The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-30-2004, 04:49 AM   #301
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

i know the color is messed up but still , DAMN !!!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #302
hollyoake
The world has changed and i'm still in my underwear!

i didn't see that with joshua...
hollyoake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #303
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
OK well you've all seen this right? maybe not in person. I think a bunch of the cameras work.

http://www.onthepage.org/cars/candid_cameravan.htm
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #304
jinx
Come on, cat.

A French lesson.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:35 PM   #305
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This is about the only reasonable thing that I can think of to do with old Polaroids and 126 Instamatics....
Old 11-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #306
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
A French lesson.
What's the French word for Onanism?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 PM   #307
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyoake
i didn't see that with joshua...
Does this remind anyone besides me of "The Prisoner"? You know...when the big bouncy white ball catches people?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #308
Nothing But Net
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
A French lesson.
Funny, there was no mention of hairy palms in there. At 14 I was mainlining Nair.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #309
404Error
Lecturer

This is just plain strange, a flying lawnmower?
Old 11-02-2004, 10:28 PM   #310
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Whoa. Thanks, 404 -- that is extremely awesome! Had me wondering on how they pulled it off, so I dug up this picture of a similar craft.

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:20 AM   #311
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My friend's dad built his own lawnmower. I don't recall it every flying (intentionally), but it had it's own charm. No photos survive. They may have lost a dog and some squirrels to it also.

We fondly called it the Killer Baby Carriage™.

It was built on a piece of plywood that had baby carriage wheels attached to it.

The lawnmower blade was mounted below the plywood. The blade was powered by what legend held was a washing machine motor, but we later learned was an 18" attic fan motor. We figured this out when the attic fan did not work and we went checking to see why. The blade was regularly honed to razor sharpness.

Power was supplied to the motor by a series of household (not heavy duty) extension cords. They were not plugged into each other. Rather they were spliced together. For the most part. There was one plug connection on it, which we shall address later.

A handle from an actual electric lawnmower was bolted to the plywood. There was an on-off switch on the handle. This switch was not connected to anything, but would have been too much trouble to remove, or even wrap some duct tape around to conceal it. If you didn't know that this switch didn't do anything, you shouldn't be operating the Killer Baby Carriage.

The single remaining matched plug set on the extension cord was the "emergency stop".

Well, not quite.

When you unplugged it, it took a while for the blade to spin down. So you better have enough time to deal with the emergency before then.

Non-emergency stops were not unusual. As one mowed the lawn it was necessary to be very careful about paying out the electrical cord, which was worn bandolier style over one's shoulder. Running over the cord with the Killer Baby Carriage required that the cord be respliced to restart the mower. This was typically done without disconnecting from the power source.

There were no skirts, sides, or other attempts at safety devices to protect the operator or passers-by from things flying out around the sides, front, and back of the blade. A strip of old tire was eventually stapled to the back of the plywood because my friend's dad got tired of having halves of rocks strike his calves and ankles.

Yes, the blade was fast enough and sharp enough to cut rocks.

The dog would hear it start up and go hide. Several trees around the yard bore the scars of an encounter with the Killer Baby Carriage.

Hearing it start up was also an experience. It was very quiet. And lethal. Kind of like a poisonous viper. At full power it merely emitted a soft whirring sound. All you really heard was the *spang* of small to mid-sized rocks and sticks hitting the blade.

However, it cut grass like you wouldn't believe.

Like a golf green.

Even, short, manicured.

Amazing.

My friend's father loved the Killer Baby Carriage, and forsook all commercial mowing devices, despite his family's best efforts to replace it, and keep dad upon this earth. I once assisted in returning the Killer Baby Carriage to the shed, where I discovered not one, or two, BUT THREE pristine and gleaming commercial lawnmowers that had been given as presents for birthday, Father's Day, and Christmas of various years.

The Killer Baby Carriage was unfortunately taken out of service some years ago because the plywood finally rotted through, but it live on in our hearts and stories.

None of this tale is exaggerated. Okay, the part about losing a dog to it isn't true. She was smart enough to hide. Independent confirmation of the Tale of the Killer Baby Carriage is available.

There are more "My Friend's Dad" stories. He liked to tinker with things. Some that he understood, some that he didn't.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 PM   #312
Nothing But Net
Professor

<b>wolf</b>, that's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The *spang* of a rock hit is a dead-on perfect description of the sound.

Last edited by Nothing But Net; 11-03-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:10 AM   #313
Elspode

More! More!!! More psychotic neighbor's tinkering Dad stories!

I have a friend whose dad was like that. He was engineer, and anything you might imagine about an engineer and his home projects is probably not too far off.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #314
Elspode

[quote=Kitsune]Whoa. Thanks, 404 -- that is extremely awesome! Had me wondering on how they pulled it off, so I dug up this picture of a similar craft.
QUOTE]

Flying lawnmowers are a great tradition of RC airplane clubs. We have a few of them in the KC area, in fact. And yes, they do look weird.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #315
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing But Net
<b>wolf</b>, that's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The *spang* of a rock hit is a dead-on perfect description of the sound.
I heard the actual sound often enough. The neighborhood learned to fear lawn mowing day.

Thank you all for your accolades! I will indeed pursue more of My Friend's Father stories!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor