Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #6316
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Teflon Tape.
That.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #6317
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's mildly irritating you today?

Just killed the first brown recluse spider of the year.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #6318
glatt

Yep. Teflon tape did it. After I spent 45 minutes draining the system again and getting it apart.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:55 AM   #6319
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Heh heh, the fix is always the easy part.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #6320
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That, and hindsight.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #6321
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Just killed the first brown recluse spider of the year.
If you don't like spiders, esteemed Mr G, should you really be on the web?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #6322
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Groan

By the way, an estimated 27.5 million tons of spiders worldwide, eat 441 to 881 million tons of animal prey every year. Stick out your can, here come the garbage man.

Humans and whales each eat 400 million tons.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #6323
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
If you don't like spiders, esteemed Mr G, should you really be on the web?
Once he got here, he was hopelessly entangled.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #6324
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's mildly irritating you today?

Dem danged ol' Tarheels...

Old 04-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #6325
glatt

Apparently the child tax credit was reduced in 2016, so we owed $1k more in taxes this year.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #6326
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This one is irritation by proxy, an ongoing saga that's happening to my mother...

So my grandmother died about 7 years ago, and my mom has been managing the paperwork of my awful, inept step-grandfather ever since. (They were together for 30-plus years, but NO ONE ever liked him or considered him really a part of the family--he called my grandmother "lover" and is a supposedly-professional poet who has never been paid for his poetry but also never had any other job. Dude's a loser.) Why my mother feels the need to care for people just because no one else will is a whole separate issue. Bottom line, he's massively in debt, largely because he keeps getting suckered into old-person scams, all of which have to do with either tantric sex or stock-trading tips. For real.

ANYWAY. He'd gotten it into his head that he could do this weird home-equity-refinance-not-quite-a-reverse-mortgage-but-effectively-the-same deal that some advertiser sold him on. My mom's in favor of it because it gives him money for longer than he'll live, and nobody wants his trash condo, they can just repossess it when he dies and everyone's happy.

They'd gotten all the way to closing, then when they sent the final paperwork, my mom noticed that my grandmother's name is all over everything, about how she has to sign here and there to relinquish "her half" of the condo in this process.

She calls and tells them, "No, no, she's dead. It's all his."

Well, come to find out that's not the case. You see, she died without a will, meaning it didn't go to him, by default it got split evenly between her husband, and her children outside of the marriage, of which there are four. So my mother and her three brothers all own 1/8th of this stupid condo.

First, they have to issue a new title in the name of all five of them. Then they have to officially sign paperwork deeding their part to him. Then they have to issue a new title in his name. Then he can do this deal.

One sibling lives in California. The other is in Vietnam. All sibling signatures have to be wet, meaning actually signed and mailed. Oh, and the one in Vietnam is going to have to go to the American Embassy to find an American notary to make his pages official, at a cost of $100 per page. Twice. And they can't just say "fuck it," because if he dies, his half goes to some random fucking cousin of his in West Virginia, who may or may not still be alive at all, and if they decide to, say, open a meth lab in the place, my mom and uncles are potentially liable.

Don't die without a will, people. Even if you have no kids, no spouse--just get yourself a boilerplate will online, and name a charity as the recipient of everything. But don't die without a will. It's such a huge fucking hassle.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #6327
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
So my mother and her three brothers all own 1/8th of this stupid condo.
I don't understand how someone could be unaware they (even collectively) own a condo.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #6328
Clodfobble

She died with no will, they just assumed everything went to her husband.

And it would have, if he was their father--it goes down the chain. But he's not, and kids from a prior marriage are apparently on equal footing with a current spouse. Which also means if Mr. Clod died, for example, our house would by default belong half to my stepkids, not entirely to me. But he has a will.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #6329
Clodfobble

"Condo" also implies something much nicer than it is. People get shot in this neighborhood on a regular basis, and it is currently such a hoarder-nightmare that my mother won't enter the premises anymore, he has to meet her outside if he wants her help.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #6330
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Which also means if Mr. Clod died, for example, our house would by default belong half to my stepkids, not entirely to me. But he has a will.
Did you tell to make a damn will or you'd kill him? Oh, wait, that doesn't work, does it.

Tags
mild cheddar