The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mar 24, 2010: Plastiki

Back in 1947, Thor Heyerdahl & friends, built a boat from reeds called Kon-Tiki, and proved the Pacific could be navigated with primitive craft.
Flash forward to 2010.
A bunch of hippies, including an Olev Heyerdahl, have set sail from San Francisco headed for Sydney, on a super hi-tech plastic boat called the Plastiki.

Far from a reed raft, the Plastiki is a super sophisticated craft with all the electronic bells & whistles. Electricity comes from solar panels, wind turbines, trailing water turbines, and stationary bike driven generators. The solar desalinization unit produces 12 liters an hour, and they even have a mini-greenhouse to grow fresh greens.

Supposedly this hi-tech, corporate sponsored, mucho-money, expedition, is to call attention to plastic recycling, the polluted Pacific, renewable energy, yada yada yada. But I think they just wanted to have fun.

Of course, no matter how hi-tech the craft, the Pacific can swallow it in a heartbeat.

You can check out the details, and follow the voyage, here.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I've always wanted to build a unique watercraft. And I will. Just not today.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Thar be pirate ships on the horizon. I'll bet they're after their brocolli!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
rditlkustoleit
Violator of Customs

WOW!?
Boat loads of money, time and technology spent on replicating that which was created and accomplished 63 years ago

We love making that which is simple, absurdly complex, then wave a hot button pc flag and call it achievement.
rditlkustoleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
glatt

I think it's cool what they are doing. Just because mankind has explored the world, doesn't mean we should all sit at home watching tv now.

It's interesting to me that they are so self contained. The solar/wind powered water maker, and the greenhouse for growing food are both remarkable. Making the thing out of recycled plastics is also cool. None of those things are new inventions, but combining them all into this boat is unusual and cool. It shows what some possibilities are and may lead others to come up with additional ideas. Plus, some people like to sail. It's fun. What's wrong with that?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It reminds me of

Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
LittleWolf
Abhorrent Aberrant

It sounds like a great vessel, with all the self-sustaining technology and craft, but what I never understand is how it is supposedly done to bring forth awareness.

With the money that went into building it, I'm sure a couple programs would've been financed towards cleaning the Pacific or the Atlantic plastic mire.
LittleWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

If you use money that could have built one boat, you have enough money to clean up some pollution, your efforts equal to the cost of one boat.

If you use money to build the boat, you might raise enough awareness to get more contributions than just equal to the cost of one boat.

We never would have heard about the buck-fitty (relatively speaking when considering the vastness of the ocean) worth of ocean pollution that was cleaned up.

@ spexx: is that Waterworld?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
@ spexx: is that Waterworld?
Yup
Old 03-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
rditlkustoleit
Violator of Customs

I don't begrudge Olev and his friends their toys, interests or lifestyle. Just call it what it is and don't try and attach some higher intent or purpose to it.

We don't need to be more "aware" or "informed", we are in excess of both. I'd be much more impressed if they were cleaning up some of the plastic along the way.

A great deal of our "awareness", including the Pacific trash, is not brought to our attention by grand gestures, campaigning or the like. It's typically your "average" person just doing their job or actively working to create change that starts the chain of awareness.

From my perspective, giving credit to those who spend a lot of time and money to build a boat under the guise of "bringing awareness" is getting caught up in the "thick of thin things".

Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Tell me a story. Tell me a story about some guys who went along in a little boat and picked up some milk containers. Tell me. What do you mean, you've never heard any?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Meh - plenty of people build things, float things, publicise things. I say if they are also sampling new technology and bringing the green agenda to websites like this, good on them.

After all, if they weren't, plenty of places (not here) would be moaning about the environmental impact blah blah blah. Personally I'm surprised Formula One is still going... Not that it would break my heart if it stopped - Dads and I only watch the first 15 mins for crashes
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Me no swim. Me no want.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I'll take the $$... keep the fucking boat.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rditlkustoleit View Post
I don't begrudge Olev and his friends their toys, interests or lifestyle. Just call it what it is and don't try and attach some higher intent or purpose to it.

We don't need to be more "aware" or "informed", we are in excess of both. I'd be much more impressed if they were cleaning up some of the plastic along the way.

A great deal of our "awareness", including the Pacific trash, is not brought to our attention by grand gestures, campaigning or the like. It's typically your "average" person just doing their job or actively working to create change that starts the chain of awareness.

From my perspective, giving credit to those who spend a lot of time and money to build a boat under the guise of "bringing awareness" is getting caught up in the "thick of thin things".

Hmmm. How interested would we all be about someone who set out in a regular boat and brought back a few trashbags of junk from the pacific? Would it even make image of the day? Or Digg, or reddit or whatever?

The serious money for serious clean up projects does not come from individuals but from companies. Companies who want recognition. They're going to put their money through the projects that are getting publicity. THEN it can be used to actually do the clean-up work. That's what is meant by awareness.

What have you personally done for this cause? Anything? No, thought not.