Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
jinx
Come on, cat.

New safety laws for kid stuff

LA Times story

Quote:
Barring a reprieve, regulations set to take effect next month could force thousands of clothing retailers and thrift stores to throw away trunkloads of children's clothing.

The law, aimed at keeping lead-filled merchandise away from children, mandates that all products sold for those age 12 and younger -- including clothing -- be tested for lead and phthalates, which are chemicals used to make plastics more pliable. Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead.

Supporters say the measure is sorely needed. One health advocacy group said it found high levels of lead in dozens of products purchased around the country, including children's jewelry, backpacks and ponchos.

Lead can also be found in buttons or charms on clothing and on appliques that have been added to fabric, said Charles Margulis, communications director for the Center for Environmental Health in Oakland. A child in Minnesota died a few years ago after swallowing a lead charm on his sneaker, he said.

But others say the measure was written too broadly. Among the most vocal critics to emerge in recent weeks are U.S.-based makers of handcrafted toys and handmade clothes, as well as thrift and consignment shops that sell children's clothing.

There is the possibility of a partial reprieve. The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is responsible for enforcing the law, on Monday will consider exempting clothing and toys made of natural materials such as wool or wood. The commission does not have the authority to change the law but can decide how to interpret it.
So the prices will go up on new clothes, you won't be able to buy clothes at second hand shops, but Thomas trains might be spared. Hey, thanks China.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

Thanks for the tidbit -- I sent it on to my SIL.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh goodness. Wrap the kids in bubblewrap and keep them in the house.

I'm pretty sure we survived much worse.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, and look how well we turned out.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It built character, man.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Toolin' around on the moped with no helmet. Riding my bike into the next town. Riding in the back of my dad's pick-up truck. Swimming in the quarry. Things kids probably can't do today...but they were some good times.

The thing is, that kid who died eating a lead charm? He was 12. Survival of the fittest and all.

(I have no idea how old that kid was...I was kidding.)
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wow. No second hand kids' clothes? I mean, obviously, someone somewhere will sell some.....what they gonna do, police garage sales? But still...that's a kick in teeth to any family on a tight income with fast growing kids.

You know, thinking about it, it's a wonder any of us made it to adulthood given how dangerous the world is and how imminent the peril around every corner, or indeed lurking in an innocent looking thrift shop.

[eta] It must be truly, incomprehensively awful to lose a child, or see your child injured, but unless there's been a gross dereliction of duty or ill intent, it's usually a personal tragedy not a public one. It really pisses me off, when that personal tragedy is used to drive or shore up public policy. I mean, if you buy a toy bear and its has a bloody big metal spike inside it, you've a case for pushing for better quality checks and standards on kid's toys. But a child of 12 removes something from his trainer and chokes on it? Really?

Last edited by DanaC; 01-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

We buy everything at thrift stores, including most of my work clothes.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

The one big thing I remember (I'm sure there were others that aren't surfacing as readily) was the jungle gym on the school playground. It had to be twelve feet tall or so. And the playground was sand. Nice, hard, unyielding, injury-causing sand. None of this soft, kid-friendly mulch. Lawsuit city.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
glatt

Sand? Sand?!

I'm sure that was nice for you sissies. Our playground equipment was located over blacktop.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Flint
Snowflake

We had gravel.

And we never swallowed anything that came off of our shoes.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Cars are dangerous. We ride in those all the time.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Our playground equipment was located over blacktop.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
We had gravel.
Once mom found this, we weren't allowed to go to the other one...the gravel was so much SAFER!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was talking to Mum today about witches' hats. A really exciting playground staple until they were banned for being dangerous. She had no idea what I meant until I described it verbally and sketched it out in the air with my hands. Then she remembered them, but only from her own childhood, not that they were banned during mine.

Here is one in a foreign place.
My apologies, you can't embed - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_lZbjTsIM
Here is another from the fifties, the standard UK hat is in the background from 0.05

It's a conical device balacing on a central pole with a plank seat surround. Looks great. Looks harmless and safe with an ickle babba on it. Rises and dips slowly and serenely.

Now, imagine it is not quite so well balanced. Imagine you are a skinny child, standing on the seat (you were actually supposed to sit on the ones I grew up with, the seats were low) and there are other heavier, more boisterous children spinning the ride, and weighting it down in peculiar ways, so that you are plunged down one second and then lifted wide-eyed into what feels like the sky the next.

Yes, I loved it. I sincerely mourn its passing.

But I do appreciate that some children were probably hurt on it/ by it. My tough old parents, born during the war/ the war's aftermath would have accepted a playground injury. But the world moves on from that. Although perhaps not for foreigners

Last edited by Sundae; 01-06-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
glatt

I haven't seen a playground merry-go-round since I was a kid. Even full sized swings are very hard to find. I know of only 2 full sized swing sets in my county, and they are old.
Attached Images

Last edited by glatt; 01-06-2009 at 03:48 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote