The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #4336
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
it's pretty fucking low cost. It gives an enormous amount of reward and validation for a very small investment and acts as a kind of social currency which boosts morale and self-confidence.
Fair enough, what is the emotional cost for that?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #4337
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Very much depends. If what is being spent is (to pick a random figure) £10 p/month. Then by saving that money it would take roughly 12.5 years to save up the deposit on a low level rented property in that part of the UK.

I think the emotional cost of living like a monk for 12.5 years would outweigh that of the alternative.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #4338
monster
I hear them call the tide

but if said morale and self confidence is being wiped out at "home"..... And, whilst cost/enjoyment is low. cost/income not so much. Of course it's a tough call.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #4339
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think that's my point really Monster. Sometimes you do have to live in the now and find some enjoyment in life. It's all a question of balance.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #4340
monster

It's not balance though, if at the expense of the future. Here, this tomato missed. want it back for another shot? Also sometimes it's hard to realize how much stuff that seems incidental actually costs until someone questions it. Both in terms of money and in soul-draining emotions.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4341
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mum irritates me sometimes. I vent here. Often just after it happens.
Am I still irritated about yesterday? Of course not. I will tell my bro next time I see him and we will laugh together. Like do about Dad not being allowed to be naked in his own bedroom in case it upsets Edie (the neighbour we back onto). Who is and always has been far too far away to spot a bit of Robinson winky unless she has a telescope set up purely for that purpose.

Making cakes is not an expensive hobby. It is one I will have to give up when my parents move and I'm on my own. But then I'll have to give up pretty much everything else too. If I saved £10 a month now (and I don't even think I spend that) it would be gone in the first month anyway.

The amount of sheer goodwill and kindness I receive in return is wonderful.
Mum has paid my prescription charges today because I made the cake for her. Even though she'd already bought all the fresh ingredients (I had the dried ones to hand). She is proud of me and will sing my praises tonight.

We'll always have a conflicted relationship. We'll still run eachother up the wrong way living apart.

In the mean time, people I don't work with directly at school know me and talk to me.
They stop me in the corridor. I feel part of a community.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #4342
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

SAVE YOUR MONEY GODDAMMIT!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #4343
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh shush.
I wasn't asking advice about money. I wasn't asking advice full stop.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #4344
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Whoops,sorry. Just a reflexive impulse to support the underdog, what with all the rotten tomatoes flying.

I believe giving to others is a good investment, an investment in them, and as an investment in myself. It feels good making and giving stuff, though there is some cost involved. The reward (dare I say ROI) I get is well worth the cost and effort. It's no exaggeration to say giving gifts and service has saved my life. That's worth something, that's worth a LOT. You clearly enjoy it, and the cost sounds well within reason. I withdraw my earlier remark. Spend the goddamn money.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #4345
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I forgot my damn House keys this morning ,
only mildly irritating as im sitting on the front porch ( dont ya Just Lurv wireless routers ) , nice breeze , blue skys , i have cold drinks left in my lunch cooler , wife should be home in 45 minets or so ,
it could be worse
Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #4346
monster

Just had the word "slant" disallowed as obscene in annagrammania. WTF?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #4347
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Let me guess. You're playing the PC version, right?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #4348
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My laundry room is a wind tunnel.

Okay, backup: there's been this weird gray patch in the linoleum behind the upstairs bathroom toilet, and we finally realized that it's bigger than it used to be, and felt kind of squishy to the touch. Rip up the linoleum, and yep, the wax ring had degenerated, sprung a teeeeeeeny leak, and over the last year it's been seeping and growing mold underneath there. Joy.

The mold is through the floor and subfloor, so Mr. Clod removes the toilet, scrapes up the rest of the linoleum, and makes a big cutout in the floor for replacement. As he's trying to expose the joists so his drop-in piece will have something to actually sit on, his power saw nicks a pipe.

I am notified of this development when he starts screaming, in a way I have never heard him scream before, "Turn off the water! Turn off the water to the house!"

Water is steadily streaming out of several vents and light fixtures downstairs before I manage this. We get a plumber out to repair the pipe, and place the garage boxfan face-down into the hole to dry it out. But there are still very large watermarks in the ceiling, which are damp to the touch, and the laundry room reeks of mildew.

So a friend offers to lend us his "blower" to help us dry it from the bottom up as well. Turns out this item is full-on professional grade, a giant cylinder that can rotate at any angle, like the bat signal spotlight. It's in there, and it's working, but my tiny little laundry room is a wind tunnel.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #4349
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Wow clod - i do feel your pain. I myself have survived afew basement lakes. Very suxy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #4350
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Basement lakes are level one bad.

Ceiling swamps are level three bad.

Ceiling swamps being fed by electrical fixture springs are level six bad.

Good luck, tha's pretty awful.

Tags
mild cheddar