The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #1546
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A movie of the Graveyard Book could go either way ... could be really cool, could be sort of lame, like Neverwhere. But I doubt that the BBC would get the contract to make the movie, so that makes good to awesome more of a possibility.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #1547
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Did you like Coraline? I didn't see the movie but I want to. The book was good. I liked the Graveyard Book a bit better, though.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #1548
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Haven't read Coraline. Probably will get around to it eventually.

I'm reading Conspiracy - Gary North

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #1549
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
ooooooooo- I loved the Graveyard Book! Hope it's made into a movie!
Someone is asking for a spanking!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #1550
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.

I was looking for a book to take to my day at the pool yesterday, and found this one in Wally World.

I think the writing is lovely and the emotion real, not sentimental. I've only just started into Chapter Two (I guess it's really not a chapter per se as it is a series of stories that tie in somehow with the Olive Kitteridge) but so far I really like it.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #1551
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Second Spring - Maoshing Ni

Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #1552
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I have a couple of brands in the fire right now, Marcus Aurelius "Thoughts of the Emperor"....I really, really like this guy.

I'm also reading "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells.

I read more on deployments.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #1553
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

The Darkest Evening Of The Year by Dean Koonz

I love his positives and his prose but I didn't like anything else about this book.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #1554
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I believe Neil Jordan has already signed on to direct the film version of The Graveyard Book, so it's on its way!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #1555
monster
I hear them call the tide

crap by crappy author, -decadence

Statue of Limitations by Tamar Myers

it's ok. it's mindless which is my main criteria right now
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #1556
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Garden of Beasts - Jeffrey Deaver

Meant to keep me entertained during the plane ride. Worked most of the time, except for when the dude in the row ahead of me projectile vomited and apparently didn't know enough to grab the air-sickness bag. Of course, they don't label them as to purpose any more, so perhaps dumbass thought it was some kind of trash bag or something.

Worst thing in the world, puke on a plane. The rest of the flight is a challenge for everyone else to keep from chain-hurling.

So, anyway, the book is set in pre-WWII Germany, at the time of the Berlin Olympics. There is a moderate amount of intrigue, some Stormtrooper bashing, and a really, really thin plot that gets twisted out of all recognition in the last 75 pages or so.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #1557
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

I'm only a chapter into it, but I'm finding it captivating. I would like to hear a Vietnam Vet's perspective on it, though ... it reads like the stories my late friend told, so it feels like it touches truth.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #1558
Alibar
Jotter of Notes

Why We Make Mistakes, Joseph Hallinan. How we look without seeing, forget things in seconds, and are all pretty sure we are way above average.

Well written and fun information....
Alibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #1559
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Sari Shop Widow - Shobhan Bantwal
Free Kindle download, has romance-ish aspects to it, but it's more of a slice-of-Indian-immigrant-and-first-generation-offspring-life in New Jersey. It was interesting, but not a book that I would ever have picked up otherwise. I'd be interesting in knowing what someone Indian thinks of it. The writing wasn't the greatest, a bit wooden, but the story kept moving along okay.

Her two previous novels look interesting, both set in India dealing with culture bound issues like arranged marriages and birthing girl-children. I might read those eventually.

House Unauthorized: Vasculitis, Clinic Duty & Bad Bedside Manner - Leah Wilson, editor.
Nowhere near as interesting as House and Philosophy. No real insights or revelations offered.

The Brass Bed - Jennifer Stevenson
Free Kindle download that was SO awful I abandoned it after chapter 3. Surprised I made it that far. Please remember that I have a type of literary OCD that requires me to finish any book I start. Apparently I have an awfulness threshold that this book crossed.

Hostile Intent - Michael Walsh
Yet another Free Kindle Download. This one is pretty good ... adventure/thriller, starts off with a bang, peopled with the kind of darkly mysterious guys that know like two dozen ways to kill you with a credit card.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #1560
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Currently I am listening to the audiobook Dead until Dark (the first of the Southern Vampire Mysteries. I am very impressed. Very entertaining stuff.

I am also reading Oeconomy and Discipline, which is a detailed appraisal of the British army in the eighteenth century. It's fascinating. Very well written and very informative.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books