The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Oh, I'm sorry! I'm sorry I insulted your best friend in the whole universe! If you love her so much, why don't you marry her? Huh? Since you love her so much!

Copycat and Shockey-cat sittin' in a tree . . .
Thank You Maggie, I can't get the link to show up on my posts.

Flint, Bite Me!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon
Flint, Bite Me!
:::bites you::: mmmmmm causticlicious
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #18
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Time for sanctions.
No, wait! I'm sorry! . . .

. . . I'm sorry you looove Maggie so much!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Somehow I don't think the six million dead would have been impressed with your oh-so-principled holding out for a "solution to the root problem".

I hear people start talking about "root causes" when they want to deflect, delay or re-spin more direct action. You know: "Well, you need to look at the root causes here...allow me to sell you a long story about how my politics views the world, etc." Five minutes later you're getting some collectivist "moral equivalance" riff about how it's your fault somebody planted a bomb in your restaurant.

Nonsense.
I maybe wasn't being clear enough. What I meant was "Never again, but only as far as jews are concerned, everyone else who is being murdered is on their own." The root being: Let's get all in someone's face if they start a genocide, rather than, "Well that shit don't worry me because it's happening to someone else"

I agree with you about dithering politicians using double speak to say the aren't aware of "acts of genocide" What is an "act" of genocide? Is that like and "act" of fucking? That's not what I'm talking about, just the opposite. A greater accountability and not just action when it suits our oil or cash needs.

BTW the six million only accounted for jews. Let's not forget the homosexuals, catholics, gypsies, mentally retarded, politically oppositional, birth deformed, just to name a few million.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #20
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
Let's not forget the homosexuals..
By all means, let's not. Note pink triangle on Gwennie...my shirt was in the wash that day.
Attached Images

Last edited by MaggieL; 05-19-2006 at 09:17 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #21
MaggieL

Quote:
What I meant was "Never again, but only as far as jews are concerned, everyone else who is being murdered is on their own."
Their first priority is *self*-defense. which makes sense to me. If you fail to defend yourself, you won't be able to help anyone else. Who came to help the Jews when Hitler turned the ovens on?

Last edited by MaggieL; 05-19-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #22
marichiko

That's what I love about the Celler - the variety of people who post here. Like Wolf is the only pagan conservative I've encountered on line, never mind real life. Maggie is the only gay (transgered? bi-sexual?) republican I've met on line, IRL.

And UT wanted to ban me for losing my temper and posting all red caps? Oh, well. Rock on everybody!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That's the problem with *self*. It is a fairly limited concept. It has it's time and place, but it is largely over rated.

Many cultures don't put as high a premium on self as we do in the U.S. Selves make for good consumers. Selves can be threatened and can be encouraged to live in a state of fear.

I heard a person on the news recently objecting to being labeled a "consumer". She maintained that she was a citizen. A citizen is part of a larger social group. It is possible to put the concerns of the group ahead of the concerns of the self. Where we want to close that circle of group, choose who to exclude, is what allows us to create an easily exterminable "other".

If my mission statement doesn't include coming to the aid of others in distress, why would I be likely to add that paragraph when the brownshirts come marching down my block to grab my neighbor, whose dog craps all over my lawn?

Maybe I'm rambling a bit, I don't mean to be contentious but I don't recall saying let's hold out for a more principled solution to the problem.

I'm pretty much at the end of my patience with terrorists/carbombers etc. If nuking them would solve anything I'd be all for it. But it wouldn't solve a thing.

As they say, fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:45 AM   #24
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Maggie is the only gay (transgered? bi-sexual?) republican I've met on line, IRL.
I'm more libertarian than Republican. And as long as we're label-mongering I'm both bisexual and transsexual.

And an aside...where I come from, "IRL" is an abbreviation for "in real life", which seems the opposite of what you intended....did you perhaps mean IIRC ("if I recall correctly")?

Old 05-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #25
MaggieL

Quote:
That's the problem with *self*. It is a fairly limited concept. It has it's time and place, but it is largely over rated.
Can't agree with you there..."self" plays a huge role in the conceptual framework of any self-aware being--for obvious reasons.

Trying to sell the idea that self-interest is bad is the memetic tool of collectivists, who wish to gain control over your personal power and direct it to thier own ends.

"Never again" is the fervent slogan adopted by the Jews in support of their own self-defense in memory of what happened when they neglected it. Criticism of it for not including others strikes me as "holding out for a more principled stand". I just think they have a very focused primary goal, and for good reason.

Oh, by the way...check the other thread on the original topic for a post from UT pointing out that the original story about Iranian law now appears to be questionable.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
snip~
And UT wanted to ban me for losing my temper and posting all red caps? Oh, well. Rock on everybody!
No, for acting like an ass and deserving a grapefruit in the face. Remember you have not been vindicated, only reprieved.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #27
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
No, for acting like an ass and deserving a grapefruit in the face. Remember you have not been vindicated, only reprieved.
Well, I think I got SEVERAL grapefruits in the face. I apologized for posting in all red caps. That was rude. What was done to me was rather rude, as well. I don't expect vindication. And I actually don't beleive I'm all that long for the Cellar. But that's life.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #28
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
I'm more libertarian than Republican. And as long as we're label-mongering I'm both bisexual and transsexual.

And an aside...where I come from, "IRL" is an abbreviation for "in real life", which seems the opposite of what you intended....did you perhaps mean IIRC ("if I recall correctly")?
That WAS at typo. I meant "on line OR in real life."

I don't mean to label ANYONE. I know and am friends with several bi-sexual and transgendered folks. They call themselves that. I call myself "staight." The only label that matters is "human being" which we all are. No offense intended.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #29
MaggieL

Quote:
The only label that matters is "human being" which we all are. No offense intended.
None taken. I wasn't bristling as much as it may have looked like in raw text.

Transsexual is pretty much a matter of fact in my case; not subject to dispute...and being bisexual is kind of a blast, once you figure out that's what you are. As Ellen said, "There's twice as many rides at Bi-Land".

It's really only a headache when dealing with monosexuals (of both flavors) who don't seem to be able to grok, and want to explain to you that you're wrong. ;-)
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm stealing that 'toon.