The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #31
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

If a pedophile owns a Ford and molests children in the vehicle, is it Fords fault?
Would you not buy a Ford because of it?

If the man worked at Sony and molested children there, would you not buy anything from Sony?

For the record, I do not donate to any church.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

So not the same thing, and you know it.

If you worked at Sony, and there was a daycare center there, and there was a known pedophile working there, actively molesting children, would your children attend there? Hell no, you'd raise bloody hell and have that person thrown out on their ass.

But not priests. After all, they're priests.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #33
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I went through nine years of Catholic school, and like SG I almost became an athiest. Sadistic and perverted nuns and priests were only part of the problem. Sitting in a shithole overseas, I started reading the Bible, and couldn't believe anyone who read the Bible could possibly continue to believe what the church was teaching.
Thank God for putting me in a position to learn the truth.
Don't equate belief in God with any denomination. Jesus didn't, and I don't.
If I've offended any Catholics or athiests, or any other group, sorry.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Most Christian Churches encourage members to read/study the Bible, but the Roman Catholic Church doesn't, they tell members to read/memorize Catechism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Not one, but two stupid reasons.
You forgot to add IMHO

First off, "He's a family man and a Catholic," are Nikki Finke's words, not a direct quote. We don't know what he's said, but what ever his reasons are, he's certainly entitled to them.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #35
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

IMHO. The reason I feel they are stupid is that he is acting. The whole point of it is that you are portraying a situation, not actually in a situation. It is drama. Many Catholics and family men have portrayed sexual situations.

I'm not gay, but I would kiss a guy on stage. One is not playing one's self. It's acting.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #36
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Turn up every week and 'go through the rituals' ? If you're a devout catholic those rituals are your access to God. They're not empty, they're not interchangeable with any other rituals; they're the same rituals which lay behind hundreds of years of religious contention and outright war n Europe.

There are two or three major distinctions between Catholicism and protestantism; one of which relates to the need for priestly intercession, and another to transubstantiation. If you believe in these things, then there isn't an option to go elsewhere. If you leave the Catholic Church, you leave God's Church. Everything else that has happened, from priests buggering the choirboys, to nuns beating the shit out of orphans, is human sin, which has crept into God's Church. Terribly sad and upsetting that such sin has made it to the higher echelons, and now it seems even the very top; but human sin nonetheless.

I wasn't raised a catholic; but my Grandad on my Mum's side was catholic and my Dad's parents also. I met some fascinating and lovely people in the Church, whilst accompanying Gran to various things when she needed assistance; and I also met some outstanding hypocrites and sharks. It was those experiences, most particularly a pilgramage to Lourdes, that turned me into a confirmed atheist.

I have no love of catholicism, I see it as a dirty trick. It's a closed system. It isn't like any other form of Christianity (imo) and if you are inside it there is no way out without a near total and traumatic loss of faith. The function of guilt, sin and absolution within that system make it (again imo) less likely than in other denominations of Christianity, that people will react against the presence of sin by leaving the church. The role of priests is essential and incontrovertable to most practising catholics. Leaving the Church means leaving the priests, means losing the path to God. Leaving the Church means leaving behind the body and the blood of Christ (transubstantiation).

Catholicism is something which underlies identity. Catholic first. Everything else after.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #37
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I'm not gay, but I would kiss a guy on stage. One is not playing one's self. It's acting.
But you do have a line somewhere, surely. Would you make out with a guy on stage for upwards of 30 minutes, including copious groping of your genitalia? Would you do so completely naked? Would you give him a blow job? At some point, you'd become uncomfortable with the proceedings--or Jacquelita would.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #38
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
But you do have a line somewhere, surely. Would you make out with a guy on stage for upwards of 30 minutes, including copious groping of your genitalia? Would you do so completely naked? Would you give him a blow job? At some point, you'd become uncomfortable with the proceedings--or Jacquelita would.

:: stabs himself in his mind's eye ::

thanks, clobble, for pulling up short of the vigorous anal part.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #39
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Hehheh

She was saving the vigorous anal part for the description of the priests.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

You save the 'vigorous anal' for the encore.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #41
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Turn up every week and 'go through the rituals' ? If you're a devout catholic those rituals are your access to God....
Catholicism is something which underlies identity. Catholic first. Everything else after.

Look, I don't care if they believe they're reverse vampires and god has a space ship waiting for them on the moon. There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with sex crimes, catholics are not exempt. I understand they want to save their eternal ass at any cost, I think they're in the wrong.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #42
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with sex crimes,
You are giving the church too much credit. As Lynn Abraham DA for Philadelphia proved, the church was aware of pedophilia by the hundreds. They did not do the right or wrong way. They did nothing. They knew of hundreds of pedophile priests only in in one diocese. Their records show it. And they did virtually nothing.

That was only one Philadelphia area diocese. How many more just in the Philly area did nothing? The attitude so pervasive as to exist in Germany, Ireland, Australia, and where will it be ‘discovered’ next? When do priests in Vatican City get discovered? Or is pedophilia legal in that nation.

You give then too much credit for dealing with it the wrong way. They literally did nothing to solve the problem.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #43
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

In my admittedly uninformed opinion, the Catholic Church exists to perpetuate itself. it does this by placing itself in the path between the flock and salvation. It is a power play and nothing else. The Priests have the power over the congregation. Who would be attracted to the life of a Catholic Priest? Someone who wants power over others. I'm sure not ALL Priests are attracted for that reason, but like anything else.....

It's just like the way that bully in your high school ended up being a cop.

The FACT that the church routinely ignores/condones/sanctions/facilitates pedophilia should be enough to wake up anyone with a strong moral compass. It would HAVE to be a deal breaker.

If you continue to support a group that does shit like this, you're culpable.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I draw the line at actual arousal.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #45
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Your arousal, or his? I once had to kiss a guy on stage who had a very obvious erection. I figured it wasn't his fault...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote