The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The whole motley crew. Taken by a non-familial guest. She suggested and organised the photo and I am very grateful for that - I was just snapping individuals as my own personal record of the day.

Left to right, Erika (SIL) with Diz, Laura (sis), Gary (BIL), Samuel (nephew), Mum, Dad, Abs (niece & great-nephews), Connor (tall), Stevo (bro) and yours truly.

And here I am waiting for a photo to be taken. The one with me smiling is blurred so you get this slightly bemused one instead.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #47
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Connor seems like a really good chap.
I can see how relaxed Abigail is around him. She is completely herself, so he was able to slot into the occasion without wondering why she had become a completely different person (this sounds obvious but it's not always the case with 17 year olds!)

He was quite sanguine. I quizzed him quite extensively and he took it all in good humour. Some of it was genuine questions but more was just silliness ("vampire or werewolf?") and he seemed very natural, admitting when he had no clue or had little opinion to offer.

As I said on the day, it's nice to see some height potential being added to the family gene pool In this photo she is standing on a higher step of the decking. See previous post for the real height difference.

Mum and Dad of course. Mum wearing Dad's Aussie hat - it was a day of sunshine and showers and we were in and out of the house a couple of times.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #48
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Laura & Gary.
More relaxed and happier than I have seen them all year.
They've had to make a concerted effort to save their marriage while going through all this. They're still unhappy, but they are coming through it as a committed unit. I sincerely admire tham for this.

Even if G still regards me as some bizarre comic-turn that says the most extraordinary things. I admit I'm ruder in front of him that anywhere else other then here. But he eggs me on because he genuinely doesn't seem to believe the things I say or admit to having done. And he doesn't know the half of it!!

Abs & Samuel. My only good pic of Sams because he is in Annoying Younger Brother Mode and deliberately moves or obscures his face in the second after the button is depressed. He's not camera shy, just thinks it's funny. He is also in full-on double entendre mode. Fnarr, fnarr to any mention of bottom, box, cream, cheese etc etc. It's wearing, but I do have a lot of time for him. I had to be careful what I said as he's still innocent despite his attempted crudity. I did manage some subtle heading off at the pass though. "Eugh! You just said it came in a nice box!"
"Yes, I was talking about the gift-wrap. Did you think I was talking about the contents of someone's knickers?"
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I expect the next time I see Abigail is when the twins are born (9 July) or as soon after as possible. Everyone had told me how HUGE she was. Judge for yourself. Yes, she's carrying 9lb of babies, but I wouldn't put her past 6 months with one child, let alone 8 months with two. They're all happy and healthy though, and I can report that she is eating well. Even though she had to go pee behind a bush on her way back from walking Connor to the bus stop!

So this is Diz, chilling out and enjoying a moment of alone time after being fussed quite a bit by various people.
And a last shot of me because it was my birthday after all.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 07-02-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #50
glatt

looks like a lovely day!

Happy Birthday.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #51
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Love your hair Chezza!

Looks like everyone had a good time.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #52
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Damn - I meant to give you this yesterday!!! I'll look after it for you shall I?

Name:  ticket.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  118.9 KB

Happy birthday!!

Oh! And it looks like you had a lovely time! I am glad!!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yes please, look after it very carefully!
Then post it to me if the weather starts looking grim so that I can selfishly treasure it and not worry about whether you will make it over from Arran...

I'm a bit worried about whether the Megabus will be running on the night of the 23rd. I mean it must be, right? It arrives on the morning of Christmas Eve and everyone is still working then. Right?

It's not possible book that far ahead, so I'll have to keep checking and rechecking.
I console myself that if I am stranded on the way home at least I'll already have seen you & Dani & JB. I might buy a SheWee just in case though...
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #54
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

How nice! Connor looks like a good chap. At first I thought your nephew was her beau, and was frightened.

I agree with you, Abigail doesn't look giant as far as pregnant chicks go. But 9 lbs of baby isn't really that much; my second one was more than that all by herself. I recently saw a picture of a woman (friend of a friend) the day before she delivered twins that were roughly 8.5 pounds each. She was unable to stand for more than a few minutes at a time, and her proportions were genuinely disturbing.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #55
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

She's been very carefully monitored. Her age and size have made her "at risk" from the start.
I don't completely know why - my teacher quizzed me about it yesterday with quite an accusing tone. Then again pretty much everything she says sounds critical and I've finally learned to accept it as just her way. Just in time to leave her class

But you're saying what I think Clod - she doesn't even look like she's carrying 9lbs, so where the HUGE came from I can only guess. And my guess is my skinny sister. Who did not wear any maternity clothes during either of her pregnancies, choosing instead to wear her normal jeans with an extender belt under her neat tidy bump, and slightly larger tops which I inherited, being bigger in the bust than her even at my slimmest.

Connor is 20, soon to be 21. Not to be mistaken for my baby-faced 14yo nephew

Yes, I am pleased with him. I can see how his calm attitude has brought L & G round. And the fact that his Mum has been so kind and accepting towards Abigail.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #56
DanaC

Yeah, I like the look of Connor.

And they look good together, comfortable with each other.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #57
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Me, so busy talking that I do not realise a butterfly has perched on my nose.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #58
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

And back to the real purpose for the thread - please welcome Jack (4lb 4.5oz) and Liam (4lb 5oz) And no, I'm not sure which one is which in this picture. I get to go see Abigail tomorrow - no guarantee I will see the babies.

She is well, but tired, and upset that she cannot see her babies but Connor can (he's already fed them). She is worried they will bond with him and not her. She was talked through this before the birth of course, but I imagine it feels very different now. Mum was reassuring her, and I'm sure the nurses will too.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #59
DanaC

Awww. Oh look at them. How gorgeous are they?

How come she can't see her bairns?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #60
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Lovely!