to look less like the first civil war, with two clear sides with their own governments and territory, and a lot more like Syria, with many sides and factions vying for territory and security. it also won't be drawn along dem/rep lines - I can imagine a coalition of centrist Republicans and Democrats trying to hold the "center" politically (which is already the Biden campaign's strategy), but I can't imagine the Democrats organizing any legitimate resistance. More likely imo is organized left-wing (not liberal, leftist) groups organizing cities, or parts of cities, in "community self-defense" against the right-wing dominionist and fascist militias that have been prepping for exactly that opportunity. whether or not the military/ "government forces" get majorly involved is a big question, but I find it hard to imagine that the average soldier would be willing to fire on Americans.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
I find it hard to imagine that the average soldier would be willing to fire on Americans.
This is Mr. Clod's opinion as well, and it seems utterly bizarre to me. I don't find it hard to imagine AT ALL. Enforcers in every city are firing on Americans right now, just ones they've deemed destructive criminals. Yeah, they're not going to march into your suburban house and slaughter you on your couch--but if they think you're with "the other side?" Or if they think your house is secretly a resistance base and needs to be targeted? Soldiers will absolutely fire on people they no longer consider to be Americans.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
A concentration camp where the inmates put on an average of fifteen pounds' weight is an interesting camp indeed. Maybe they were really concentrating.
Just another way to torture someone. Feed then high sugar sweets. Then cost controls are also implemented.

Person who so needs a gun is the greatest threat to all other people. As clearly demonstrated three day ago in Wisconsin. A gun makes one, with least intelligence, feel more powerful and smarter. Ironically, that also describes most Trump supporters Explains why Trump supporters so often carry military assault weapons to Trump, KKK, and Nazi rallies.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote