The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 07-28-2001, 10:05 PM   #31
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

done!

We are linked and logoed. Downwards of 40 trillion people who are patient enough to let the html teams list load and bored enough to see number 199 can now visit The Cellar. And there was much rejoicing.

And lo, Steve's post started a third page in the thread which he began on the idea which was entirely his. And there was much rejoicing.

And winter came. It was cold and there was little food, and they were forced to eat Sir Robin's Minstrels. And there was much rejoicing.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 12:04 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thanks man. But now we're at 198...!

The other thing with getting another link is that it improves the Cellar's standing with Google. One of Google's main criteria for higher listing is how many other sites link to you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 05:35 AM   #33
jaguar
whig

I *thought* someone wasflying up the team stats, i guess a quad xeon woudl do that =)
Whats the use for that box? I assume some kind of chunky server.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:27 AM   #34
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
I *thought* someone wasflying up the team stats, i guess a quad xeon woudl do that =)
Whats the use for that box? I assume some kind of chunky server.
Well, that's the plan, but it's not needed for that for a short while. It was given to us as agreed upon payment for services rendered from a client/company whose opinion of what they owed us disagreed with our opinion... The box was a good compromise.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 05:18 AM   #35
jaguar
whig

god that reminds me of the 'webdesign' firm consiting of two people in their spare room i did some work for about a year ago, they hadne't got the $ so they gave me a powerdrill...i didn't know whether to laugh or cry...

i'm wondering what kind of firm has a quad xeon server lieing around but is too stingy/small jsut pay you...I mena its not exactly your average spare workstation.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:05 AM   #36
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
I'm wondering what kind of firm has a quad xeon server lieing around but is too stingy/small jsut pay you...I mena its not exactly your average spare workstation.
Oh, I wouldn't say that they were "stingy" or small. There was a disagreement as to whether the work was part of "contracted work" or something that we'd agreed to work on in a "partnership" sort of arrangement. We thought it was the former and they thought it was the latter.

When we looked back over the documents, we both acknowledged that it was a bit vague where this particular work fell. So, we decided to accept the machine in lieu of payment and, this way, both sides are happy.

The machine in question, BTW is a quad 550MHz Xenon with 1GB of ram and 4 - 9G SCSI drives in a RAID-5 configuration. Pretty nice, though I wish the Xenons were clocked a bit faster.

The reason that they had one sitting around is that they are (well, were) a hardware manufacturer and 550's are pretty slow compared to what they actually USE these days.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:58 AM   #37
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So how many copies of the client are you running?
Old 07-31-2001, 01:18 AM   #38
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
So how many copies of the client are you running?
I was running 4 -- 1 per processor. Since each uses 100% of the processor, I figured it would maximize my throughput. Unfortunately, someone rebooted the system yesterday. I will restart the processes when I go in to work later this AM.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:26 AM   #39
jaguar
whig

Anyone running this behind a proxy?
The school i do a course thingy at's comptuer are stupid enough to let you install stuff - i wanna get it running under my name on the whole lab, but i can't get it though the proxy. I said yes to firewall, set the prot to 80 and put inthe name of the proxy but it cna't get though, any ideas out there? 25 PIII-800s would probably help the great cause.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:30 AM   #40
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Anyone running this behind a proxy?
The school i do a course thingy at's comptuer are stupid enough to let you install stuff - i wanna get it running under my name on the whole lab, but i can't get it though the proxy. I said yes to firewall, set the prot to 80 and put inthe name of the proxy but it cna't get though, any ideas out there? 25 PIII-800s would probably help the great cause.
It's very simple... don't install the client on any computer you don't own. At best, it's rude. At worst, it's theft. Eventually, the BOFH will discover that someone is using up 100% of the CPU time on all the computers in the lab. And then he will be angry.

Of course, he should do a better job of locking down his network, shouldn't he? The BOFH who's too stupid to prevent his lusers from installing unwanted software isn't really worthy of the title; he deserves whatever he gets. But that's another issue.

Just don't do it. It's bad form.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:47 PM   #41
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

And if that's not enough to persuade you that it's a bad idea, look up "David McOwen," "RC5" and "Georgia" in your favorite search engine.

jeff. road to hell, good intentions, paving work.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 02:02 PM   #42
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

But jag could just ASK them if they would let it run. One of the really nice things about this particular distributed computing project is that there's no for-profit company on the other end of it; it's all pure research.

Old 08-03-2001, 02:53 AM   #43
jaguar
whig

I know the admin (he let me install a few things for when we had to do webdesign work which i considered essential - photoshop and flash) so its cool by him, and geonome@home is done so it dosen't take cycles from any other program, just uses the unused ones so it has zero effect on useability of the computer. Yes the admin ain't too bright, i don't think he set up their backend, its too well done (you don't even need a user/pass to log into any of the normal box's yet every port but 80 and 443 are blocked, and the firewall runs bsd i think. So hes ok with it its just a matter of getting it though their proxy system, its an odd setup, i tried to copy the setting from ie (which are wide open too...), it seems you connect to one proxy, which then lets you though to a second, but i couldn't get it to work...and yes i've heard of that case with that guy shoving seti@home.....crazy
The end boxs are totally insecure, it seems every suer (including jsut hitting esc at the NT logon give you superuser priliges, its crazy, but hey its a girls school, not exact 1337 hax0r land like my school where you can't do *anything* to the computers, including access any folder but temp....
Old 08-26-2001, 09:27 AM   #44
smed
Sir Smed to you.

Exclamation Re: Genome@home

Quote:
Again, the site is genomeathome.stanford.edu, the team is TeamCellar, the team id # is 1177597296. Get to processing, and maybe some day the Cellar will be up in lights.

Steve [/b]
yech!! Is that 'Visual Basic' code this is referring to?
Anywho - I can't seem to get to this link at Standford......I think it's down. Anyone know anything about this?

Also....since I'm a latecomer to this thread...how is the team doing?
Please advise.

smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 09:46 AM   #45
smed
Sir Smed to you.

G@H screwup.....

My bad.....
I'm just getting used to the layout here in the_Cellar.

I guess the whole project is done and over? I need to read the rest of these posts.
Disregard any previous mumblings.
thanks -

smed is offline   Reply With Quote