The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-23-2002, 07:10 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Bummer... Strummer Dead

Joe Strummer is dead.

Yahoo News says he was 50. Man, I'm getting old. I understand they were not that happy with Combat Rock being such a huge commercial success but they gave a lot of us hope that pop music doesn't have to suck. Anyway, I've got London Calling on vinyl here somewhere. Its been too long.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: Bummer... Strummer Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Joe Strummer is dead.

Yahoo News says he was 50. Man, I'm getting old. I understand they were not that happy with Combat Rock being such a huge commercial success but they gave a lot of us hope that pop music doesn't have to suck. Anyway, I've got London Calling on vinyl here somewhere. Its been too long.
Dear GOD!!! I had no idea! I was wondering why MTV2 was playing a bunch of old Clash videos earlier today. Oh no!!!!! Unbelievable! Sad day indeed.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:36 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

I knew I liked LadySyc. I down loaded Global A Go Go yesterday, pretty good stuff, but not ground breaking. I didn't realize he had done anything since the breakup.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:55 AM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I knew I liked LadySyc.
Everyone likes Rho...she's so congenial that it makes me sick.

Joe did the soundtrack for the movie Permanent Record, IIRC. MTV's 120 Minutes used to play the video for a song from it called "Trash City." What an incredible loss to the music world. I just hope it wasn't drug-induced a la John Entwhistle.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 11:42 AM   #5
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

The voice of Joe Strummer is still alive and very much with us. Thanks for the credit to the soundrack, most thoughtfull of you Syc.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:58 PM   #6
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Thumbs up

Quote:
I knew I liked LadySyc.
Aw thanks! I try...heh!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Man-

Joe Strummer was the best babysitter I ever had. R.I.P. my brother. I miss the old days and will only remember the good times we shared together in that house next door. Someday we will be together again inside of that great big house next door in the sky.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

if the official mourning period is over...

What were Joe Strummers last words?
Old 01-05-2003, 06:11 AM   #9
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Re: if the official mourning period is over...

Quote:
What were Joe Strummers last words?
Which came first? Joe, or the stage and MTV performer? And who is to blame for the deception? Certainly not my good friend, the "performer". I feel so sorry for anyone else who had to endure such an uncanny stress that others would take for granted. I don't believe that I could wear those shoes very easily and NOT go insane from the shock of the reality. These performers do deserve much credit for their side of the productions. R.I.P., J035TRUMM3R
Old 01-05-2003, 10:42 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Answer: Oh my corazon!