The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-25-2003, 08:35 AM   #1
dave

Worst Song Ending?

Ever been listening to a song the first time, totally blown away by how great it is... and then, all of a sudden, the end of the song totally sucks? Maybe you're left there, sitting and wondering, "What the fuck were they thinking? Why did they go out like <b>that</b>?"

I've got a couple of them right here for you, and I encourage you to post your own. Just make sure that the song itself is good, but the ending sucks. Totally sucky songs don't count.

<b>Derek and the Dominos - Layla</b> - Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What the fuck, Eric? The song ruled beyond comparison until 3:08 in, where it manages to suck for an extended ending of almost <b>four minutes</b>! It just doesn't fit at all. I need to edit the MP3 and just delete that part. The music itself isn't horrible or anything, but it fits about as well as I do in Jenni's pajamas (i.e., not at all).

<b>Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence</b> - It's laughable. It's so laughable, they've taken it out of all versions subsequent its original release on <i>Violator</i>. For those of you who don't know it, after the song ends, about five seconds of silence and then, in this really fucking dorky voice, the words "Enjoooooooy The Siiiiiiiiiiiilenceeeeeeee". You have to hear it to understand. It's the most fucking retarded thing ever. I know I've bitched about it here before, but really. It's such a great goddamn song, and then THAT. Ugh.

So, what others? I know there must be more out there.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:34 AM   #2
Tobiasly
hot

I think the ending to Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" is pretty retarded. They just kinda mash on their instruments for a bit but it sounds like shit.

Faith No More did a decent cover on The Real Thing, but didn't improve the ending any.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Technically though, that's not the end of the song...you have that one-minute interlude the follows the dorky part.

The dorky part ends the Hands Clean mix on the CD single. Then Martin Gore does his own version of it on the Harmonium mix at the end. And it's featured prominently in 2 of the other remixes, so you better run out and get the single right away, since I know how much you love that part.

Public Enemy and Anthrax--Bring tha Noize: The version on Public Enemy's Apocalypse '91 has an out-of-place interlude at the end. Maybe it seemed cool at the time, but...

Last edited by elSicomoro; 07-25-2003 at 07:17 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Suite Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby Stills and Nash.

(Do do do do, do do do do do do do. Do do do do, do do do do do do do. Do do do do, do do do do do do do. Do do do do, do do do do do do do. Do do do do, do do do do do do do........)
Old 07-28-2003, 06:12 AM   #5
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Tears for Fears, "Shout". Maybe it's just the radio edit or whatever, but the song had a clear ending, then goes into a 1:30 jam that just appears out of nowhere and ends just as abruptly.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:24 PM   #6
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Okay, it wasn't "Shout", it was "Head over Heels"...
Old 08-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #7
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

A few I will eventually mention, but for now:

The Eagles, Hotel California.

Don't get me wrong. I love the song. It's just that after the last verse, the music goes on FOREVER. I just get bored with it and hit the "next song" button. It's great music, just too damn long. I have the attention span of a gnat and don't have

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Red face

While listening to Radio@Netscape, waiting for DAoC to finish updating, I heard Chicago, Hard to Say I'm Sorry. It's all Hoooooooooooold me now.... then, at the end, they just completely change the song and start jamming, cheesy horns and all, it's like a different song on the end of the song.... It's stupid.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

One that was slightly amusing the first time, and incrementally more and more annoying subsequent times, is the ending to Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good." It fades out, and then a voice says "Uh oh! Here comes a flock of wah-wahs!"

A number of human voices then proceed to make duck-like "wah-wah" sounds for a minute until it finally fades out.

Maybe it would be funnier if I was high.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think it is a safe bet that Joe and his pals were when the thing was made...
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #11
Torrere
a real smartass

It probably doesn't fit in this discussion, but the ending of Storm - Stormjunkie - Storm has long irritated me. The song is very cool in the beginning, middle... but then the end is boring and repetitive (basically, awful techno).

So I clipped a few minutes out of the mp3.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Hey Jude.

The endless refrain is a volcano in my brain.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:58 PM   #13
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
While listening to Radio@Netscape, waiting for DAoC to finish updating, I heard Chicago, Hard to Say I'm Sorry. It's all Hoooooooooooold me now.... then, at the end, they just completely change the song and start jamming, cheesy horns and all, it's like a different song on the end of the song.... It's stupid.
Ok - I have to say it - I love that song!!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:47 AM   #14
adny
stinky farty smelly

Revolting Cocks - Linger Ficken' Good - I like the song a lot except for the end. They REALLY could have done just fine without the 2-3 minute repetition of "It's a RevCo world."
That's the only one I can think of right now...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #15
breakingnews
Q_Q

Guns n Roses' "Don't Cry" bugs the shit out of me. The trilogy (Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged, for those uneducated few) is absolutely scarred by Axl Rose's stupid 30-second wail at the end of the song, which just don't fit in and, in my opinion, sounds pretty awful. My 7th grade rock mix was ruined because I ended up not putting the song on there since it sucked so much.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote