The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

who, me? No. Well.... define people person... I love people. I eat children for breakfast and adults for lunch, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy people like you. Maybe I'm an antifucktardarian? Or something.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
monster

go....
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
monster

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
not a people person are you?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #20
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
who, me? No. Well.... define people person... I love people. I eat children for breakfast and adults for lunch, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy people like you. Maybe I'm an antifucktardarian? Or something.
The correct term is 'fucktardist'
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
it
Banned

i have to admit monster you go me, i've never met a troll from The Greatest Generation and didn't see it coming.

but it is interesting - the tactics are very different; backhanded compliments? looking for stereotypical sensitive spots like parenting? your like a "real life" version of this:

i haven't fallen to feeding the trolls in ages, but with you i sort of want to feed you to see what comes out next....

Last edited by it; 01-09-2012 at 06:26 AM.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
infinite monkey

[Willy] A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. [/Wonka]
Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
monster

Miss, miss! He called me a name! And he posted a rude picture! Miss! he hurt my feeeeelings.......

Miiiiiss! there's a troll in the playground!

Traceur, you bragged of your bad parenting. You got called out on it. You made a dick of yourself, you didn't need my help. And you know, there are usually a bazillion yippy-yappers waiting to voraciously defend anyone I might slightly disagree with..... and yet there was kind of a deafening silence there......
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Bragged of his bad parenting? Wtf are you talking about? I must have missed that.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
it
Banned

not sure if your serious or just looking for more food, but i'll amuse you:
"o no, and i didn't even take my child to church..."

a good parent knows his child and knows his capacities - whether its telling the difference between real and pretend, whats the child's understanding of violence and when he understands its wrong. bad parenting such as simply trying to block it from the kid is simply delaying a strike that will get there when you don't have a chance to provide any context. the key is to present it with the right understanding of what's going on so that the child has a context to understand it by when he is exposed to it.
the timing of when you choose what to expose him to based on what dagree of context you know he is able to understand, and the basis for doin that comes from knowing your own kid, but you have to keep in mind that the later you do it the more likely it is society is going to be beat you to it.

if you genuinely believe that pointing that out is calling out on bad parenting, and if the lack of understanding says anything about how you are as a parent, then all you've done is allowing others to do the bad parenting for you.

but hey, since you seem so inclined to let others vote for what should count as the right way to parent by their yippy-yapping, you probably shouldn't feel bad. there are millions of parents whose children get behind their backs to see and do whatever they can while their parents are waiting for the day they themselves are ready to talk about birds and bees. your kids will fit in perfectly fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
infinite monkey

Do you show prontography to your 5 year old child ? I doubt it.

Murderous blood and realistic violence: yeah, sure, he can handle that. But I bet you draw the line about showing him prontography.

And "context to understand it when he is exposed to it." I don't know, perhaps he'll run into a lot of Flamethrowers and futuristic annihilation weapons in CANADA, but I doubt it. Because, it's Canada. And because the whole "UNREAL" thing.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well. All I know is that my nieces were allowed to watch things that were rated way above their age, when my brother and SiL thought they would be ok with it. The eldest, when she was 9, loved Kill Bill. Used to try out some of the fighting moves in the living room and had the soundtrack and all sorts.

A more well-adjusted young woman you could not hope to meet.

By your standards here that would seem to be bad parenting. Letting a 9 year old watch Kill Bill. But I'd happily punch in the face anybody who tried to tell me that. Because my brother and his wife are excellent parents.

The point is: that all children are different, and develop at different stages. Can cope with different levels of reality. Good parenting involves knowing your child. Not just taking as read whatever agebased bar the ratings agencies have given.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
it
Banned

really? the "they don't care about violence but they block anything sexual" cultural cirtisizm? does anything about me read american to you?

i am not going to show him two girls and a cup and i am not going to show him somone taking out anyone's entrails. but he has a context to understand violence and he has a context to understand people having sex.

with sex we had to improvise to build on his understanding, because he saw it, it wasn't planned but he did, and he had the unfortunate correct understanding that mommy and daddy are playing, which while technically being true it has the unfortunate implications that its something he might enjoy trying with his friends.

now i wasn't going to give him the bullshit about it being to only make babies or that its something people only do when they are inlove. we had to change what he got from it that from something that can be fun to something that will be fun one day, when he grows up. he already knew that just like somethings didn't use to be funny but are starting to be funny now because he understands the jokes, and we built on that. sex is something that is yucky that one day will be fun to play, but only when he is big like daddy and when his friends are big like mommy.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
infinite monkey

5 years old vs 9 years old: different worlds.

Quote:
does anything about me read american to you?
No, but you sure tried, gawd bless ya! Well sort of. Canada is close enough.

I'm glad the little tyke will be ready for the alien armageddon, really.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I'm glad the little tyke will be ready for the alien armageddon, really.
..or school :p

seriously when i just came there my kid used to get into trouble a lot for hitting, which is almost natural considering he's bigger then his class mates, but it came with certain responsibilities as far as i was concerned.

after awhile on working on it he stoped completely, and since then he got into trouble for hitting exactly once - when an older kid was hitting my kid's friend. kids will be kids, but he knows how to playfight without physically hurting and he knows when its ok to hurt someone else.

Last edited by it; 01-09-2012 at 09:06 AM.