The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #421
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Steve, I recommend used bikes over $99 rubbish from cheapo-mart. The latter will probably fall to bits within a year, probably while you are doing 30 mph down a hill. In six months, it will be a "used" bike anyway, just a used crap bike not a used good bike.

A decent second hand bike, 2-3 years old, for slightly more money, would be much wiser. The tricky things like gears and such might be better if new, but the (new) cheapo bikes will probably have old-style equipment anyway. 3 year old gears should be fine.

Beware cheapo suspension - not sure if you want it. Proper suspension uses gas dampers and springs, like in a car. Cheapo just has springs which cause bouncing which makes control harder, not easier. They just give the appearance of having cool suspension.

I have a few friends who are serious mountain bikers. When looking over a bike, the first thing they check is the brakes. Calipers are poor - disc brakes indicate quality. Easiest way to sort serious bikes from poser toys.

Is your son still growing? (God I hope so, since you said he is only 5 inches tall ... ) He might need to upsize his bike every year or two. No point splurging on a new bike.

[worrywart] Buy a good helmet for him, force him to wear it. Pain fades, bones heal, chicks dig scars ... but brain damage lasts forever. [/ww]
I concur. I just brought home a bike for Pete my buddy built for his kid using a nice aluminum mtn frame and quality components he bought or had lying around. He took too long building the bike and his kid is now like 6'2" so an 18" frame wasn't going to work long term for him. Get good used if you can.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #422
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I bit the bullet and got a bike! $95 used from Volpe Cycles in Philadelphia. If he's half as good as the glowing reviews on Yelp, things should be good. (I just put half down on Saturday; he's going to adjust & tune up everything. I'll have time to go back and get it this weekend.)

It's a Raleigh Eclipse with a new gear system. It has the thumb-operated trigger shifters, which I really liked when I had tried them on a new bike. The wheels and brakes seem to be in good shape, as far as I can tell.
Attached Images

SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #423
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

The last time I got my bike tuned up it cost more than that. That seems like a great deal.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #424
Griff
still says videotape

I finally got to ride again post pneumonia. The weather was unseasonably warm on Christmas Day, so I rode what remains of my home mountain biking loop. There was a lot of carrying since some sections are thick with falls but I was out for over an hour with no ill effects. Its about 34 degrees here now, so I'm gonna try to get out before the snow.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #425
Griff
still says videotape

Merlin and I got out again today. I cut a lot of trail and am within 50 or 60 yards of closing my main loop. I added some nice terrain and Merlin took the time to mark the new sections so we'll be able to do them in the dark.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #426
HungLikeJesus

It was really warm down in Denver yesterday (but windy). I saw a lot of people out on bikes.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #427
Griff
still says videotape

Its crazy warm here as well 44° F. Pete did a road ride too.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #428
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It was over 60 here today.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #429
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

49.3 F, at 6pm, on New Years Eve... amazing.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #430
Griff
still says videotape

It is getting back to seasonal temps today, 31F. I did finish my loop yesterday so next chance I get I can ride the whole thing.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #431
Griff
still says videotape

I rode from dusk to dark last night. My lungs were wheezing pretty good at the top of the light-line climb but I am alive.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #432
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I rode from dusk to dark last night. My lungs were wheezing pretty good at the top of the light-line climb but I am alive.
and what doesn't killl you....

Are you riding in cold temps ?
Sometimes even walking gets my wheezing started.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #433
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
and what doesn't killl you....
Kills your knees.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #434
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Tomorrow you shall ride with Jurgen in the garden between dawn and sunrise.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #435
Griff
still says videotape

...a wonderful garden: yet nothing therein was strange.