The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-20-2002, 10:10 AM   #46
dave

Where you at in Toronto? It's one of my favorite cities... was up there for 2 weeks 2 years ago... would like to go back...

TTA is still superior to Metro down here...
Old 01-20-2002, 11:07 AM   #47
Nic Name
retired

Living the urban lifestyle, right downtown, near the Provincial (State) Legislature buildings at Queen's Park, and the University of Toronto campus. It is a world class city. Too bad we missed out on the 2008 Olympic bid to Bejing. We'd love to have hosted y'all.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #48
Nic Name
retired

If we do go ahead and move Philadelphia into Cities in the Main Forums ...

it might be good to create a Cellar Community Center in Cellar-related.

This would be a good place to just hang out online in the Cellar. Or to post personally oriented questions to other cellarites.

Like the post above, where dham wants to start a conversation with me about where I live in Toronto ... and I replied. This "conversation" ought to have taken place in the Cellar Communty Center, rather than in a thread about "new main area forums" where it is off-topic. Where things get really out of control, is where others start to jump into this "conversation topic" and the thread becomes all about where someone lives or what they love to eat. The biggest problem with "off-topic" digressions is that they present to the membership at large, and to guests, a false promise of new discussion on the topic of the thread. And when the fresh posts are off-topic, this can be a disappointment to the user.

The proposal for a Forum to facilitate random visits or conversational threads on no particular topic, just to visit and get to know each other, is different from IRC, and is more consistent with the messageboard metaphor of the Cellar. First, it is an open dialogue that is open for all members and guests to overhear (over-read) or participate in the conversational thread. Second, it facilitates a conversational thread to develop, even when the participants are not online at the same time, which is often the case with time zone differences worldwide.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:49 AM   #49
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
God knows how many New Yorkers, the capital of the world, members are on here already. Don't get them started.

Now see here, this is a smart one. He insults me, yet he acknowledges New York's superiority. Thus, I merely break his leg, not his neck.

~mike
Old 01-21-2002, 05:32 PM   #50
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Finally the Cities forum. If the Philadelphia forum quiets to the point where there's only one thread in it, I'll just cut it off and then folks can post about Philly in the Cities forum.

Thanks Nic for the suggestion. I haven't dropped the rest of your ideas, it's just that there are so many!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:07 PM   #51
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Undertoad
Just Some Guy

hehe. just thought id point that out.

ANYWAYS, no offense, but i dont think we have enough traffic/posters to fill up all these new catagories. Cause politics never seems to have any threads in it. Might be worth it to drop a mass email to all the users to see if anybody remembers that we are here.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:45 PM   #52
Nic Name
retired

Sports Fans

Well, it seems that there isn't enough of an interest among the members of Cellar to create a Sports forum ... and that's OK.

It would be impossible with such a small membership as Cellar to create a sports fan community that would have the breadth and depth of content in a vBulletin sports fan community, as already exists at www.fanhome.com.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:55 AM   #53
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

*ponders if there are any pro wrestling fans lurking on the Cellar that would come out if there were a sports forum...

~mike
Old 03-15-2002, 02:44 PM   #54
middlefunger
highly unstable

Talking

/me is going to pay $20 to split the cost of Wrestlemania this weekend to watch the Hulkster get the smack layed down on his candy ass!

OOO YEAH!

seriously, what about a link section (like MLP at K5)? Or, since so many articles are linked anyway, is that just redundant? maybe an add-on to the profiles? (I'm just throwing ideas out here, bash or clap at will)