The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #136
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

That's a kind thing to do, Glatt, for all concerned.

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #137
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good on ya, Glatt. If no other reason than being the one who made the decision.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #138
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You're his glattian angel.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #139
glatt

The fucking car alarm was going off the whole time, and it took me like 30 seconds to figure out how to open the hood. Fucking Fords. You open them with a key, and stick the key in the ignition, and start it, and still the alarm keeps blaring.

So many people were staring at me, but I acted like I knew what I was doing, and I was a white guy in my office clothes, so they didn't call the cops. I'm sure I looked flustered, which probably helped me.

Hopefully nobody will tell him. *shrug*

If I'm the one who starts it up again, I gotta remember to pull the horn fuse before I reconnect the battery. Piece of shit car.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #140
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you're sure the alarm sound wasn't just in your head, like those sleep noises?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #141
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Man, wouldn't that drive you insane...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #142
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My son's drum teacher broke up with us today.

I mean, it was never a great fit--the guy was not especially patient, and realistically Minifob would have quit eventually because he didn't have any passion behind it... but we were content to let him have fun in the meantime, and he was actually practicing, which is more than we ever managed with any other extracurricular activities.

But Minifob was having a rough day, and got pushed to tears during the lesson, and said he didn't really like drums anymore, and the guy immediately snapped up the opportunity to tell me, "Welp, looks like it isn't working out. It's fine, it's not for everyone."

I mean it's fine, because he's basically just saved me the trouble of politely firing him in another 6 months to a year. But I can't help but bristle at the fact that he effectively said, "You couldn't pay me to work with that kid."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #143
Griff
still says videotape

Good work glatt.

On to the next thing Clod?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #144
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Lots of meetings regarding him, and I'm hoping assisted living is in his very near future. I may end up with a durable power of attorney in all this. His dementia is getting bad.
Looks like I have a new responsibility.

My aunt and my mom were in town the last few days for their cousins reunion, and I was hoping all the cousins would work on this other cousin, Chris, to get him to agree to go into assisted living. But instead they were just working on getting him to agree to meet with a social worker yesterday. Which we all did.

The result of that meeting is that I'm going to find an in-home care agency that can send over workers to help take care of his needs for a few hours each day. Chris also agreed to change my "conditional" power of attorney to a regular power of attorney so I can help take care of his affairs now instead of waiting until he doesn't know his own name. I can take compensation for POA services, so I can just think of it as a second job. And since I already have enough on my plate, you had better believe I'll be paying myself for my services.

So basically I have a new responsibility, which I'm not entirely happy about, but I can see why it should be me, and I agreed to it. And hopefully, this in-home care will make it obvious that what's really needed is moving into a facility, and that can be next.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #145
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Does your power trip know no bounds?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #146
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It's a good man that takes on extra, unwanted, unneeded responsibilities.

Hairy knees, or, no.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #147
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Does your power trip know no bounds?
He's probably waiting until he's absolutely corrupted.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #148
glatt

And I got a lead on an in-home care provider!
The social worker had given me a photocopy of a directory of providers that operate in the county. Around 50 of them, and wouldn't give me any hints about which were good and which were bad. She suggested I Google each of them. Not very helpful.

But my FIL had made lots of friends in his nursing home when he lived there, and the marketing lady there even came to his funeral. Nice lady. So we called her up, since she's an industry insider, and she gave us a good lead. Very enthusiast about this one guy. He's out today, but his colleagues were quite helpful and I'll probably have a meeting with him early next week.

The ball's rolling.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #149
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The ball's rolling.
I knew you weren't wearing pants! I knew it!