The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #901
Redux

So your rebuttal will now be "ACORN....." in every political discussion when you dont want to respond directly to a factual post on the topic under discussion?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #902
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Choke on this video link:

Quote:
And so now, here is the video of Barack Obama telling Community Organizers from around the country, which includes ACORN of course, that they will be setting his agenda before he is even inaugurated:
http://uppitywoman08.wordpress.com/2...et-his-agenda/
Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #903
Redux

Repeat:

So your rebuttal will now be "ACORN....." in every political discussion when you dont want to respond directly to a factual post on the topic under discussion?

I get it!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #904
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Actually no, but I didn't bring up Joe Wilson in the healthcare thread either.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #905
Redux

Cool....then lets focus on your (?) contention that the government cant do anything right...particularly in health care.

Please cite where the SCHIP program that provides health care to millions of kids of working families has not been efficient, successful and accepted enthusiastically by all parties involved, particularly (parents of) patients and health care providers.

The only inefficiencies I have heard from those oppososed to the program is that many eligible families have not signed up for the program - so it must not be working, despite the fact that it is working extraordinarily well for 6+ million kids.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #906
TheMercenary

So your rebuttal will now be Joe Wilson called the President a liar in every political discussion when you dont want to respond directly to a factual post on the topic under discussion?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #907
Redux

Nope..I simply thought it was a bit hypocritical for Wilson to complain about illegal immigrants getting health care two months after he sponsored a bill to give resident status to an illegal.

But, back to topic: health care and your contention that the government cant do it right.

SCHIP and 6+ millions kids of working families now receiving quality, efficient, health care.

SO whats wrong with SCHIP? How is it inefficient and how could the private sector alone do it better?

ps. I promise not to bring up Wilson again in an unrelated discussion if you do the same with ACORN.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #908
TheMercenary

Quote:
Cool....then lets focus on your (?) contention that the government cant do anything right...particularly in health care.

Please cite where the SCHIP program that provides health care to millions of kids of working families has not been efficient, successful and accepted enthusiastically by all parties involved, particularly (parents of) patients and health care providers.

The only inefficiencies I have heard from those oppososed to the program is that many eligible families have not signed up for the program - so it must not be working, despite the fact that it is working extraordinarily well for 6+ million kids.
Actually what was stated is that in a general sense the government has failed to adequately administer most anything it touches that does not involve waste, abuse, and mismanagement.

In the case of SCHIP RWF has reported the following. In all its good it has basically failed:

Quote:
“The State of Kids’ Coverage” was released today by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). The report shows that the number of uninsured children has decreased by 2 million since the creation of SCHIP and recent expansions in public programs. In the same period, the number of uninsured Americans has increased by nearly 5 million people.

The percentage of children who have private health insurance has fallen by five percent since 1997-98. That means 1.4 million fewer kids have private health insurance.
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2006/august...uccess_and.php

This is a great link by the KFF that shows how it fell short:

http://www.kff.org/medicaid/upload/7758.pdf

I fully support SCHIP.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #909
TheMercenary

Quote:
Nope..I simply thought it was a bit hypocritical for Wilson to complain about illegal immigrants getting health care two months after he sponsored a bill to give resident status to an illegal.

But, back to topic: health care and your contention that the government cant do it right.

SCHIP and 6+ millions kids of working families now receiving quality, efficient, health care.

SO whats wrong with SCHIP? How is it inefficient and how could the private sector alone do it better?

ps. I promise not to bring up Wilson again in an unrelated discussion if you do the same with ACORN.
FTR I think Wilson was out of line. I do not support him or his comments. They were out of line and disrespectful. He should be publically admonished.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #910
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Actually what was stated is that in a general sense the government has failed to adequately administer most anything it touches that does not involve waste, abuse, and mismanagement.

In the case of SCHIP RWF has reported the following. In all its good it has basically failed:

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2006/august...uccess_and.php
I would not characterize this as a failure:
...a new study analyzing government data suggests good news for the nation’s children. The percentage of uninsured kids in America has decreased by 20 percent since the government-funded State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) was approved by Congress in 1997.

...The report shows that the number of uninsured children has decreased by 2 million since the creation of SCHIP and recent expansions in public programs.

Quote:
This is a great link by the KFF that shows how it fell short:

http://www.kff.org/medicaid/upload/7758.pdf

I fully support SCHIP.
So we are in agreement that SCHIP, a government administered health care program, is not wasteful, fraudulent or mismanaged, other than falling short of keeping up with more and more working families loosing their private health insurance.

Last edited by Redux; 09-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #911
TheMercenary

Quote:
I would not characterize this as a failure:
...a new study analyzing government data suggests good news for the nation’s children. The percentage of uninsured kids in America has decreased by 20 percent since the government-funded State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) was approved by Congress in 1997...

The report shows that the number of uninsured children has decreased by 2 million since the creation of SCHIP and recent expansions in public programs.
But yet the number of uninsured has risen above that covered. Hence it has failed to do what it was designed to do..[/quote] But yet the number of uninsured has risen above that covered. Hence it has failed to do what it was designed to do.

Quote:
So we are in agreement that SCHIP, a government administered health care program, is not wasteful, fraudulent or mismanaged, other than falling short of keeping up with more and more working families loosing their private health insurance.
No absolutely not.

So how well has SCHIP done since Jan 09 when the Demoncrats and Obama took over and more than 2 million are out of work. The numbers are still out there, but I doubt SCHIP provided for all those familes, hence hundreds of thousands have no healthcare. Right? Or did SCHIP cover those who have lost jobs since The Dems took over?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #912
TheMercenary

Quote:
Yet there are real limits to incremental health reform. After all, despite gains in Medicaid and SCHIP, almost nine million children remain uninsured. The insurance system for children, notwithstanding their sympathetic status, is beset by the same problems that plague the rest of the U.S. health care system: fragmentation, inequality, and alarming coverage gaps.
http://pnhp.org/blog/2009/03/17/schi...ncrementalism/
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #913
Redux

Well, then I guess we disagree.

I dont think it is a failure of the program simply because SCHIP cannot keep up with the record rate at which working families have been loosing their health insurance over the last 10 years since the program's inception.

It is a failure of the health care system as a whole (as noted in your bolding above) and it is not limited to the actions of the Democrats in the last two years.

I have no idea how many additional kids have been covered since Obama signed the extension in February. Presumably, more than those who were left uncovered by Bush's two vetos of the bill.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #914
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
So I guess we're going with non sequitur.
I guess you've got a mouse in your pocket.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #915
TheMercenary

Quote:
Well, then I guess we disagree.

I dont think it is a failure of the program simply because SCHIP cannot keep up with the record rate at which working families have been loosing their health insurance over the last 10 years since the program's inception.

It is a failure of the health care system as a whole (as noted in your bolding above) and it is not limited to the actions of the Democrats in the last two years.

I have no idea how many additional kids have been covered since Obama signed the extension in February. Presumably, more than those who were left uncovered by Bush's two vetos of the bill.
The problem is not over the last 10 years, the problem is the last 9 months!