The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #76
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

You are not alone in your opinions.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #77
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
Is it just me, or is henry an arrogant asshole?
I do not think that means what you think it means. If he was arrogant he'd post more often to establish his superiority. Asshole, could be.

but why are you resorting to name-calling at this point? It's a little out of character.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #78
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

monster, you are not alone in your posts. Never feel alone. Whenever you start to feel alone just make a post and I will be there to nod my head at whatever you post because I will agree with you, and I need you to know that and accept me because I know you know everything about everyone and I do too but I can only say it if someone else says it because I have to hide behind you because the world is big and cold and I'm frightened and alone and I hope that's OK with you because I weally wuv you and I want to have like ten thousand of your babies, awe, I mean AW, and please tell me who to like or not like next because this fence post is fucking killing my ass. Awe. Aw. Hee haw.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #79
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"an arrogant asshole"

All in the eye of the beholder.

#

"I truly have been ignoring him"

Do us both a favor: go back to doing that.

##

"You are not alone in your opinions"

I’m sure he's not.

Irrelevant to me.

##

IM: HA!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #80
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
Is it just me, or is henry an arrogant asshole?

I mean, it really could just be me..... I truly have been ignoring him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I do not think that means what you think it means. If he was arrogant he'd post more often to establish his superiority. Asshole, could be.

but why are you resorting to name-calling at this point? It's a little out of character.
monster, you're quarreling with jimhelm's use of "arrogant"? Arrogant doesn't have anything to do with the frequency or quantity of communication, but with the tone or attitude of such communication or actions.
Quote:
ar·ro·gant
   [ar-uh-guhnt]
adjective
making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.
I'd say these apply to the tone of his posts much of the time. He frequently extracts quotes from other posters and corrects them, sometimes he comments on them. I think arrogant is a fair description. I don't think asshole applies nearly as well however. Obviously the literal definition doesn't apply like arrogant does, but even the idiomatic use of "asshole" is a poor fit for his behavior, in my opinion. I don't see a pattern of meanness or callousness in his posts that would justify "asshole". It's a fine line though. He does seem impervious to input from others. I can only recall one instance where he changed his position, and he did so graciously.

In a somewhat different light, I double checked the definition of arrogant to make sure "it meant what I thought it meant" and the page listing the definition had a helpful "Matching Quote" (below). You've almost certainly heard or read the quote before, and the word "arrogant" was in bold in the quote, fine, fine. But I got a giggle from the attribution at the bottom of the quote.

Quote:
Matching Quote
"If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love."
-unknown author
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #81
infinite monkey

I'm sorry, that's awful merky of me.

Aweful.

There's a joke somewhere in here about the hilarity of a thread about tolerance full of intolerance, and posts about arrogance made by the arrogant. It sends shivers up and down my spine in its simplistic beauty. Youse guys are a hoooooooooooot.

*snickers*

Last edited by infinite monkey; 05-02-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: for want of a letter a post was lost
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #82
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What intolerance?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #83
infinite monkey

Oh, I'm not going to play your little semantics game.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on Cellar Candid Camera.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #84
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

IM,

Just *shrug* and let it go.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #85
infinite monkey

*shrug*

Last edited by infinite monkey; 05-02-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: extra essssssss
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #86
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

*shrug* (Yellow shirt shrugger)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #87
infinite monkey

That's better. A group shrug.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #88
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
GAH!! I just spit Sprite all over the living room.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #89
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Sorry, henry.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #90
monster
I hear them call the tide

Isn't this just how you picture him? I know the Brits can't help themselves.....

Name:  henry%20vac.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  25.0 KB

henry sucks