The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
More Badassery by the Americans and the Canadians

http://webandtechs.com/2015/02/first...al-gold-medal/

Quote:
Being highly efficient in wartime combat, the 1st SSF killed 25 enemy soldiers for every Devil’s Brigade team member who was killed in battle. They captured 235 enemy soldiers for every Devil’s Brigade team member that was captured.

They were a team of former forest rangers, game wardens, lumberjacks, northwoodsmen, hunters, prospectors, and explorers. They were activated as the First Special Service Force on July 9, 1942. Lieutenant Colonel Robert T. Frederick was promoted to Colonel and assigned to be the unit’s commanding officer by, would-be U.S. President, General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's awesome.

Quote:
The worst is yet to come.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Good God ... awesome.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Shoulder patches: Devil's Brigade, Green Beret, SOCOM.

Name:  Joint US - Canadian 1st Special Service Force.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  6.4 KBName:  US Special Forces.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  16.8 KBName:  US Special Operations Command.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  9.5 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
regular.joe
Старый сержант

You SF guys, always thinking that SOCOM is just you. My SOCOM patch doesn't have that long tab.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
sexobon

Just though I'd show how unit lineage, mentioned in the linked article, is reflected in uniform shoulder patches and I used the first images I came across that were roughly the same size (only resized one).

PS: Back when I became SF qualified, there was no SF tab. That came about while I was still in service though. HALO wings; however, didn't happen until after I ETS'd.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
regular.joe
Старый сержант

You're an old guy. Thanks for your service. In many respects I don't think you'd recognize the force today. In many you would.

I really like looking into and understanding unit lineage, and the heraldry behind unit patches and crests. Our link to the past, and reminders that we represent more than ourselves. In most of the units I've been in we represent some pretty bad ass dudes and have a lot to uphold and live up to.

And editorial correction: That is a USASOC patch, the red background with the dagger on an arrow head. SOCOM is a Gold Spearhead on a black oval background.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I like unit/regimental histories. British army, but the same applies. i love how ideosyncratic they are, and the way odd stuff will get commemorated in some little way in the uniform, or the nicknames of regiments, and stick for centuries.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
I really like looking into and understanding unit lineage, and the heraldry behind unit patches and crests. Our link to the past, and reminders that we represent more than ourselves. In most of the units I've been in we represent some pretty bad ass dudes and have a lot to uphold and live up to.
While being careful not to, at least trying not to, inspire the assholes who would start WW III because 8 guys attack a US Base. Yeah guys, go fight the war I started, I'd like to help but my wife said no.

Thanks for being smarter than the average bear, Joe.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
sexobon

Quote:
... And editorial correction: That is a USASOC patch, the red background with the dagger on an arrow head. SOCOM is a Gold Spearhead on a black oval background.
I eventually remembered that; but, realized my mistake too late to edit. Although USSOCOM at MacDill was a fledgling organization during my time, I was familiar with its unit identifiers. USASOC; however, was just after my time. Correct me if I'm wrong; but, I take it that what I originally knew as the John F. Kennedy Center for Military Assistance (USAJFKCMA) and Special Forces Schools, which became the 1st Special Operations Command (1st SOCOM) and the JFK Special Warfare Center and School (USAJFKSWCS) while I was there, again morphed into the Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) with USAJFKSWCS remaining the same.

I think the 1st SOCOM memory combined with USASOC being unfamiliar led to my mislabeling the image as SOCOM. Conflating [shades of Brian Williams!] 1st SOCOM with USSOCOM is attributable to old age (haven't thought about this stuff for a quarter century).

That's my story and waterboarding won't change it.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Yea, actually it's been US Army Special Forces Command (USASFC), nested under USASOC for a long time now. And USAJFKSWCS has remained the same.

Nested under USSOCOM is USASOC, NAVSPECWARCOM, AFSOC, JSOC, and MARSOC.

Speaking of lineage and heraldry, I'm putting together a patch with the insignia from my "unit" in Pakistan, SOC-FWD Pakistan. Can you guess where we traced our lineage to?
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
I eventually remembered that; but, realized my mistake too late to edit. Although USSOCOM at MacDill was a fledgling organization during my time, I was familiar with its unit identifiers. USASOC; however, was just after my time. Correct me if I'm wrong; but, I take it that what I originally knew as the John F. Kennedy Center for Military Assistance (USAJFKCMA) and Special Forces Schools, which became the 1st Special Operations Command (1st SOCOM) and the JFK Special Warfare Center and School (USAJFKSWCS) while I was there, again morphed into the Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) with USAJFKSWCS remaining the same.

I think the 1st SOCOM memory combined with USASOC being unfamiliar led to my mislabeling the image as SOCOM. Conflating [shades of Brian Williams!] 1st SOCOM with USSOCOM is attributable to old age (haven't thought about this stuff for a quarter century).

That's my story and waterboarding won't change it.
You haven't yet met Penny...

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
sexobon

Quote:
... Can you guess where we traced our lineage to?
The arrowhead and sword are a dead giveaway ... Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men.

Is that the Sheriff of Nottingham with the beard?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
regular.joe
Старый сержант

LOL, that's us.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Robin Hood and Little John, walking through the forest,
Laughing back and forth at what the other one has to say,
Reminiscing this and that and having such a good time,
Oo-de-lolly, oo-de-lolly, golly, what a day!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote