The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Help Needed with Digital Photos

Ok so I finally have a digital camera
and I can use my USB cable with my PC at work, so I can see the pictures I've taken on screen.

Now I need to work out why they are so BIG!
Checking the size in Photo Editor, one example is 24.18 x 18.13 cm and 2.45MB.

Now I certainly didn't ask for a photo this size - is it something I am doing wrong?

I may be able to get help from a contact in my IT department (if I save some work photos!) but he is on holiday at the moment. Does anyone have any quick & easy advice?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
xker
Lead Subordinate

You can adjust the size and quality of pictures,just check the menu of camera,there must be options of this function.
xker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

My suggestion is you want to take the biggest size possible. You can always shrink it later, but you can't add resolution once you've taken a smaller image. Reasons you want a big image: 1. To get a good quality print out of it. Even a marginal print is 150 dots per inch compared to 80 or so for video display. And 300 is better. (This is why graphics printed from a web page usually look like crap. Most experienced web page designers will make the image the smallest size possible, which means they sacrifice resolution which is redundant on a computer monitor but critical for making a good image on paper.) 2. You want to be able to crop the image and still have something good to work with. If you take a 1280x1024 image and then you make a big crop, you don't have a lot left.

If you're really, really, really, sure in advance that you will never want to print out something, then go ahead and shoot at a lower resolution.

Also, YMMV, but in my experience you get better results with a memory card reader to let you take your memory card out of the camera & plug in to the computer rather than plugging in the camera.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I think most digital cameras have an option to change the size. But I wouldn't change it. You're going to want all those pixels if you decide to make prints from the digital pictures. Also sometimes you want to crop a picture. Having a lot of pixels guarantees that a cropped picture will still be detailed enough to look good - and be good enough to have prints made.

What you might do instead is to use a program to make smaller copies from the originals. Irfanview is free and well thought of for this sort of thing.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks for that! I can tell from the software that I have a lot of new terminology to learn.

Dare I risk it.......? Yep. Attached is a picture I have tried to reduce in size. I suspect it is still too large, but I'll carry on working on this either way.

BTW its a picture of a street in my current home town which I took to show the Victorian architecture above street level.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Grand Hotel/Subway juxtaposition makes for a very interesting photo.

I hadn't realized we'd inflicted substandard sandwiches on you folks.

On behalf of the United States of America, I apologize.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The Grand Hotel/Subway juxtaposition makes for a very interesting photo.

I hadn't realized we'd inflicted substandard sandwiches on you folks.

On behalf of the United States of America, I apologize.
Yes, but they got even with Arthur Treachers.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is England we are talking about, and let me reassure you that Subway is a very great step UP. Previously one would wander into a pub somewhere and have a "steak and kidney pie" or similarly foul thing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I understand that no actual Shepherds are used in the production of Shepherd's Pie.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Ah, yes. My sister in law, who is excessively proud of her british heritage, tries often to foist some sort of toad in hole or something on us. my family, who was raised in really good italian food and otherwise, is.................skeptical, when not being downright abusive.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I agree that when I first found Subway years ago it was a step up. Not as an alternative to the pub lunch, but because it was a sandwich shop where you got to choose your salad. Previously your choice was salad (lettuce, tomato & cucumber) or plain. Red onions? Green peppers? Revelation!

Who the heck is Arthur Treacher? My local chippie is run by a lovely man call Taj who also sells kebabs. I suspect his Southern Fried Chicken is about as authentic as Arthur's fish & chips

Am going to post more pics on the Cities thread now I have the hang of it. You can come & insult my national cuisine there
Old 10-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's tough love, like other countries pointing out that we in America are big fat fucks. We may be shamed into improvement.

Treacher's is a chain which corporatizes the idea of Fish n Chips and gets it not exactly right in the process. I haven't seen one in years though.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Does Subway vary their offerings by region? Like...do they offer a jellied eel on pumpernickel with cold pork and beans on the side?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Treacher's is a chain which corporatizes the idea of Fish n Chips and gets it not exactly right in the process. I haven't seen one in years though.
Arthur Treacher was British, but wasn't he Merv Griffin's Sidekick back when he had a talk show?

The chain is making a small comeback ... some of the KFC's now include an Arthur Treacher's ... kind of like the ones that are half KFC/half Taco Bell.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

There was another big chain back in the 70's, H. Salt Fish and Chips. I'm sure they, too, were utterly unlike anything in Britain, but I loved 'em.