The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #196
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

They do happen whether you see them or not.
They may be accurate, but I will question anything that comes from an anti-gun site before I see the original source of the statistic from the CDC. There is motive from these people to show you factoids that have been altered and doctored to show what they want you to see just to bolster their message.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #197
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-25-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #198
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichv.org
FACT:In 2004 (the most recent year for which data is available), there were 29,569 gun deaths in the U.S:

16,750 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths),
11,624 homicides (40% of all U.S gun deaths),
649 unintentional shootings, 311 from legal intervention and 235 from undetermined intent (4% of all U.S gun deaths combined).
-Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2007.
http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

They do happen whether you see them or not.
To look at these figures, it seems like we need to balance US suicide figures against those of others where violence is "less rampant." Do you really think that suicides will cease to happen if guns aren't available, or (more likely) that people will just find another way?

It frustrates me that there isn't a further breakdown on how the guns were used: drug related crime, B&Es/robbery, crimes of passion, organized crime, etc. Really, that tells a lot more of a story to me than a black and white total number. I don't live in the hood but I don't live in a gated community either; I think I live the way most Americans do, and I think my chances are ridiculously small of ever seeing any kind of firearm violence. I'm not afraid!
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #199
Cloud

Wow. if you look carefully at that list, you will see one of the "foiled" plots refers to an incident yesterday, in which a kid text-messaged his intention to beat Cho's record.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #200
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

You said you haven't seen any guns used or heard of any making it seem like you are implying that gun violence doesn't happen and I gave you stats providing how many people have died from firearms in 2004. I have never said anything about banning guns on any thread in the past few days so I don't know where that question about suicide came from.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #201
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

and I hate to say 'it's not guns that kill people, it's people who kill people' there is a basic flaw in society. I own guns, however I have never shot anyone (although I must admit there are a couple I would have liked to.. but I'm not going to, besides that..and another thing I hate to agree with.. once you outlaw guns only the outlaws (criminals) will have guns. and personally, if someone comes guning for someone I love.. I want to be able to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. (and for the record, I think handguns are for cowards.. if you're going to take someones life, I think one ought to do it face to face, with a knife/sword/big stick it's personal.. and that ought to stick with you for the rest of your life.. that's a life you are taking! taking!... not press a button/pull a trigger and it's done... that is another human being!..however society being what it is.. my views are outmoded if not archaic, so.. I must adapt and survive.)
Old 04-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #202
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

More people died from poisoning than from firearms in 2004.

During 1979--2004, the three leading causes of injury death in the United States were motor-vehicle traffic, firearm, and poisoning (including drug overdose). In 2004, for the first time since 1968, when such data first became available, the number of reported poisoning deaths (30,308) and the age-adjusted poisoning death rate (10.3 per 1000,000 population) exceeded the number of firearm deaths (29,569) and the firearm death rate (10.0), respectively. During 1999--2004, the poisoning death rate increased 45%, whereas the firearm death rate declined 3%; during the same period, no change occurred in the rate (14.7) for motor-vehicle traffic deaths.

SOURCE: Mortality data from the National Vital Statistics Systems. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/deaths.htm.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5550a6.htm
Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #203
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

What the hell is that suppose to prove? Whether or not 100,000 or 2 people have died from poisoning, it doesn’t change the fact that 12,000 people have died from homicide in 2004. I have never compared firearm deaths to any other death statistics because I don't think it is a contest, they are all horrible and we should be working to prevent deaths in every field. If you are honestly using this to back up a pro-gun view, I highly suggest looking at yourself and what you stand for.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #204
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Oh God these stats are cracking me up. I'm so amazed I might shoot someone.

You know what? In 2002 less people died being beat with a beverage straw than were killed by being held under water for 2 hours.

Fascinating stuff.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #205
freshnesschronic
Professor

What is everyone arguing about I can't tell anymore.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #206
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I knew it.

This guy was made fun of throughout high school for his korean accent. He would answer a question, then would be made fun of, then he would hang his head in silence (just heard it on the news, it should pop up later). This is caused by some fucking tools that think they are better than everyone else and will not accept other people.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #207
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
What is everyone arguing about I can't tell anymore.
Gun deaths and rights.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #208
freshnesschronic
Professor

That's weird. One of my close friends came to the USA from S. Korea 10 years ago at the age of 10 and it is very hard to detect an accent at all if you're not a close friend and listening for it. This guy shouldn't even have an accent after he's been in the states for 15 years at age 8.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #209
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If everyone made fun of through high school took up arms the roads would be red with blood.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #210
Ibby
erika

NOBODY gets out scot-free. And not everyone goes postal about it either. Blame the sick, broken mind of the kid, not his fellow students. School bullying is bad, but not the cause of mass murder.