The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Customer Service

It seems to me that American businesses, including manufacturing, health care, utilities, and government have gone to great lengths to simply eliminate accomplishing anything by phoning or emailing them.
"Please listen carefully to this menu..."
That means "We have carefully redesigned it so that you will not be able to talk to the person you want."
"If you are a consumer calling about warranty or service questions, please press or say three."
This means "We can't sell you something new so prepare to listen to this shitty music until your phone battery goes dead."

The newest trick sounds good.
"You are number 17 in line to talk to a real person. If you do not feel like waiting we will call you back when you reach number one.
Then you push a bunch of buttons only to find out that your call back maybe two days away.
What they are saying is that we don't feel like hiring enough staff to deal with your stupid problem, so we will talk to you at our convenience. Too bad if you are on the freeway when that time comes. Oh yeah we told you to have your model and serial number available.

There must be an industry specializing in this well thought out runaround.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
There must be an industry specializing in this well thought out runaround.
Yes, it's called customer service.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

When a company is run by people who come from where the work gets done, then they periodically test to see if their 'attitude and knowledge' is getting to the employees. They call in just like any other customer.

Top executives at successful companies periodically go out to do the work themselves. I was later told by the lady who had my route; the President of FedEx had previously delivered packages in my neighborhood.

Last edited by tw; 09-20-2019 at 07:32 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There is huge costs and no profit in customer service. Now the push seems to be all you people bitching talk to each other and figure it out.

I was very surprised, I bought a cheap travel alarm clock for an upcoming trip. Light, compact, simple to operate, runs on two AAA cells, perfect except I had to put in my hearing aid to even hear the alarm at all. It wouldn't wake anyone who was really asleep. Maybe those people who awaken early and wait for the alarm to get up.

So there's a card that says if there's a problem contact their website not Amazon. OK, I'll play that game, so I go to the website and it asks if I got it on Amazon or somewhere else. I click Amazon and it asks the purchase number and the problem. I leave the info and today I get a very polite email asking for further clarification of the problem and she said if the can't figure out a fix they'll send me a new one, no need to return the defective one.

I thought that was real customer service for a $10 alarm clock. No, really $10, that's all.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
tw

Does she still have a job?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

My most recent encounter was with the Moen faucet folks.
About a year ago I had trouble with a kitchen faucet, lifetime warranty.
Bought a cartridge that didn't solve the problem, called Moen. short wait and the guy talked me into letting them send another new one free.
Crapped out last week and a call gave me the option of callback in two or three days a or hanging up.

Bought a new faucet, a $90 "Oakbrook," a piece of crap.
Damn, crawling under the sink is tougher than it used to be.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Does she still have a job?
I guess so, she sent me an email this morning saying they're sending a replacement by express and I should have it in two days.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
tw

Quote:
About a year ago I had trouble with a kitchen faucet, lifetime warranty.
Bought a cartridge that didn't solve the problem, called Moen. short wait and the guy talked me into letting them send another new one free.
Crapped out last week ...
I have never seen a Moen that was not fixed by replacing that cartridge. Or cleaning debris that is filtered out by the aerator. Moen uses a same cartridge for everything. Making Moens so easy to fix.

Many faucets are so hard to get parts for each unique design that is it usually just easier to scrap it.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Someone emailed me this image.
Name:  snapdragon.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  28.6 KB

My Gmail account puts up a line for each email saying who sent it the the first few words of the text, standard stuff.
This email that line said who it was from then "Image may contain: text that says 'Just wanted you to know I have entered the snapdragon part of my life. Part of me has snapped... And the rest of me is draggin...'"

First time I'd seen that sort of message. Of course they read all the emails to sort out spam... and add information to my dossier. I wasn't aware they were reading text in the images, they never mentioned it before. I guess they are preventing scammers and spammers from sneaking things by them by making it an image. Yeah that's it... they're doing to to protect me, everything they do, no matter how creepy, is in my best interest.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Yes. I have noticed lately the commercials are showing motorcycle helmets, new bikes and new Chevy's. I bought 3 helmets off of Wish and first thing I noticed was the ads for new Goldwings and electric Harley's. The vehicles I have were bought used. Down here a car with 200,000 miles is just broke in.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:33 PM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Then you push a bunch of buttons only to find out that your call back maybe two days away.

Fuck those fucking fuckers.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote