The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #211
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sausage up the High Street
Sausage in a Cathedral
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #212
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Laughed so loud I woke up the cat. He was in the bedroom, I'm in the living room. Really.

Dude has his dangly bits damn near torn from his body. Where do they take him?

Ball Memorial Hospital of course.

via The Smoking Gun

Name:  Too Funny.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  145.6 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #213
dmg1969
I got nothing

Damn. I guess it is true what they say about a woman scorned! I have a question though. I seriously doubt if she could done that type of damage through clothes. That leads me to believe that he MAY have been "working at his computer" in a less than fully clothed manner. The article does not specify.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #214
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Correction: that's Ball Me Morial Hospital. That's what the sign says.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #215
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Ball'Me Mor'ial Hos'pit'al.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #216
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Okay, this is a WTF news item, and it's not a WTF news item.

Name:  a.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  149.1 KB
Name:  b.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  81.6 KB

Sure, you can't just go door to door handing out retired wardogs. But, just kill 'em? That seems extremely callous, especially when you take into account what these dogs did. No telling the lives that were saved by these dogs. No telling the things these dogs did for their handlers. If you use such a noble animal in such a way, the least you can do is let the poor thing live out his life. They should keep the dogs up for the rest of their lives.

I hope whoever had the final sayso on killing these dogs, lives a long, healthy, prosperous life. And when he/she does die, hopefully in their sleep, at 100+ yrs of age, I hope they get to heaven.

To find that God is a retired wardog.

Quote:
A concerned reader has created a petition to urge the British government to reconsider the euthanization of war dogs. Should you wish to sign it, you may do so here:

Ministry of Defense and David Cameron: Stop the killing of War Dogs

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #217
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If fighting pit bulls can be rehab'd (and, no, not all of them can be), I'd be willing to bet that the majority of these dogs wouldn't have to be killed.

They are trained to follow commands , after all.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #218
glatt

I don't know anything about training dogs, but I wouldn't want a dog that was trained to attack people to be living next door.

Maybe they could put them on a farm somewhere. With a tall fence. Patrol a base or something.

"Smithers, release the hounds."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #219
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm with Glatt here.
But if everyone signing the petition was willing to pay The Dog's Trust to support a war dog for life, then they could work out a way to stop this happening.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #220
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Also have to take into account that some of these dogs will be suffering from post traumatic stress. Not for a moment suggesting that dogs with pts can't be rehabilitated, but if it is manifesting in ways that make the dog dangerous and unapproachable, then adds further complications to an already fraught situation. Not to mention the suffering of the animal in the meantime.

I'd be interested to know how many have been rehoused. The dogs who've been put down may represent the most damaged and difficult cases. Given the nature of their work, that's likely to be quite a high proportion I'd imagine.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #221
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
With a tall fence. Patrol a base or something.
That's the sort of thing I was talking about. I wasn't suggesting they keep the retired wardogs down at the local daycare, or kindergarten playground.

Somewhere appropriate.

Also, people's taxes paid for these dogs and their training. The allocations should include providing for them after they've "served their usefulness".

Don't most of these type dogs actually have a rank? I know most police dogs do. They're treated as soldiers, while they're "useful", and like garbage, to be thrown away, when they're used up.

This has bothered me way more than I thought it would.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #222
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Also, people's taxes paid for these dogs and their training. The allocations should include providing for them after they've "served their usefulness".
Hang on, I thought all Americans were anti-tax to the extent that they don't even want to pay to educate other people's children?
But English tax-payers should pay for pensions for dogs?

ETA that was s'posed to be a joke but came off xenophobic and a bit nasty, sorry.

Last edited by Sundae; 04-12-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Yeah, soz
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #223
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

But we're also the people who donate thousands to repair anonymous broken doggehs. I would like to believe that this (the wardog problem) doesn't happen here, but, I'm sure we do the same thing.

Sadly enough.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #224
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

We donate ridiculous amounts to animal charities in the UK.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #225
Rhianne
Nearly done.

There's a shortage of donkeys.

They're a real money-spinner.

People are so keen to hand over cash to 'save' the cute little things that groups/charities/whatever are trying to import them and paying over the odds for any available. Some owners are getting several 'wanna sell your donkey' calls every week from these folk.

I like animals (well, most of them) but I wouldn't hand a penny over to 'save' one while there are still humans in the world going hungry.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote